P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Div A Rd15

Ziggy the Spider beats AH13STu by resignation.

My opponent dropped a piece for a pawn early in the middle game which allowed me to reach a won endgame.

Thanks for the game

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

Div A Rd15

Ziggy the Spider beats AH13STu by resignation.

My opponent dropped a piece for a pawn early in the middle game which allowed me to reach a won endgame.

Thanks for the game

Yeah, I stupidly thought my Knight was covered.....obviously not. Then after all the exchanges, I couldn't see the point of wasting any more of your time. Looked like it could've been a more interesting game before the major error in judgment.

Cheers for the game.

[mention=36704]gkneil[/mention] [mention=22650]DeeTillEhDeh[/mention]
Just a heads up, I am actually going on a short holiday so my play will be really slow between Saturday and Wednesday/Thursday. 
My game from last week against[mention]Uncle Psychosis[/mention] is still going.

No rush.

Elrohan beats ChessBassGuitar - resignation.

There was still a little to go in this but looking at the different lines had me winning - his rook was trapped and Queen was tied to the rook to protect it.

It could have been so different if he had pushed his early advantage (caused by a mistake on my part) with his 2 knights, rook and bishop attacking - but, for some reason, he took the pawn with his rook when other more destructive options were avaliable.

I was fortunate he did not drive home that early advantage.Screenshot_20210611-135956_Chess.thumb.jpg.99e6baa1f2e4894125b604502eab5f4d.jpgScreenshot_20210611-140054_Chess.thumb.jpg.7233099a88c522ace8f9f3390a0b477a.jpg

Screenshot_20210611-140718_Chess.jpg

Can those more knowledgeable than me explain why this move is viewed as a mistake?

Screenshot_20210611-143323.thumb.jpg.8bbb4f9709a7cc34a1f6b35f9b179d64.jpg

And why this is viewed as the best move?

Screenshot_20210611-143345.thumb.jpg.8bcac9177ea79412788405643e4bbc3d.jpg

My thought was that moving the knight prevents a fork on both of my rooks. I get that I lost my bishop, but losing that is preferable to losing a rook.

Yeah I'm a bit annoyed about that, there was a reason I took with the rook which escapes me now but I think I just miscalculated completely. Oh well. 

The position at the end was just horrible to play, I couldn't face slogging it out hoping for you to blunder. I had bugger all moves that didn't lose, would have been reduced to shuffling my king around. 

5 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

My thought was that moving the knight prevents a fork on both of my rooks. I get that I lost my bishop, but losing that is preferable to losing a rook.

There were ways of preventing the fork without losing material, such as moving the light-squared bishop to cover the square.

The computer's best move allows Bxh6, and threatens Qxf8 mate, and I expect at the very least you win both black knights for a rook.

Can those more knowledgeable than me explain why this move is viewed as a mistake?

Because you have better attacking options. His rook may as well be off the board - for a 2pt loss the position is far better for you.

Yeah I'm a bit annoyed about that, there was a reason I took with the rook which escapes me now but I think I just miscalculated completely. Oh well. 
The position at the end was just horrible to play, I couldn't face slogging it out hoping for you to blunder. I had bugger all moves that didn't lose, would have been reduced to shuffling my king around. 
Yep - I was surprised and relieved you took with the rook - if you'd taken my Knight with your bishop I was really struggling. Ultimately it was the Knight that caused you problems at the end being boxed in.

58 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

It doesn’t matter how many rooks you have, when you checkmate someone.

I’d be looking for ways to continue the attack on the king.

(then I’d mess up the attack and lose, but it’s fun)

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

There were ways of preventing the fork without losing material, such as moving the light-squared bishop to cover the square.

The computer's best move allows Bxh6, and threatens Qxf8 mate, and I expect at the very least you win both black knights for a rook.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Because you have better attacking options. His rook may as well be off the board - for a 2pt loss the position is far better for you.

14 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

It doesn’t matter how many rooks you have, when you checkmate someone.

I’d be looking for ways to continue the attack on the king.

(then I’d mess up the attack and lose, but it’s fun)

Cheers folks, I see it now. Shows that I'm clearly still blind to the wider board.

Cheers folks, I see it now. Shows that I'm clearly still blind to the wider board.
You missed that his bishop is pinned to his other Knight so it is undefended - moving the pawn to d3 opens up the diagonal for you take the Knight with the bishop and get a lethal attack on his pinned bishop. If he moves the undefended Knight he is still in trouble.

Some possible positions below - as Ziggy says - keep the attack going.
Screenshot_20210611-163746_Chess.thumb.jpg.82b438fefddc21cb1c1edf0ca7252502.jpgScreenshot_20210611-163606_Chess.thumb.jpg.a730f0ec9c73428693ce5de64f7b8d7e.jpgScreenshot_20210611-163551_Chess.thumb.jpg.faac71dd8c296905c88361bbb4691cab.jpg

18 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

AH13STU beats gkneil 

A solid game from my opponent until he went all in with his passed pawn allowing pieces to be left to the dogs in search of becoming an elusive queen. Had to be careful not to make my recurring, ability of late, errors to hold on for the win.

Good effort mate, pushed me hard.

Aye, is withered between letting the Knight go to push the pawn and then did the same with the Bishop. Considered offering a draw prior to that but go big or go home! You didn’t miss a step once I went for it, well played