2022 travel plans

Ylf

2 hours ago, ChrisMFCfan1886 said:

Anyone got any advice and recommendations for Faro? Going for Fulham's pre season in the Algarve Cup in July but never been to Portugal.

If you're after a traditional Portuguese restaurant you can't get much more authentic than Adega Nova on Rua Francisco Barreto, just up from the railway station. Order the set menu and hope for the best. A short ferry ride takes you from the town centre to the beach. You might find somewhere a bit cheaper to stay in Olhao, a few miles East, or if you want a tourist resort Albufeira's a few miles west. Public transport's good with the train the simplest to figure out, goes along near the coast in both directions so it's easy to get to and from Faro from most places. There's a train that takes you not far from the stadium but it's still a bit of a hike as I remember it.

Edited by welshbairn

On 17/06/2022 at 07:58, ChrisMFCfan1886 said:

Anyone got any advice and recommendations for Faro? Going for Fulham's pre season in the Algarve Cup in July but never been to Portugal.

Faro is ok plenty of bars food shops etc and a bit less touristy as most head to Albefueira.The stadium is a complete ball ache to get to though by public transport if there's a few of you I'd try and pre hire a local minibus type taxi or ask your hotel for help.Find the maccy d,s and just up from it there is a small square is the easiest way to describe how to find bars etc

On 17/06/2022 at 09:17, welshbairn said:

If you're after a traditional Portuguese restaurant you can't get much more authentic than Adega Nova on Rua Francisco Barreto, just up from the railway station. Order the set menu and hope for the best. A short ferry ride takes you from the town centre to the beach. You might find somewhere a bit cheaper to stay in Olhao, a few miles East, or if you want a tourist resort Albufeira's a few miles west. Public transport's good with the train the simplest to figure out, goes along near the coast in both directions so it's easy to get to and from Faro from most places. There's a train that takes you not far from the stadium but it's still a bit of a hike as I remember it.

2 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Faro is ok plenty of bars food shops etc and a bit less touristy as most head to Albefueira.The stadium is a complete ball ache to get to though by public transport if there's a few of you I'd try and pre hire a local minibus type taxi or ask your hotel for help.Find the maccy d,s and just up from it there is a small square is the easiest way to describe how to find bars etc

Thanks guys, we eventually booked a hotel in Quarteira right next to the beach which doesn't look too bad. As you say the stadium does look a pain in the arse to get to though! Looks like there is a lot of choice food-wise too!

16 minutes ago, ChrisMFCfan1886 said:

Thanks guys, we eventually booked a hotel in Quarteira right next to the beach which doesn't look too bad. As you say the stadium does look a pain in the arse to get to though! Looks like there is a lot of choice food-wise too!

Quarteira looks good, let us know how it goes please, looking for somewhere else to stay near Faro.

1 hour ago, ChrisMFCfan1886 said:

Good choice I go to Vilamoura a few times a year which is just along the road

• 1 month later...

Meant to have been flying out to Corfu from Newcastle earlly this morning but had to cancel at the last minute late yesterday - wife diagnosed with Accelerated Hypertension by her GP and advised not to fly.

Put the claim in with Admiral this morning - only the package cost to claim for as I've managed to get refunds for everything else.

Anyone know what additional information we'll need to provide? I assume a letter/signed form from GP plus evidence of the holiday booking?

• 2 weeks later...

Booked my first Mannheim hockey trip since october 2019. Flying out 25/10 and home on 31/10.  Usually fly from Edinburgh as the Glasgow Lufhansa flights were late afternoon and not ideal for then having to get to Mannheim, but they've brought them forward and the route now departs before 1pm. Flying business class this time too - I know its short haul so there won't be a whole lot of nice things, but Lufthansa had stripped out all of the wee things they used to do for economy flights and I fancied lounge access as well. The return flight is mid morning, rather than the late afternoon I'm used to with their Edinburgh flights, and that suits me.

Pkanning to fly out Tuesday and attend:

Hockey (home game) v iserlohn - Wednesday

Hockey (home game) v Frankfurt - Friday

Football - Waldhof Mannheim v Dynamo Dresden - Saturday

Hockey (away game) v Nuremberg - Sunday,. I'll be on the supporters bus if I can get it sorted. Should be a fun experience.

Fly home Monday.

I'll do the usual tourist stuff. Having a full day without sport (Thursday) gives me a chance to either visit a  city I havent really visited other than a couple of hours for football (Karlsruhe) or spend a more relaxing time in Heidelberg. I've done the castle tour loads of times but I keep going back because each tour guide tells slightly different stories and Heidelberg is a nice place to just wander about for a few hours.

I've had the time off work booked for about a month now. Basically since the fixture list for the ice hockey was announced. The lack of the usual once a season Friday/Sunday home double was annoying and I wasn't sure about going for 6 days. Decided to go for it as its been 3 years since my last trip. Why not?

• 1 month later...

Off to Porto on Monday where we start the Camino walk to Santiago de Compostela.  Just over 200 km in about 12 days.  Really looking forward to this, been a bucket list item for a few years now.  We booked some time in Porto and Lisbon after the walk before we fly back to Canada.  Any tips on both places would be appreciated. 

Booked a week in Lviv and Ivano Frankivsk for next month. Going to be a very emotional, sombre experience, but I can’t wait to see some friends and toast to those who have perished. 

Going Edinburgh- Krakow with a night in Krakow then Krakow - Pzemysl - L’viv on the train. On the way back it’s Warsaw - Glasgow, I’ve never been to Krakow or Warsaw so any tips for those places would be good, even if I’m only spending a few hours there.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Any recommendations for Belgium? 

Flying into Amsterdam due to far cheaper flights and superior flight times.

Planning to spend New Year in Belgium, looking at Antwerp or Ghent for a few days, with a day trip at some point.

Antwerp gets a few thumbs up in the Overrated / Underrated thread, I liked it and it's dead easy to get to from Schiphol, direct train iirc. A day trip to Bruges would be easy.

Edited by welshbairn

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Antwerp gets a few thumbs up in the Overrated / Underrated thread, I liked it and it's dead easy to get to from Schiphol, direct train iirc. A day trip to Bruges would be easy.

Cheers, I noticed its direct from Schipol which puts it in pole position. 

After watching in Bruges the misses reckons she has seen enough of it........ Would Ghent be worth a trip or Brussels the best choice?

Leuven is a cracking place to go to.Big student town so will be quiet during the holiday season,lovely wee square full of pubs .Ghent is ok for a couple of days.Antwerp will be bouncing loads of dutchies head there for weekends and holiday season.Brussels is ok for day or so but like most capital cities it's just a big working city.

18 hours ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Cheers, I noticed its direct from Schipol which puts it in pole position. 

After watching in Bruges the misses reckons she has seen enough of it........ Would Ghent be worth a trip or Brussels the best choice?

I've been to both but only for day trips - for a single day there's not much to choose between them but for any longer Brussels would win.  

Anyone been to La Coruna in Spain? Got a day there off a cruise ship and from looking on Google Earth, the cruise port is right in town. Looks like a decent plan would be to walk the length of the big beach from the Deportivo La Coruna stadium end, to the old town and square end. Ducking and diving up a few streets en route. Anyone been?