P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

9 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Yeah, I spotted the checkmate trap you lined up - I had a brief phase of trying the Traxler countergambit  (another fierce anti-fried liver tactic, except it involves a bishop sacrificing itself on f2) and so I know the drill - if it looks like the bad guy's wise to the queen/rook fork, you check with the bishop instead, force that king to block the queen, and then leg it with your stolen f7 pawn.

Edit: Come to think of it, if I take the knight, you do more than recover, you win a piece by pawn-forking the knight and bishop.

That pawn fork only recovers the knight you've just taken, no?

The fact I had to google Traxler and Fried Liver perhaps tells its own story...

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

That pawn fork only recovers the knight you've just taken, no?

The fact I had to google Traxler and Fried Liver perhaps tells its own story...

Good point. I just had a brainfart. Either way, it didn't look like the best move on the board, which is the main thing.

As for you not knowing the more newbie-centric e4 opening names, isn't that primarily to do with you being Division C's primary exponent of the d4 game. I'm a bit hazy as to what anything beyond 'London System' and 'Queens Gambit Declined' even is. I know there's a world of fancy stuff with names mostly of the form Kings/Queens/Nimzo Indian Attack/Defence (delete as applicable) but it's all a murky world of scary stuff I know little about. I'm still not wholly convinced that the Queen's Gambit Accepted is even a thing.

21 hours ago, Loki said:

I suggest madwullie sponsors the league and cups ad infinitum.

This is a cracking idea.

Maybe even a wee charity tournament or something to help out with the GoFundMe?

Just now, Trogdor said:

Great shout. You coming out of retirement or still too feart of @DeeTillEhDeh

My ban wasn't overturned and Chess.com sent me an email saying, 'if you admit you broke our terms, we will allow you to create a new account' - I replied with a less than savoury response which led to me now being IP banned. :lol:

If people were willing to play their ties against me on Chess.com's (superior) competitor Lichess.org, I'd certainly do a one off return for a good cause!

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

My ban wasn't overturned and Chess.com sent me an email saying, 'if you admit you broke our terms, we will allow you to create a new account' - I replied with a less than savoury response which led to me now being IP banned. :lol:

If people were willing to play their ties against me on Chess.com's (superior) competitor Lichess.org, I'd certainly do a one off return for a good cause!

I actually prefer lichess anyway. I prefer the post game analysis. Chess.com annoys me with the you made an error crap when I didn't opt for mate in 5 but got mate in 7 instead. FFS thats not an error, its maybe a missed win if being harsh but not a blunder/error.

I thought you got banned for talking smack, no? You didn't talk smack to chess.com, did you? Geez, an ip ban is a smidge draconian. I use a vpn all the time so my ip varies. Surprised they've no banned me for multiple ips! 🙈

My short winning streak is over. 

Dandies1983 beats DieHardDoonhamer by resignation. 

I definitely feel like I've improved over the last few weeks. I made a really frustrating blunder in this one, but managed to get myself back in to it. However, I just couldn't see how I would be able to avoid defeat in the end, so elected against dragging it out any further.

Good game, I really enjoyed it.

3 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Dearyme beats mathematics by cm.

lasted a few moves before soiling my panties.

Tbf, you were much improved. The first 15 moves were all very good. I wasn't convinced by h3 and letting me take the pawn but the engine analysis says that is fine.

Bg5 was the error. Ng5 is better, as if Bxf1 (winning the exchange). You simply play Bf5+ (this means you win the Bishop on f1) and then after a king move you play Nxf7 winning a rook as you fork them on h8 and d8.

Good game, you are definitely improving. Keep at it.

Division C, Round 17
AimHere prises markf268's king out of his hideyhole with a rook sacrifice and wins by checkmate.
Was a good game - I felt I was in it more than the previous game against you, but little I could do about the move that won it.

In better news, a win for me over johnnydun418 to stop a run of defeats.