Worst football catering?

Prompted by the thread on refreshment kiosks...

What’s the worst catering you’ve had at a Scottish football match?  For me this pie at Berwick... deep fried rather than oven-baked. Didn’t make that mistake again.  Opted for the freshly cooked  fish and chips at later games, which wasn’t too bad actually. 

image.jpeg

The Ainslie Park pies come from Bains the Butcher at Stenhouse. 

30 years ago I had a pie at Bo'ness United that ended up in a Niagra Falls of grease going all down my coat so that was probably the worst.

Best in recent years was a steak and gravy pie at Forfar Albion. 

Haven’t had the chance to sample League Two catering this season, but I do like Bain’s pies - as at Edinburgh City. They’re mince pies rather than scotch pies though.

Best pies in recent seasons have always been at East Fife.

Sadly, Stranraer’s catering is one of the poorer offerings.

27 minutes ago, Clayhole Blue said:

Haven’t had the chance to sample League Two catering this season, but I do like Bain’s pies - as at Edinburgh City. They’re mince pies rather than scotch pies though.

Best pies in recent seasons have always been at East Fife.

Sadly, Stranraer’s catering is one of the poorer offerings.

Agree with all.

The soup at Brechin and Stenny are both good.

Looking back a long time the pies at Gretna were almost as bad as those at Berwick.  Maybe there’s a theme here.  And given your comments on Stranraer’s catering should we be getting worried 😉

Agree with all.
The soup at Brechin and Stenny are both good.
Looking back a long time the pies at Gretna were almost as bad as those at Berwick.  Maybe there’s a theme here.  And given your comments on Stranraer’s catering should we be getting worried [emoji6]

Gretna’s food was verging on criminal.

Interesting- the pies at successor club Gretna 2008 were pretty decent.

You can pay £2.50 for a meh pie at one of our Premier grounds or get a fine pie at a non-league ground for a quid. This is why I sometimes miss the East of Scotland days.

51 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

The worst were the pies served in tin foil trays, making the base soggy and causing the arse to fall out of it. Maybe they are a thing of the past. I think Queen's Park used to charge over £2.50 for these monstrosities.

I can remember being all excited as a kid at Hampden getting chips.  God knows how much they cost but it's fair to say that my Dad didn't get his money's worth. 

16 minutes ago, an86 said:

The food at Hampden is both extortionate and rancid. Curry pie at Ainslie Park is magnificent. 

I would second all of that statement.  

We were at Ainslee Park a couple of seasons ago and the shop assistant came round the fans late in the second half with a batch of unsold pies .  Not only good pies but an excellent gesture from our hosts ......................Probably felt sorry for us having to watch our side slump to another defeat. 

19 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Never been too impressed with our food, and seeing the pies go in a microwave at Starks put me off buying one.

Alloa was good though as you can get a pie roll.

Easter Road was good though.

Easter road is a rip-off although the quality is decent.  Suspect most premier grounds will be similar.

it is amazing how many grounds can f**k up a simple scotch pie though.

7 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Catering at Hampden  has always been poor.

Remember attending a midweek Scotland game there followed by a Stranraer one on the Saturday.  The Saturday pie was so hard and dry that I was convinced it was a reheat from the Scotland match.

7 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

Yes it is overpriced and poor quality.

Hopefully at Lesser we can finally be shot of Sodexo and get a local bakery or restaurant to do it.

Yip. Unfortunately, we have / had to accept the Hampden arrangements. Hopefully we get it right at Lesser. There's money to be made in pies but it's really important to get the quality and price right. I'll buy two pies if they're good.

Good ones in our division: Brechin, Edinburgh City, Stenny, Stirling, ...ach probably them all if you've had a drink. Hampden's are ridiculously overpriced.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

Ours have been a bit of a lottery over the years but I think it's fine these days. The cheeseburgers at Falkirk stick in my mind as being awful. Queens Park was always impressive at how expensive it was. Kilmarnock is  good. East End with the Stephens the Bakers stuff is unfortunately very good. Stenny was good back in the day. Pies on rolls at Alloa deserves a nod.

The caravan at the away end at Ayr was awful. Don't know if it is still there but everything  looked  inedible.   ..................Half frozen chips are not the most palateable  ,  even  after half a dozen pints .   The chips actually looked the safest bet .  How wrong can you be ?