P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Only 1 game to go in Division C but all the important stuff has been resolved 

Congrats to PnBMathematics who finishes as champion and will be promoted to Division B along with cols407

paakman01 will be entered into the playoffs 

Division C
P
W
L
D
Pts
PnBMathematics
cols407
paakman01
RBWatson
mackieboz
The_kid1433
RicheyEdwards
DieHardDoonhamer
hammysgp
LvivKarpaty

Also a few games to go in the second tier but all the important stuff is also resolved 

gkneil wins the league and is promoted back to Division A along with AH13STU 

pleslie999 will be entered into the playoffs 

Dandies1983 will play paakman01 for the chance to play in Division B next season

markf268 and Strachanovski are relegated  

Difficult season with a few drop outs 

Division B
P
W
L
D
Pts
gkneil
AH13STU
pleslie999
Arabjoe
invergowrie
Dandies1983
Strachanovski
markf268

Edited by Frank Grimes

Few things still be decided in the top flight at both ends of the table

Purplekangaroo89 had been relegated to the second tier after three seasons in the top flight 

Division A
P
W
L
D
Pts
Dearyme
eindhovendee
Ziggy
GCarlos9
Board_Stupid
AimHere
beef2711
el_scorgio
Purplekangaroo89

• Frank Grimes changed the title to P&B Chess League - CUP DRAW and UPDATES p201-202

One issue with the Division A and B league tables is that the total of the 'Played' games is an odd number, which is a hint that you've not recorded the games correctly (since every game appears twice there). Unless you're actually counting the games of dropped-out players rather than voiding them, that shouldn't happen. AH13STU's W+D+L doesn't add up to his P, which is one place to look. Also my row in the table appears to be right, so the error probably isn't there.

In other news, I'm still in for next season.

Edited by Aim Here

Few things still be decided in the top flight at both ends of the table
Purplekangaroo89 had been relegated to the second tier after three seasons in the top flight 
Division A P W L D Pts
Dearyme 16 12 2 2 38
eindhovendee 15 11 2 2 35
Ziggy 16 9 3 4 31
GCarlos9 16 7 6 3 24
Board_Stupid 16 5 8 3 18
AimHere 16 6 10 0 18
beef2711 14 5 8 1 16
el_scorgio 14 3 8 3 12
Purplekangaroo89 16 3 13 0 9
Who has eindhovendee left to play?

If it's a tie then I assume the head-to-head between him and DearyMe will come into play.

How does it stand there?

Possible playoff for the title?

Not sure where it went missing, but have sent beef2711 our return match which takes me to 16 after my current game with eindhovendee is finished. Not sure where his other fixture is. 

Edited by Scorge

2 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

For those interested in playing next season just keep an eye on the thread and make yourselves known again where we are getting ready for next season 

@cal234ey ready for our playoff game when you are 

I am black, you are white 

Just sent you an invite. I wasn't expecting a playoff, thought I'd chucked it away with some poor form to end the season.

2 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Only 1 game to go in Division C but all the important stuff has been resolved 

Congrats to PnBMathematics who finishes as champion and will be promoted to Division B along with cols407

paakman01 will be entered into the playoffs 

Division C
P
W
L
D
Pts
PnBMathematics
cols407
paakman01
RBWatson
mackieboz
The_kid1433
RicheyEdwards
DieHardDoonhamer
hammysgp
LvivKarpaty

Well played @mathematics and @ShaggysBeard, best of luck in Division B.

12 minutes ago, cal234ey said:

Just sent you an invite. I wasn't expecting a playoff, thought I'd chucked it away with some poor form to end the season.

No, that would be me you're thinking of!

22 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Who has eindhovendee left to play?

If it's a tie then I assume the head-to-head between him and DearyMe will come into play.

How does it stand there?

Possible playoff for the title?

I believe the head-to-head results are 2-0 to eindhovendee, and I think the outstanding fixture is versus beef2711.

30 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, Aim Here said:
I believe the head-to-head results are 2-0 to eindhovendee, and I think the outstanding fixture is versus beef2711.

So he wins that and DearyMe is pipped at the post - for the second year running.

It appears to be worse than that. DearyMe should probably only be on 35 points and has to beat beef2711 to get to 38. (The League table mistake I alluded to earlier is that a game between board_stupid and DearyMe was double-reported and accidentally updated as such but only board_stupid's row in the table had a correction).

I make it:

Division A P W D L Pts
eindhovendee 15 11 2 2 35
DearyMe 15 11 2 2 35
Ziggy 16 9 4 3 31
GCarlos9 16 7 3 6 24
beef2711 15 6 1 8 19
AimHere 16 6 0 10 18
Board_Stupid 16 5 3 8 18
el_scorgio 15 3 3 9 12
Purplekangaroo89 16 3 0 13 9

With two matches to go:

beef2711 vs DearyMe

el_scorgio vs eindhovendee

Edited by Aim Here

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
3 hours ago, Aim Here said:

So he wins that and DearyMe is pipped at the post - for the second year running.

Tiebreaker

If you’re equal on points and in a key league position i.e. top then Champion will be decided on who won all their games combined in the least amount of moves.

^Good luck to whoever has to calculate that one!

Edited by Trogdor

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

Tiebreaker

If you’re equal on points and in a key league position i.e. top then Champion will be decided on who won all their games combined in the least amount of moves.

^Good luck to whoever has to calculate that one!

Doesn't that conflict directly with this, from a couple of sentences earlier in the same post?

If players are level on points at the end of the season, head to head will be used as a decider then games won. If still no way of separating them, there will be a playoff with highest finisher from previous season playing as white. If no playoff, highest finisher from previous season will win. If players did not play previously and a playoff is not possible, lots will be drawn.

The latter system seems a bit more sensible - counting moves for won games is both a bit of work and seems a bit non-optimal - it'll usually come down to which tied player has won the fewest games, which doesn't seem like the best thing to select for!

2 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Doesn't that conflict directly with this, from a couple of sentences earlier in the same post?

The latter system seems a bit more sensible - counting moves for won games is both a bit of work and seems a bit non-optimal - it'll usually come down to which tied player has won the fewest games, which doesn't seem like the best thing to select for!

It does conflict, that's a bit bizarre.

I don't disagree. It's all a bit academic anyway as I don't think we'll both win tbh.

I should say my 80+ move loss to Eindhovendee was in no way influenced by the tiebreaker rule! 🤣

I probably do need to simplify the rules :lol:

Cross that bridge etc

I preserved my status in Division B by beating paakman01 in the play off by checkmate 

He turned down an early Queen trade but that led to me being able to fork the King and Queen and get checkmate soon after 

GG

12 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

I probably do need to simplify the rules :lol:

Cross that bridge etc

I preserved my status in Division B by beating paakman01 in the play off by checkmate 

He turned down an early Queen trade but that led to me being able to fork the King and Queen and get checkmate soon after 

GG

Well played, seaside leagues for me again it is, and justifiably so.

'Turned down' is not how I would describe the missed Queen trade :lol:. I set it up as I thought it was my best way of getting out of a tricky spot and inexplicably failed to follow through on it.