Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PauloPerth

St Johnstone v Livingston, League Cup Final 2020-21

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, Durnford said:

BT wouldn't have got anywhere near that figure; sky might have as it would have been available to the UK and possibly a wider European audience. I know I was abler ot watch Scottish games when at my sisters place in France but rarely did as it invariably involve one or both of the sisters.

I believe our win in 2004 was on channel 4 so had a reasonable take-up even though most viewers probably weren't based in Scotland.

It is however a sad fact of life than any match including a member of the old firm still generates significant interest in the republic and across the atlantic (not that I'd imagine that would do Betfred any good at all).


So Betfred wouldn't, in fact, have been basing their sponsorship on 3m viewers after all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shout-out to Callum Booth btw. An unfashionable player at an unfashionable club, but rarely lets us down. Good performance yesterday.


His last three performances have been tip top. Delighted he got the start. Tanser obviously keen to move on so no issue with him missing out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:
25 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:
Shout-out to Callum Booth btw. An unfashionable player at an unfashionable club, but rarely lets us down. Good performance yesterday.

 

His last three performances have been tip top. Delighted he got the start. Tanser obviously keen to move on so no issue with him missing out

Aye, goodbye Scott don't shut the door on the way out, there'll be another with your capabilities on the way in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Aye, goodbye Scott don't shut the door on the way out, there'll be another with your capabilities on the way in.

I like Tanser I really do and think he's a good player at this level. However I found the celebrations at the end quite telling, of the players on the bench those who barely cracked a smile were Tanser and Melamed. Now maybe that's disappointment at missing out on playing in the final, but even then I suspect it's cause they're both moving on. Even Craig Bryson was fucking ecstatic and I doubt he'll be here any longer than another few months.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Third Lanark's second win? What's he waffling on about? Third Lanark never won the League Cup.
Anyhow, St Johnstone join the 2 Cup Club - Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Motherwell, Dundee, Dundee United, Kilmarnock, Partick Thistle, East Fife and St Mirren have all won both the League Cup and Scottish Cup. More or less who you would expect (apart from East Fife, maybe - they're probably unique having won both as a second division club?). Have I missed anybody out?

Celtic and Rangers RIPFC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, craigkillie said:


So Betfred wouldn't, in fact, have been basing their sponsorship on 3m viewers after all?

I assume by your post that BT were the previous providers of TV coverage for the Scottish League cup.

I chose 3 million as a figure out of the air; I have no idea what the real figure would have been. If it had been still on the old provider I suspect many English viewers wont have tuned in for two such "unfashionable" sides (to use the DR terminology).

EDIT - just did a search on the Celtic v Rangers cup final game (2019) and the viewing figures through BT were apparently 915,000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Derek Patterson said:

Certainly has more class than the CEO.

EvWQ2SJWQA4mby_.jpeg

EvWQ2b_XEAAi7PE.jpeg

He has previous for this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Widge said:

I like Tanser I really do and think he's a good player at this level. However I found the celebrations at the end quite telling, of the players on the bench those who barely cracked a smile were Tanser and Melamed. Now maybe that's disappointment at missing out on playing in the final, but even then I suspect it's cause they're both moving on. Even Craig Bryson was fucking ecstatic and I doubt he'll be here any longer than another few months.  

The thing with Guy, I felt quite sorry for the bloke. If there's a guy at your workplace who's new to the country and can't speak the language that great you'd be going out your way to include him in things and trying to bring him into all the celebrations etc.

Not quite sure that many Saints players did tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

The thing with Guy, I felt quite sorry for the bloke. If there's a guy at your workplace who's new to the country and can't speak the language that great you'd be going out your way to include him in things and trying to bring him into all the celebrations etc.

Not quite sure that many Saints players did tbh.

That's a real shame if true Tam. 

He does seem to have quite dry sense of humour and comes across as maybe a wee bit dour, not sure if that's natural or if the move has made him a bit miserable, but he's shown he can cut it in Scotland. Maybe it's just not the right country for him, but I'd hope that he'd think it was the right club. 

I would honestly love for us to keep him if there was a way to make it work for both sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the same at first, but then he was surrounded by a few supportive lads and then he also looked delighted when the cup was held aloft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

The thing with Guy, I felt quite sorry for the bloke. If there's a guy at your workplace who's new to the country and can't speak the language that great you'd be going out your way to include him in things and trying to bring him into all the celebrations etc.

Not quite sure that many Saints players did tbh.

I dunno, I did see a few of the guys pulling him over and having him take pictures with the trophy, so I'm not sure that it's a case he was being left out. I looked at the way he celebrated against Motherwell as interesting, he's not the type to go mad and has a little of the Balotelli about him in that he's scored a goal, but that's his job. The rest of the team all went to him and patted him on the back and gave him a hug, so I think he is a popular guy at the club.

2 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

That's a real shame if true Tam. 

He does seem to have quite dry sense of humour and comes across as maybe a wee bit dour, not sure if that's natural or if the move has made him a bit miserable, but he's shown he can cut it in Scotland. Maybe it's just not the right country for him, but I'd hope that he'd think it was the right club. 

I would honestly love for us to keep him if there was a way to make it work for both sides.

I'd 100% keep him, purely because he scored goals and offers something different to the team. Do I think he'll stay, I'm not convinced. I suspect he's missing him family and maybe feels that Davidson is still not 100% trusting him. I think he'll play in almost all the games from now until the end of the season, I also think he'll score goals. But there's a part of me that hopes if the world opens up again and he's able to get his family, etc. across to visit him, he might get a little happier. It's a really tough situation for him and the club and I'm sure that no matter what the club will do the right thing by him, especially if he wants to go, it would be with our blessing and thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mizfit said:

Just me who loved fucking up the Davie Martindale redemption story?

Aye.

All the chat about him being the "brains of the operation" during Livingstons "fairytale" journey up the leagues. Chat about him being one of the best managers in the league due to the winless run.

Then he plays Marvin Bartley as a left winger for 60 minutes in a Cup Final 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:


Celtic and Rangers RIPFC.

See the source image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mizfit said:

Just me who loved fucking up the Davie Martindale redemption story?

Not just you man. Martindale is a minky wee dick. Reformed character, my arse.

I’d be embarrassed if we ended up with a character like him as our manager. I feel sorry for Livi fans in that respect.

Anyway, get it right up him. I suspect this is only the beginning of him being found out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Derek Patterson said:

Certainly has more class than the CEO.

EvWQ2SJWQA4mby_.jpeg

EvWQ2b_XEAAi7PE.jpeg

*Connor McGregor voice*

’’Who the f*ck Is that guy?’’

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s definitely a media love in and it was certainly nice to stuff it down their throats, but I don’t think Martindale came across that bad.

He came across as quite sporting towards Saints after the game. He definitely made a poor decision with Bartley, but it’s not quite the game changer that the media were making out.  The goal was nothing to do with where Bartley was playing.

It annoyed me afterwards how all the pundits hung on the Bartley decision as if they’d played Lionel Messi in goals and barely mentioned anything about Saints. 


Out of our 12 players used, all are Scottish (I think) and 6 came through our youth system (I’m counting Liam Gordon!). A seventh is a local lad and was a Saints supporter growing up.  I may well have missed it, but I never heard it mentioned whereas if it was Utd, Motherwell or Celtic they’d have been raving about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Widge said:

I'd 100% keep him, purely because he scored goals and offers something different to the team. Do I think he'll stay, I'm not convinced. I suspect he's missing him family and maybe feels that Davidson is still not 100% trusting him. I think he'll play in almost all the games from now until the end of the season, I also think he'll score goals. But there's a part of me that hopes if the world opens up again and he's able to get his family, etc. across to visit him, he might get a little happier. It's a really tough situation for him and the club and I'm sure that no matter what the club will do the right thing by him, especially if he wants to go, it would be with our blessing and thanks.

It must be pretty gutting not to get a single minute of the semi-final or final after being such a big part of the team's recent upturn in league form. (That's not a dig at Davidson, as clearly his decisions paid off big time.)

I'd like to see Melamed stick around – I enjoy watching him and he offers something different from our other forwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Superb coverage of yesterday from the BBC Scottish News there :eusa_think:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...