St Johnstone v Livingston, League Cup Final 2020-21

PauloPerth

• 4 weeks later...

Wotherspoon picking up a knock today has given me the fear.

Not sure how you go for this, but Melamed is a genuine match winner so you feel like he has to start. Same 11 as today would do me.

Such a big fixture for Scottish football.

Celtic have won the previous 12 major trophies going into this, and we're quite likely on the cusp of several years of tedium with rangers resurgent, and Celtic likely to come back stronger next season.  I hope I'm wrong.

With this in mind, this single fixture could represent the one island of decency amidst a sewage flow of old firm dominance in the Scottish football history books.

Shitting myself for this one.

I’m perhaps overstating it but I feel we’ve really lost solidity since Brown was recalled. That said, Robinson missing the last two games has arguably been a bigger loss as he was in a real purple patch.

St J were hounding us at the Mac. I wasn’t too concerned about being opened up during open play but the set piece concern remains. Guthrie and Ambrose as the CB pairing, please.

I think it's an interesting week for the managers.

If Dave Martindale knows his team then the past few results don't matter and everything has arguably been geared towards Sunday. I doubt anyone has forced their way in given the last three results.

If he's less sure and was hoping players stepped up then he has more of a dilemma and certainly has a bigger squad, and therefore more ponderables, than his opposite number. 

Callum Davidson's decision is whether it is one of two options. He's probably gone from having nine definite starters to just eight with the way Booth has stepped in for Tanser but after that it'll come down to what formation he wants to play, although I'm not saying that won't be influenced simply by who he wants to pick. 

The first decision is Conway or Melamed, ergo 3-5-2 or 5-2-3. The other choice probably comes off the back of that. I'm not sure Liam Craig will play in a midfield two, for example. Whether Murray Davidson is fit is then the added component. In the two he gives you the presence but Bryson uses the ball better. If it is the three, then Liam Craig could do no more with his weekend performance. 

I think it was much more predictable in 2014 and no manager wants to get it wrong on final day. A worry for me is that CD hasn't really influenced games from the bench this season if required, so really hope he makes the right starting calls.

No regrets come full-time please. 

On 20/02/2021 at 18:11, LiviLion said:

Weirdly feel more comfortable that we're no longer favourites for this. We've been pretty bad the past couple games so hopefully we can get up for the occasion.

Robinson being fit will have the biggest impact on my optimism.

Every site I’ve looked at still has Livingston as favourites.

After the fun and games of the Premiership fixtures, it's now time. Time for #ourLions to roar to victory.

I am nailing my colours to the mast - I am backing David Martindale and his rag-tag bunch of lovable scrappers to complete their fairytale story and lift the cup this weekend. Not even Aaron Sorkin could write this one, baby!

I'm predicting a tight, tense affair - possibly 1-1 with Livi winning 4-3 on penalties.

Has to play 5-3-2 IMO.

Arguably the team who played v Well is our strongest in that set up. I think you need Craig v Livi as I think they're prone to dropping players into the space to open your defence up for runners, he prevents that.

Melamed struggled down there but he's a genuine match winner, you just give him as long as you can incase he pops up with something IMO.

No idea how this will go. Always such a battle it could go either way. Feel like it's fated for one of May or MOH to win us the game, and I'm not sure why.

We'll lose 4-0.