2022 travel plans

Ylf

1 hour ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Has anyone ever used a paper rail pass from EU Rail/ Interrail?

Two weeks in Europe starting in Bologna, and finishing in Munich. Not 100% sure how the paper passes work, but have used the mobile pass last summer.

If it's anything like train tickets in Europe that I've used they just scan the QR code, so it doesn't matter if you print it out or have it on your phone.

19 minutes ago, kilMARKnock said:

The other half has booked a cruise for my 50th in September aboard that Worlds new biggy Wonder of the Seas. The boy coming and she has also persuaded one of the boys and his Mrs. Any P&B's cruisers as I don't really know what to expect?

@pozbaird

3 hours ago, kilMARKnock said:

The other half has booked a cruise for my 50th in September aboard that Worlds new biggy Wonder of the Seas. The boy coming and she has also persuaded one of the boys and his Mrs. Any P&B's cruisers as I don't really know what to expect?

Ta Welshbairn. 😀

Funnily enough, only two days ago we booked a cruise on the big Royal Carribean Symphony of the Seas, for November 2023. This will be our first ever cruise on Royal Caribbean, never mind on one of their biggest ships. We’ve been on Celebrity X, Princess, and Carnival. While I haven’t experienced the RCL mega ships yet, I’ve been on the biggest, newest Carnival ships, and having only done smaller ship cruises prior to that, I actually thought the big cruise ship experience was brilliant. I’m looking forward to the RCL cruise, I’m sure you’ll have a fantastic time. Their mega ships look amazing.

Edited by pozbaird

30 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Ta Welshbairn. 😀

Funnily enough, only two days ago we booked a cruise on the big Royal Carribean Symphony of the Seas, for November 2023. This will be our first ever cruise on Royal Caribbean, never mind on one of their biggest ships. We’ve been on Celebrity X, Princess, and Carnival. While I haven’t experienced the RCL mega ships yet, I’ve been on the biggest, newest Carnival ships, and having only done smaller ship cruises prior to that, I actually thought the big cruise ship experience was brilliant. I’m looking forward to the RCL cruise, I’m sure you’ll have a fantastic time. Their mega ships look amazing.

Cheers Mate, ship does look fucking bonkers.

2 hours ago, kilMARKnock said:

Cheers Mate, ship does look fucking bonkers.

Sorry I don’t have any experience of Royal Caribbean, but on the subject of ‘bonkers’, I can tell you something that might be of help which I have certainly experienced when cruising with anyone. I’ve posted somewhere before about this, and I’m not sure where your departure port is - but my experience is that the whole pre-boarding and initial boarding experience is completely bonkers, mental busy, everyone rushing around. It’s like going to a fitba’ match for a 3pm kick off, and it feels like everyone has turned up at five to three.

Our first ever cruise was out of Miami on Carnival, we never knew what to expect. The cruise port was crazy busy, everyone is naturally excited and dead keen to get on board and get the holiday started, but there’s queues to check in, hoops to jump through, more queues, health questionaires, all the stuff you need to get through before you even get on board. Then when you get on board, it’s still mental. Everyone trying to find their room, get an elevator, get to the food court, get a drink… never having cruised before, we got caught up in all the chaos and thought the entire cruise experience was going to be mental - it isn’t though. Once you get on board, get settled in, get the mandatory muster done, and you are unpacked and the ship gets ready to pull out of port - everything changes. Instantly. Everyone suddenly chills and is in holiday mode.

I reckon this is good advice if you’ve never cruised before - especially if you are travelling in a party. Be aware that madness initially ensues. Take a deep breath, negotiate the queues and the hoops you need to jump through calmly, the ship isn’t going anywhere, so no need to join the heidless’ chickens rushing around. We were knackered just getting to our room on our first cruise. I can only imagine on a big mega RCL ship the pre-boarding and boarding experience will be manic too.

Once you’re out on deck with that first cold beer watching puff-away from port though… worth every moment of the madness… it’s mad getting off at the end of the cruise too mind you. 😜

Sorry I don’t have any experience of Royal Caribbean, but on the subject of ‘bonkers’, I can tell you something that might be of help which I have certainly experienced when cruising with anyone. I’ve posted somewhere before about this, and I’m not sure where your departure port is - but my experience is that the whole pre-boarding and initial boarding experience is completely bonkers, mental busy, everyone rushing around. It’s like going to a fitba’ match for a 3pm kick off, and it feels like everyone has turned up at five to three.
Our first ever cruise was out of Miami on Carnival, we never knew what to expect. The cruise port was crazy busy, everyone is naturally excited and dead keen to get on board and get the holiday started, but there’s queues to check in, hoops to jump through, more queues, health questionaires, all the stuff you need to get through before you even get on board. Then when you get on board, it’s still mental. Everyone trying to find their room, get an elevator, get to the food court, get a drink… never having cruised before, we got caught up in all the chaos and thought the entire cruise experience was going to be mental - it isn’t though. Once you get on board, get settled in, get the mandatory muster done, and you are unpacked and the ship gets ready to pull out of port - everything changes. Instantly. Everyone suddenly chills and is in holiday mode.
I reckon this is good advice if you’ve never cruised before - especially if you are travelling in a party. Be aware that madness initially ensues. Take a deep breath, negotiate the queues and the hoops you need to jump through calmly, the ship isn’t going anywhere, so no need to join the heidless’ chickens rushing around. We were knackered just getting to our room on our first cruise. I can only imagine on a big mega RCL ship the pre-boarding and boarding experience will be manic too.
Once you’re out on deck with that first cold beer watching puff-away from port though… worth every moment of the madness… it’s mad getting off at the end of the cruise too mind you. [emoji12]
Marella is probably the one cruising firm that isn't like that due to most passengers arriving on the day via staggered Tui flights.

They stagger their muster events as well.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Marella is probably the one cruising firm that isn't like that due to most passengers arriving on the day via staggered Tui flights.

They stagger their muster events as well.

Apparently on our RCL cruise instead of the big organised muster, they are staggering it - every passenger gets sent a muster video to them prior to the cruise. The video tells you your muster station. On embarkation day, every passenger has to go to their assigned muster station where a member of staff chalks you off the list (maybe you get a gold star for attending). Everyone has to show up, but at any time you want before setting sail. I reckon it is a better idea. Not because of Covid or anything, just because it does stop thousands of people jamming the stairwells and elevators at the same time. On the downside, I quite liked the traditional muster process. When it ended, it was holiday begins time. 😀

Edited by pozbaird

Has anyone been to Switzerland recently? Seems UK passport holders are the only punters in Europe who still need to show proof of vaccination (booster) to get in without a test, though I imagine it's probably not even checked at this stage. Nonetheless, if this is required do you need the Scottish NHS/Covid app, or just the PDF with proof of your doses?

So we had booked a cruise with Disney Cruise Line, Barcelona-naples-rome-livorno-nice. Did the 30 day check in thing and they kindly told us that because our son is 4 and not vaccinated for covid that he can only leave the boat on one of their tours, due to ‘cdc’ guidance. We just wanted to stoat about the cities, do some pizza in Naples, get a train into Rome and train into Pisa, had no real intention on doing guided tours because thats not great for a 4 year old. Apparently its ok for us to pay Disney £450 for a day trip to Rome that has us on a bus to Rome and then 9 hours of ‘free time’ to explore the city on foot, but its not ok for us to get the train in and explore the city on foot? Utterly fucking mental. We’ve got a refund, got 90% of our flight and car hire etc from the week before back from BA (although they’ve tried to send us out a voucher but have been told to get the money sent). So we’ve booked a tui fly drive to Orlando for those dates instead and a week in Sorrento in July with the money we would have spent on this holiday. Gutted as we were really excited about this cruise but am I f**k being strong armed into paying them thousands just so we can get off the boat. 

On 18/04/2022 at 20:50, the snudge said:

Took the kids to Disney in Paris, day one of 5 in a Disney Parks Hotel which is okay.

Stayed the first night and staying the last night at the same Air bnb in Serris which is close by. The guy who is hosting is accusing us of leaving his door wide open upon leaving which is a load of shite as I went back to check we hadn't left anything, I'm para about that kind of thing. The guy had a right stinking attitude from the start, I had to phone him to get check in details which he had failed to send. His place stated he had WiFi, it didn't, the bathroom had a damp mouldy smell, cupboards looked okay but we're falling apart and the back of the couch fell off, blind collapsed aswell. I'm dreading going back there for the last night before we fly out. Feel like cancelling and finding somewhere else. Long story but has anyone had any experience with refunds from air bnb if I do cancel the last night? Is it tricky?

Sorry i presume you’ve already got this sorted. We had a disaster when we booked an Airbnb in Austin Texas, place was filthy, so i took loads of pictures/videos etc and complained to their customer services line about how the place wasnt as advertised/filthy and got a full refund after they reviewed everything. Air bnb were absolutely decent to deal with. 

29 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Has anyone been to Switzerland recently? Seems UK passport holders are the only punters in Europe who still need to show proof of vaccination (booster) to get in without a test, though I imagine it's probably not even checked at this stage. Nonetheless, if this is required do you need the Scottish NHS/Covid app, or just the PDF with proof of your doses?

Scrap that. Stick a fork in it, lads.

5 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Once you’re out on deck with that first cold beer watching puff-away from port though… worth every moment of the madness… it’s mad getting off at the end of the cruise too mind you. 😜

Fantastic, thanks and you'll be surprised at the timing as I've just seen us win a league for the first time ever 😀 

13 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Delighted that Spain has ditched the need for face masks inside.

Except for on public transport, I believe? Same as Portugal (and France?)

The final bit of pantomime...

Used the VeriFLY app for our US trip and can recommend it. Didn’t have to show any of the individual test/vaccination details just the VeriFLY approval and there were specific VeriFLY check in desks that meant you went straight to an agent rather having to wait in the general check in queue.

I'm planning a trip to the Netherlands in a couple of months (Groningen and Amsterdam / Haarlem, probably). What's the deal with using my Starling debit card over there? I've read conflicting things - Starling say it's fine but a few things online say that MasterCard and Visa aren't widely accepted outside of Amsterdam.

I'll be taking cash with me anyway but just wanted to know if I'll be fine with my card or should get a travel card?

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

I'm planning a trip to the Netherlands in a couple of months (Groningen and Amsterdam / Haarlem, probably). What's the deal with using my Starling debit card over there? I've read conflicting things - Starling say it's fine but a few things online say that MasterCard and Visa aren't widely accepted outside of Amsterdam.

I'll be taking cash with me anyway but just wanted to know if I'll be fine with my card or should get a travel card?

Visa isn't accepted in a lot of places. All the main bank cards are Maestro as far as I can remember. I think Mastercard is okay though, but worth checking that.