Misunderstood\ Misinterprited Songs

GNU_Linux

'Born in the USA' by Bruce Springsteen is a prime example. Based on the title & chorus in isolation some have taken it to be a patriotic song when in reality the song is about the plight of Vietnam veterans economically juxtaposed ironically with the patriotic dick swinging of the chorus. Reagan's campaign organisers even tried to tap it for his 1984 presidential campaign.

'Every Breath You Take' by The Police has been thought of as a positive love song & has become a feature at weddings but in reality it's about a person obsessed with an ex-lover & borders on stalker territory.

Straight people everywhere lapped up & danced to The Village People's 'YMCA' upon it's release thinking it was a song about the wholesome values & virtues of the YMCA organisation. The song is actually an ode to the YMCA's reputation of being a popular cruising & hookup spot.

Filter's 'Hey Man Nice Shot' was initially thought to be about the suicide of Kurt Cobain that occured the year prior to it's release. It's actually about Pennsylvania state treasurer R Budd Dwyer who shot himself live on tv in 1987 after being convicted of bribery.

11 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

I don't like Mondays is about a school shooting, when the shooter was asked why she did it she said "I don't like Monday's". Not as obvious as Pumped Up Kicks (Columbine) because it's a bit more up beat. The version used in the West Wing is excellent and I Think much better than the original .

Agreed on all counts - but I can't recall it being used out of place. Though I have heard it played by DJs, which is a wee bit weird.

23 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

I don't like Mondays is about a school shooting, when the shooter was asked why she did it she said "I don't like Monday's". Not as obvious as Pumped Up Kicks (Columbine) because it's a bit more up beat. The version used in the West Wing is excellent and I Think much better than the original .

What has ever been misinterpreted about I Don't Like Mondays?

On 24/01/2021 at 19:44, GNU_Linux said:

'Every Breath You Take' by The Police has been thought of as a positive love song & has become a feature at weddings but in reality it's about a person obsessed with an ex-lover & borders on stalker territory.

Similarly "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt which he openly admits is a creepy song about someone who sees his ex-girlfriend with someone else.

• 4 weeks later...

Threw together a 60s playlist at the weekend for listening to in the car. Decided to include “Keep on Running” by The Spencer Davis Group, a stalwart of my, and many others’, exercise playlists. 
As I sang along on the school run this morning I realised it’s serious stalker material.

Spoiler

Keep on running, keep on hiding
One fine day, I'm gonna be the one
To make you understand
Oh, yeah, I'm gonna be your man

Keep on running, running from my arms
One fine day, I'm gonna be the one
To make you understand
Oh yeah, I'm gonna be your man

Everyone is laughing at me
It makes me feel so sad
So keep on running