Raith v Hearts

We froze like a rabbit before a weazle. Not a shot to Hearts couple of dozen. I'm not accepting the excuses, we had no belief and no effort. This is the second time this season and reveals an underlying attitude problem.

Edited by Raith_Raver

Expected at least one of these games to be unpleasant, but that was just awful. 

Trying to remember that a number of these guys had covid and that there has been an obvious lack of training etc, but some of the play on show tonight was just amateur. Hearts were never going to give us space to play our passing game, so I'm really unsure what the plan was tonight.  We all knew that Hearts would be out for revenge and that they would press right from the off. Misplaced passes from short goal kicks is just asking for trouble. 

Our season won't be defined by games against Hearts, but failing to register a single shot is really quite terrible. 

Really dissapointed in Hendry and Duku. We should have played that game out with 9 men, and given thr circumstances and the extra pressure that puts on their teammates that isn't good enough. 

Edited by CALDERON

When teams press us we have no answer. We're not good enough to play our way out of trouble. 

3 points is a great return from the double header but we'll need to improve considerably for next week's matches. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

1 minute ago, paranoid android said:

Good on him, but I'm fed up with him going missing, and he left us a man short in the recent cup final.

He was pish, as were most of the team in the first half in the final.  How's him being shite different from halliday for example?  He was also played in a midfield 3 in the final which was lunacy.  

I'd say that was probably our best all-round performance of the season.  Created a stack of chances, took a few, tempo was great mostly and we never conceded or looked like giving away any of the criminal goals we have lately.

Popescu, even with the errors, has to play over Berra and I think we play better football with Walker in there over Naismith

Can’t actually believe I’ve read a Rovers criticising the effort and attitude of this side. We were playing our second game in a month. Had literally half the squad out with COVID this time last week and have have trained twice if we’re lucky in the last 2/3 weeks.

Our players were quite clearly fucked after an outstanding effort at the weekend. Hearts played well with great effort and intensity too. Being honest, we could have played at our absolute best and we still wouldn’t have beaten Hearts tonight.

Plenty to work on and some poor stuff, particularly in possession, from us but to criticise the effort is incredible stupidity.

1 minute ago, Tony Wonder said:

He was pish, as were most of the team in the first half in the final.  How's him being shite different from halliday for example?  He was also played in a midfield 3 in the final which was lunacy.  

If he plays, he should play in the final third - he shouldn't have started in the final - most of the players didn't start well in the final, but they didn't all disappear in the way he did.

Halliday needs to do more, but the guy didnae ask about him.

2 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

We froze like a rabbit before a weazle. Not a shot to Hearts couple of dozen. I'm not accepting the excuses, we had no belief and no effort. This is the second time this season and reveals an underlying attitude problem.

From our perspective I think we would have been looking at a low energy performance no matter the opposition. No game for 4 weeks, 1 training session to figure out who was fit enough to start then 99 minutes on Saturday. No way they weren't flagging from the get go tonight.

Tiredness robs you of mental sharpness as well. The fact we couldn't do have the basics tonight might be impacted by that.

However, Hearts started at the tempo their fans will have been begging to see. Smothering us in the press, then tidying up when we tried to go long, recycle and attack again. They will win the league with a lot of room to spare if they just do that 2 weeks in 3.

Whatever narrow route back into the game we had evaporated with the red card.

I don't think there is much that could have been done to avoid this particular hangover. It's brilliant that we caught a low tempo Hearts team out on Saturday with that burst of freshness you might see after a long lay off, but it caught up with them.

Disappointed with Hendry but provided we can get Matthews back we can try and slot Vaughan in with a bit of a different game plan. Hoping Ugwu gets back fit: Duku just isn't a hold up type player - vast difference in playing style and Ugwu provided an outlet that Duku just won't.

We didn't suddenly turn into title chasers at 5pm Saturday and we didn't suddenly turn into shite tonight. 

2 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

If he plays, he should play in the final third - he shouldn't have started in the final - most of the players didn't start well in the final, but they didn't all disappear in the way he did.

Halliday needs to do more, but the guy didnae ask about him.

Fair.

I think he doesn't have the legs he did but he's probably one of our more intelligent players, I agree he plays as a 10 or probably doesn't play. As someone else said though, I think we play better football when he's in that area, he gets in wee areas others don't. I also don't think he's lazy, he works hard off the ball imo and he pressed well tonight but his style makes him look like he doesn't care.

He's got to keep up the effort though as he's got loads of competition if he comes off it.

Irving was superb and Popescu kept it simple and looked much improved.

I really enjoyed that, but the problem with this Hearts team is inconsistency.  I hope we go on a run now but I'm not betting on it. 

5 minutes ago, renton said:

From our perspective I think we would have been looking at a low energy performance no matter the opposition. No game for 4 weeks, 1 training session to figure out who was fit enough to start then 99 minutes on Saturday. No way they weren't flagging from the get go tonight.

Tiredness robs you of mental sharpness as well. The fact we couldn't do have the basics tonight might be impacted by that.

However, Hearts started at the tempo their fans will have been begging to see. Smothering us in the press, then tidying up when we tried to go long, recycle and attack again. They will win the league with a lot of room to spare if they just do that 2 weeks in 3.

Whatever narrow route back into the game we had evaporated with the red card.

I don't think there is much that could have been done to avoid this particular hangover. It's brilliant that we caught a low tempo Hearts team out on Saturday with that burst of freshness you might see after a long lay off, but it caught up with them.

Disappointed with Hendry but provided we can get Matthews back we can try and slot Vaughan in with a bit of a different game plan. Hoping Ugwu gets back fit: Duku just isn't a hold up type player - vast difference in playing style and Ugwu provided an outlet that Duku just won't.

We didn't suddenly turn into title chasers at 5pm Saturday and we didn't suddenly turn into shite tonight. 

You're more ot less saying we went out to hand Hearts the game, or at least accept or expect the inevitable. I think you're right.

Edited by Raith_Raver

1 minute ago, Tony Wonder said:

Fair.

I think he doesn't have the legs he did but he's probably one of our more intelligent players, I agree he plays as a 10 or probably doesn't play. As someone else said though, I think we play better football when he's in that area, he gets in wee areas others don't. I also don't think he's lazy, he works hard off the ball imo and he pressed well tonight but his style makes him look like he doesn't care.

He's got to keep up the effort though as he's got loads of competition if he comes off it.

I often forget his knees were damaged early in his career, but I reckon he should realise that, at this stage of his career, he really needs to apply himself or he'll slip down the leagues.

If he can bin the takeaways, and shave off his silly 'tache, he could do more - I do think he has underachieved a bit, and I wasn't surprised it didn't work out for him down South.

Possibly even more frustrating when you see him playing well, because we'd like to see him doing that much more.