St Johnstone v Livingston, League Cup Final 2020-21

PauloPerth

6 hours ago, HibsFan said:

Shame he spent the second of these "major Finals" diving about the place, the sort of thing that would usually treat us to several of your tear-stained match thread updates.

However in retrospect his decision to leave Hibs in persuit of trophies has proven to be the right one.

A bit of an anomaly as finals go, probably down to the behind closed doors nature of the cup.
Can't see County winning at even a half-full Parkhead, or Rangers folding like they did at Paisley after equalising late on.
Well done to St Johnstone though. To think they said the tories weren't profiting off the pandemic. 175052904_JackScoff.png.11436448d5846d0dec068bcd7d5d186e.png
Making excuses for the failure of the Arse Cheeks?
f**k Off!!

TBH I kind of feel sorry for the St. Johnstone players. To grind out a (deserved) win in such strange circumstances and then celebrate in an empty stadium is truly surreal - they certainly deserved better.

Once the lockdown is lifted maybe they can organise the full open-top bus thing.

One point on the sponsorship thing; whatever the rights or wrongs about having a betting company sponsoring a sporting event, they doubtless would have been basing their sponsorship on a final in front of a packed stadium with maybe 3 million viewers on national television. 

Okay; there's nothing that can be done about the lockdown; but for the SPFL to sign a deal with Premier Sports which effectively limited the audience to maybe no more 10k live viewers doesn't look like value for money if I was a Betfred executive.

One point on the sponsorship thing; whatever the rights or wrongs about having a betting company sponsoring a sporting event, they doubtless would have been basing their sponsorship on a final in front of a packed stadium with maybe 3 million viewers on national television. 
Okay; there's nothing that can be done about the lockdown; but for the SPFL to sign a deal with Premier Sports which effectively limited the audience to maybe no more 10k live viewers doesn't look like value for money if I was a Betfred executive.
They also cant control who gets to the final and will be fully aware of that commercial risk, spreading it over the 5 year deal.

3m online viewers is fanciful, I think Rangers and Celtic get 300-500k viewers, indeed the last OF game during a crucial 10 in a row narrative was only 496k.

Scotland Serbia game had 3 times that amount I believed.

The competition has been on subscription TV since 2016, the same time that Betfred took over the sponsorship of the competition. This was originally a three year deal, but they extended it last year which suggests they were content sponsoring a competition that wasn't on FTA television.

The idea that BT Sport would have had 3 million people watching it is wild, I can't imagine they even get that for big Premier League games.

1 hour ago, Derek Patterson said:

Certainly has more class than the CEO.

EvWQ2b_XEAAi7PE.jpeg

Third Lanark's second win? What's he waffling on about? Third Lanark never won the League Cup.

Anyhow, St Johnstone join the 2 Cup Club - Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Motherwell, Dundee, Dundee United, Kilmarnock, Partick Thistle, East Fife and St Mirren have all won both the League Cup and Scottish Cup. More or less who you would expect (apart from East Fife, maybe - they're probably unique having won both as a second division club?). Have I missed anybody out?

Edited by Jacksgranda

49 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The idea that BT Sport would have had 3 million people watching it is wild, I can't imagine they even get that for big Premier League games.

BT wouldn't have got anywhere near that figure; sky might have as it would have been available to the UK and possibly a wider European audience. I know I was abler ot watch Scottish games when at my sisters place in France but rarely did as it invariably involve one or both of the sisters.

I believe our win in 2004 was on channel 4 so had a reasonable take-up even though most viewers probably weren't based in Scotland.

It is however a sad fact of life than any match including a member of the old firm still generates significant interest in the republic and across the atlantic (not that I'd imagine that would do Betfred any good at all).

4 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Just me who loved fucking up the Davie Martindale redemption story?

If Livi had been playing any other team then I'd have said fair play to him. He did some stupid and bad things in his past but he turned things around and achieved something great.

Didn't happen though and it was Saints anyway so no worries about a load of pious nonsense from the papers.