2022 travel plans

Ylf

15 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Cape Town is fantastic hopefully you can fit in a wine tour aswell tremendous day out.Theres lots of wine tours online to choose from but I highly recommend the "pairing" tour were you have lots of vino and some good food I ended up quite merry and the last stop was Ernie Els the golfers winery and there is a wee pitching area so in my drunken state was trying to smash balls over the of his house( he doesn't live there) 

Ha sounds like fun. 

Managed to get permission from the missus for 2 rounds at Fancourt on the proviso that i go out first thing!

24 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Ha sounds like fun. 

Managed to get permission from the missus for 2 rounds at Fancourt on the proviso that i go out first thing!

Good stuff...will you have a hire car? Reason I'm asking the 12 apostles is a bit awkward to get out n about from...the hop on hop off tourist bus does stop just up the road 

4 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Good stuff...will you have a hire car? Reason I'm asking the 12 apostles is a bit awkward to get out n about from...the hop on hop off tourist bus does stop just up the road 

Aye, hired a car mate. Need it for the Grootbos/Pumba etc. 

FLying home from Port Elizabeth. 

Rome on Friday for 3 nights. Has anyone flown from Edinburgh recently, and what were the queues like? Is it recommended to arrive in more time than you normally would?

She’s booked a couple of restaurants but we don’t have anything sorted for the Saturday, is it necessary to book restaurants or will you be able to get a table no bother? Any restaurant/bar suggestions welcome.

Rome on Friday for 3 nights. Has anyone flown from Edinburgh recently, and what were the queues like? Is it recommended to arrive in more time than you normally would?

She’s booked a couple of restaurants but we don’t have anything sorted for the Saturday, is it necessary to book restaurants or will you be able to get a table no bother? Any restaurant/bar suggestions welcome.
I flew from Edinburgh right at the beginning of the school holidays and security was fine, no excess queueing or anything like that. Give yourself a couple of hours if you're flying at a busy time and you'll be sound.

Post-security was pretty busy but it shouldn't be an issue as long as you aren't planning on going to All Bar One!

1 hour ago, smpar said:

Edinburgh has been fine last couple of weeks

As for restaurants in Rome there are "hunners" an aimless wander up some side streets and you will stumble upon a decent one,usual stuff look for locals .

If you are near the trevi fountain..wee square left hand side street wander up there.No idea of any names as there are Soo many to choose from

Edited by doulikefish

1 hour ago, smpar said:

Unless you're going Michelin stars you won't have a problem finding somewhere to eat, I didn't book anywhere. Can't remember the names either I'm afraid.

Lovely stuff. Cheers. I think we were aiming to have all nights booked for dinner but I’m happy to leave one night to have a wander and pick at random.

Just back from Holland (postponed from 2020). Airport security was fine in Aberdeen and Schiphol, but the queue at immigration after arriving was a cracker, so long that they weren’t even letting people out of the terminal towards passport control.

Anyway, great trip, booked an electric car and got upgraded to a Tesla. The charging infrastructure makes ours look rather pish. No masks virtually anywhere, except in the airport. I didn’t realise that folk were wearing the full haz-mat suit with goggles was actually a real thing. 

On the other hand, we got stuck in The Hague (not the baldy Tory) - on Sunday all trains cancelled were cancelled in the Netherlands due to an IT fault, pretty much from 1pm for the rest of the day. Not what you expect of Dutch public transport.

3 minutes ago, O_Kahn said:

Just back from Holland (postponed from 2020). Airport security was fine in Aberdeen and Schiphol, but the queue at immigration after arriving was a cracker, so long that they weren’t even letting people out of the terminal towards passport control.

Anyway, great trip, booked an electric car and got upgraded to a Tesla. The charging infrastructure makes ours look rather pish. No masks virtually anywhere, except in the airport. I didn’t realise that folk were wearing the full haz-mat suit with goggles was actually a real thing. 

On the other hand, we got stuck in The Hague (not the baldy Tory) - on Sunday all trains cancelled were cancelled in the Netherlands due to an IT fault, pretty much from 1pm for the rest of the day. Not what you expect of Dutch public transport.

Arriving at Schiphol from the UK is a pain in the arse now, when I flew in from Lisbon last year there were no checks whatsoever.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Arriving at Schiphol from the UK is a pain in the arse now, when I flew in from Lisbon last year there were no checks whatsoever.

At Schiphol they eventually opened the e-gates so all the EU bods could speed on through. Hrumph. Amusing enough, arriving back at Aberdeen we had the reverse situation, a short queue of about a dozen in the non EU/UK queue while a much longer UK/EU took about 15 mins to clear.

14 minutes ago, O_Kahn said:

At Schiphol they eventually opened the e-gates so all the EU bods could speed on through. Hrumph. Amusing enough, arriving back at Aberdeen we had the reverse situation, a short queue of about a dozen in the non EU/UK queue while a much longer UK/EU took about 15 mins to clear.

That was probably for flights from non-Schengen eu countries, when I arrived from Portugal I was off the plane and out of the airport without a single check, like getting off a domestic flight here.

It's Germany you're going to - why not find somewhere nearish to Dortmund and then get the train? 

Dusseldorf and Cologne are nearby. Even Frankfurt, which you'll manage a direct flight to from EDI/GLA surely without issue. 

Edited by Michael W

5 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Is there a decent route finder available? Trying to see who does direct flights from Scotland to Dortmund but can only find routes that have about 7 stops and costs about a million quid. I honestly don’t see the point in Skyscanner.

Dortmund has a very small airport.  You might have better luck looking for flights to Dusseldorf or Cologne.  Google Flights is a decent alternative to Skyscanner.

5 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Is there a decent route finder available? Trying to see who does direct flights from Scotland to Dortmund but can only find routes that have about 7 stops and costs about a million quid. I honestly don’t see the point in Skyscanner.

Can't find any direct flights but Edinburgh or Aberdeen via Gdansk with Wizzair could be worth a look.

It’s Bielefeld specifically I’m looking at, but just anywhere in Germany really. It’s a 4 hour train from Berlin which I don’t mind (£31!) but was just looking to see if anywhere was closer.

Ukraine is out of the question for the foreseeable so I’m just looking for general routes for a holiday later in the year. Any recommendations? (Apart from Serbia - a quick look at my passport history and they’d either jail or deport me before I got land side.)