2022 travel plans

Ylf

Booked Belfast in June for a long weekend. Just going alone and trying to tie in the Kings of Leon gig whilst there but won't be too fussed if miss out - first time flying out of Dundee. 

Will see a few mates and try to get somewhere abroad booked September. 

On 09/12/2021 at 16:09, Craig the Hunter said:

Meant to be meeting the in-laws in Rome in May, but we'll see if it happens with travel restrictions from the US. My father in-law isn't particularly confident that they'll be able to go, hopefully he's panicking over nothing!

I’ve got SxSW in Austin in March.  I’ve booked our music passes, and arranged the hotel.  I’m guessing January will be the make or break, but I’m certainly not planning on cancelling.  

55 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’ve got SxSW in Austin in March.  I’ve booked our music passes, and arranged the hotel.  I’m guessing January will be the make or break, but I’m certainly not planning on cancelling.  

Incredible festival. Do not miss under any circumstances.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Girth said:

I really want to go abroad this year (big 4-0).

To those who have flown, how much of an arse is it generally now?

It's not that bad and it's likely to get easier. From Sunday for most countries you'll have to fill in an online form before getting on the plane in both directions and book a private LFT to take when you get back home. That's it, assuming you're fully vaxxed. For some countries you'll have to take a test before flying out.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's not that bad and it's likely to get easier. From Sunday for most countries you'll have to fill in an online form before getting on the plane in both directions and book a private LFT to take when you get back home. That's it, assuming you're fully vaxxed. For some countries you'll have to take a test before flying out.

Cheers mate. 

Yeah, triple jabbed. 

On 21/09/2021 at 20:47, MONKMAN said:

Had Vegas, Yosemite and San Francisco cancelled last year, so I’ll hopefully get that sorted for May/June

Sorted for May/June.

5 nights in Vegas, then hired a mustang convertible. Drive through Death Valley to Yosemite. 4 nights there hiking and climbing. Then onto San Francisco for 6 nights. 

Added a stop off in Toronto for 5 days on the way home to see one of my best mates and his wife, who’ve just had a baby. 

Also got Dublin racing festival at Leopardstown in February. 

Was hoping to get away skiing as well but that’ll need to be next year I think. 

13 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Sorted for May/June.

5 nights in Vegas, then hired a mustang convertible. Drive through Death Valley to Yosemite. 4 nights there hiking and climbing. Then onto San Francisco for 6 nights. 

Added a stop off in Toronto for 5 days on the way home to see one of my best mates and his wife, who’ve just had a baby. 

Also got Dublin racing festival at Leopardstown in February. 

Was hoping to get away skiing as well but that’ll need to be next year I think. 

Where are you staying in Vegas? We’ve done Vdara twice and Caesar’s palace, both really decent hotels. Vdara is a good option because its classed as ‘off strip’ making it cheaper but is directly linked to Bellagio and Aria in the middle of the strip.
I really like San Francisco, if you get the chance to go to a Giants game you should, cheap tickets and a pretty spectacular view over the bay. There are some really nice places to eat. If youre doing the cable cars then try get up early and catch one of the first ones of the day as they are usually empty. Sausalito is worth a quick visit for lunch etc too. 

We’re due to be jetting off to Orlando a week on friday if the 5 of us can avoid the omicron stuff, which given the rates and her being NHS we arent completely confident with as its a lat flow test day before. 

5 nights in Vegas, then hired a mustang convertible. Drive through Death Valley to Yosemite.

Wondered who you used for the car hire and how you found the pricing. Car hire costs have gone through the roof presumably because most car hire companies aren’t carrying anything like the levels of vehicles they used to pre-COVID as well as the industry not rolling over and having their tummies tickled on pricing for once.

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Wondered who you used for the car hire and how you found the pricing. Car hire costs have gone through the roof presumably because most car hire companies aren’t carrying anything like the levels of vehicles they used to pre-COVID as well as the industry not rolling over and having their tummies tickled on pricing for once.

Booked it through BA with the flights 

Booked it through BA with the flights 

Cheers

Recently came across a couple of other websites to check in addition to the usual Kayak/Skyscanner and Holiday Autos/RentalCars.com options:

Turo.com and Autoslash.com - not used either yet and Turo seems to be where individuals rent out their own vehicles but might be useful to someone.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

If you can get a deal as part of a package great, dont take out the extra insurance that they try and sell you, take out an ‘insurance4carhire’ world wide policy and you’ll get a fully comp annual hire car policy for £109 a year. Ive had two claims via this paid for in full and all its cost me is the £109. 

5 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

Has anyone done the fit to fly pcr test thing? We need to get one no more than 24 hours before flying out to America in March, wondering if anyone has any recommendations on where to go for it.

Hopefully come March the need for it might not be there but I doubt it

Pretty sure you just need an LFT rather than a PCR, but it has to be done in person rather than a diy home kit. There might be a firm that does it by video link that the Yanks will accept, but I'd just book one at Boots or somewhere. Results are really quick, a PCR 24 hours before flying would be a nightmare, and very expensive to guarantee you got the results in time. Obviously don't book anything until about a week before your flight, you might not need one as you said.