2022 travel plans

Ylf

50 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Can't find any direct flights but Edinburgh or Aberdeen via Gdansk with Wizzair could be worth a look.

Btw Gdansk is a cracking place to stop for a couple of days in the summer, and Wizzair can be really cheap if you only take a small bag.

3 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

It’s Bielefeld specifically I’m looking at, but just anywhere in Germany really. It’s a 4 hour train from Berlin which I don’t mind (£31!) but was just looking to see if anywhere was closer.

Ukraine is out of the question for the foreseeable so I’m just looking for general routes for a holiday later in the year. Any recommendations? (Apart from Serbia - a quick look at my passport history and they’d either jail or deport me before I got land side.)

What stamps you got that will annoy Serbia? I entered with a Kosovo stamp

9 minutes ago, Ekhibee88 said:

What stamps you got that will annoy Serbia? I entered with a Kosovo stamp

I'd imagine it's all the Ukraine stamps he's talking about, a lot of Serbs have a stauner for Putin, especially after NATO bombed them.

Edited by welshbairn

Wife has taken ill in Jamaica - thankfully we are fully covered so will be able to claim back - and had the okay twice from the insurers.

Just had to pay a deposit of $4,500 to cover the medical treatment and her overnight stay in hospital - just mental.

And another $387 added to the bill - she's out though and has a fit to fly certificate.

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
19 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
Wife has taken ill in Jamaica - thankfully we are fully covered so will be able to claim back - and had the okay twice from the insurers.

Just had to pay a deposit of $4,500 to cover the medical treatment and her overnight stay in hospital - just mental.

And another $387 added to the bill - she's out though and has a fit to fly certificate.

Hope she's ok. What would have happened if you didn't have that much money available?

Hope she's ok. What would have happened if you didn't have that much money available?
They haven't actually taken anything - just put a hold on my credit card - insurers had already contacted the hospital and they gave the invoice - a ridiculous $3,900. I suppose if you didn't have a card you'd have had to contact the insurer first and let them direct you to a hospital - ours was an emergency - personally my wife's health is more important than quibbling over the cost which I do expect to get covered - I did keep the insurer updated - especially as there was a major change in circumstances as she was kept in overnight and received a course of intravenous antibiotics.

She was discharged yesterday just an hour and a half before our pickup time - had a fit to fly certificate so she was fine to travel. We've arrived back in Manchester and are waiting on our flight to Aberdeen.

We still had a great time despite the last few days.

A bit of advice if you are going to Jamaica - have lots of small US dollar denominations for tips - it's almost expected that you tip on trips etc. And be prepared to be constantly stopped by people trying to get you to buy spirits, tobacco and weed.

Took the kids to Disney in Paris, day one of 5 in a Disney Parks Hotel which is okay.

Stayed the first night and staying the last night at the same Air bnb in Serris which is close by. The guy who is hosting is accusing us of leaving his door wide open upon leaving which is a load of shite as I went back to check we hadn't left anything, I'm para about that kind of thing. The guy had a right stinking attitude from the start, I had to phone him to get check in details which he had failed to send. His place stated he had WiFi, it didn't, the bathroom had a damp mouldy smell, cupboards looked okay but we're falling apart and the back of the couch fell off, blind collapsed aswell. I'm dreading going back there for the last night before we fly out. Feel like cancelling and finding somewhere else. Long story but has anyone had any experience with refunds from air bnb if I do cancel the last night? Is it tricky?

13 hours ago, the snudge said:

Took the kids to Disney in Paris, day one of 5 in a Disney Parks Hotel which is okay.

Stayed the first night and staying the last night at the same Air bnb in Serris which is close by. The guy who is hosting is accusing us of leaving his door wide open upon leaving which is a load of shite as I went back to check we hadn't left anything, I'm para about that kind of thing. The guy had a right stinking attitude from the start, I had to phone him to get check in details which he had failed to send. His place stated he had WiFi, it didn't, the bathroom had a damp mouldy smell, cupboards looked okay but we're falling apart and the back of the couch fell off, blind collapsed aswell. I'm dreading going back there for the last night before we fly out. Feel like cancelling and finding somewhere else. Long story but has anyone had any experience with refunds from air bnb if I do cancel the last night? Is it tricky?

I've cancelled before with AirBnb with no bother, but not so close to the stay, check the cancellation conditions on your trip rules. I'd say your best chance is sending the host a message, explaining in detail why you're cancelling and that you're expecting the money returned pronto. Don't threaten him with a bad review, it will be obvious to him without saying it and it could look bad to airbnb if you threaten him explicitly. I've never had to contact Airbnb directly so I don't know what they're like to deal with, maybe best to try that first but I wouldn't spend your whole holiday at it. Don't delay in cancelling though, the sooner you do the better chance of getting your money back, even if it takes a while. Write down everything that was wrong with the place now while it's fresh in your mind, and how it varies from his listing, and keep any photos if you took any.

Definitely take it up with the host initially and tell him why you're cancelling. I doubt airbnb will do much unless you've tried that avenue first. 

Have a look at this: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2868/rebooking-and-refund-policy

Did you manage to get any pictures of the accommodation? 

Might take a while to get the money back if at all, but I'd see that as a future issue to resolve. Host > airbnb > credit card charge back etc > travel insurance in that order, in terms of escalating. I think airbnb will be much more likely than the host (who sounds like a total dick) to refund you, but make sure you have as much evidence as possible. 

Edited by Michael W

It will depend on what type of rate you booked, and really just the host. I had to cancel (about 2 weeks notice) a substantial Airbnb booking due to a death in the immediate family of one of the guests which meant none of us would be going, and Airbnb essentially told me to contact the host and they would do nothing. The host then was a total arsehole and wouldn’t refund any of the c£2k. Really put me off using them tbh, would always only book a cancellable rate now at least.

15 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It will depend on what type of rate you booked, and really just the host. I had to cancel (about 2 weeks notice) a substantial Airbnb booking due to a death in the immediate family of one of the guests which meant none of us would be going, and Airbnb essentially told me to contact the host and they would do nothing. The host then was a total arsehole and wouldn’t refund any of the c£2k. Really put me off using them tbh, would always only book a cancellable rate now at least.

I cancelled a few times over Covid kyboshed holidays and it was just a matter of clicking a button on the website, always booked free cancellation places though. Must have used them about 15 times now, never had any bother. Got nowhere cancelling Virgin and BA flights to Cuba when my Dad was dying in hospital though, these people don't have souls.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I cancelled a few times over Covid kyboshed holidays and it was just a matter of clicking a button on the website, always booked free cancellation places though. Must have used them about 15 times now, never had any bother. Got nowhere cancelling Virgin and BA flights to Cuba when my Dad was dying in hospital though, these people don't have souls.

Yes as I’d said in the post, if you book a cancellable rate then it’s obviously no problem. I had hoped that for someone’s immediate family member dying shortly before the trip that either the host or Airbnb would at least refund part of such a large value trip, but neither gave a shit.

Booked to go away in May.  

4 nights in Vienna then on to Jordan for a 10 day tour.  Fly back via Bucharest for a day or so.  Then she flies home while I carry on to Paris to meet my mates for boys weekend of Champions League final.

A mixture of 3 different airlines, 1 tour company, 2 hotels and 2 Air B and B bookings.

Just hope it all works out 

Of all the places, I have only been to Paris and that was 30 years ago.