Resident Evil 8 - Village

SANTAN

7 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Aye but as I recall they at least used duct tape last time...

I've just put the game down for the night. Managed a nice 1 hour long session before it got too much. I'm probably not far off where you are because I keep getting chased relentlessly right now. I sprinted through the whole castle just to get to the save point. 

My inventory is looking quite good right now without any spoilers do you think it's essential to upgrade the inventory capacity because I'm not sure I need it right now?

There is a sniper rifle you can get for doing a puzzle after you do the second daughter fight. Don't need it to fit that in but it starts to fill up. 

Edited by renton

6 hours ago, renton said:

Got it yesterday. Through to the castle and have killed off two of the three daughters so far, and have a sniper rifle. 

The baddie stalking you mechanic is really the hallmark of Resident Evil isn't it. Forget the rest, whether it's Mr. X, Nemesis, Jack Baker or Madame Dimestricu... I don't really feel like I'm getting the full experience until  I'm running from the unstoppable (pre boss fight) baddie.

That and the corny as hell theatrics of it. Love it. Even loving Ethan's understated, resigned, flat tone. His constant "what the hell?" In the face of escalating madness around him is fantastically kitsch.

The big departure from other REs is the lack of an inventory box, I read that dropped items persist so maybe you can pick crap back up if you leave it somewhere buy haven't tried that. Otherwise buy the inventory upgrade as soon as you have the Lei to do it. 

Resi zero didnt have inventory boxes, when you dropped something it stayed there and marked on your map for you

I'm definitely going to buy this but gonna hold off til I can get it below 30 I reckon as I don't want to spend too much on something I might still shite out of. I've downloaded 7 and haven't started, played 40 minutes of 2 and will never touch Alien Isolation again.

17 hours ago, Stormzy said:

I'm not that far yet, just killed the first one, I think. I honestly can't play it too long at once as I just turn into a bag of nerves. 

Looking forward to seeing how you cope with a certain sequence… 👀  Nightmare fuel.

23 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I'm definitely going to buy this but gonna hold off til I can get it below 30 I reckon as I don't want to spend too much on something I might still shite out of. I've downloaded 7 and haven't started, played 40 minutes of 2 and will never touch Alien Isolation again.

Only 40mins of 2, get it played lol

55 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Lol, tbh like most of the earlier resi games and remakes, after the first hour its not the worst as you are tooled up to f**k unless you waste ammo early doors

It's the invincible stalker aspect that I'm both interested and terrified by. At least Village, AFAIK, is relatively restrained about it. 

9 hours ago, NotThePars said:

It's the invincible stalker aspect that I'm both interested and terrified by. At least Village, AFAIK, is relatively restrained about it. 

In claires game in resi 2 he's barely there, plus the mr x aspect of resi 2 was utterly fantastic, once you get past the original few scares you can play him and focus on hearing him, theres only iirc 3 bits where he'll automatically zero in on you no matter what you do, the rest is about keeping away from him and keeping the noise down lol

Edited by 54_and_counting

Finished this last night. No spoilers till you guys are done too but my advice is yes increase your inventory capacity when you can, upgrade your weapons as much as you can, sell what you can and make sure you don’t sell items you can combine for more money till you’ve found all parts, always look around the walls for gems as they can quickly boost your lei. 

I never ever played the franchise before Res Evil 7 but I get that people don’t like the changes made for 7 and 8 but I have absolutely loved them both and wouldn’t have them any other way. 

Now hurry up and get finished 

2 hours ago, diamond_for_life said:

Finished this last night. No spoilers till you guys are done too but my advice is yes increase your inventory capacity when you can, upgrade your weapons as much as you can, sell what you can and make sure you don’t sell items you can combine for more money till you’ve found all parts, always look around the walls for gems as they can quickly boost your lei. 

I never ever played the franchise before Res Evil 7 but I get that people don’t like the changes made for 7 and 8 but I have absolutely loved them both and wouldn’t have them any other way. 

Now hurry up and get finished 

What items can you combine? I think I've probably missed the boat on that. 

2 hours ago, Stormzy said:

What items can you combine? I think I've probably missed the boat on that. 

There’s a couple mate if you go into your sellable items they usually say valuable or very valuable but some say combinable too. 

The first one I remember combining was the animal statue you find two separate parts of it. The first one you can combine is the ring and the azure eye but I was too late and sold that one separately 

Edited by diamond_for_life

10 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

There’s a couple mate if you go into your sellable items they usually say valuable or very valuable but some say combinable too. 

The first one I remember combining was the animal statue you find two separate parts of it. The first one you can combine is the ring and the azure eye but I was too late and sold that one separately 

Aye I thought I noticed one saying combine but didn't think about it much and I've also sold all my stuff separately now. 

Gonna sink another couple of hours in  tonight! 

Now past the third boss. The whole section in the Benevito house is, as previously indicated, nightmare fuel. What was a camp gothic romp becomes something like a mix between Silent Hill and Alien Isolation. Granted its not a long sequence but by far the most atmospheric in the game.

Annoyingly died a few times at the giant fish bit, just not clicking with the timing. Haven't been in much trouble from the actual fodder enemies once but buggered by the fish. Grim.

Edited by renton

18 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Well, I'll let you be the judge of that once you've done the Benevito House section.

On 18/05/2021 at 12:32, sonsism said:

Looking forward to seeing how you cope with a certain sequence… 👀  Nightmare fuel.

I dunno if I'm at the bit you're on about but I'm in the benevito house right now, was thinking it was pretty calm, just a little bit creepy then i completed the first door puzzle, just encountered something that made me drop the controller turn off the telly and go outside to touch the grass. Fifa for the rest of the night for me! 

On 19/05/2021 at 18:10, renton said:

Well, I'll let you be the judge of that once you've done the Benevito House section.

I've just seen this now, trying to avoid the thread for spoilers but if the invincible stalker is the one that was just chasing me about the gaff then I don't know if I'll ever make it out. 

9 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I've just seen this now, trying to avoid the thread for spoilers but if the invincible stalker is the one that was just chasing me about the gaff then I don't know if I'll ever make it out. 

You don't want to.

Edited by renton

On 21/05/2021 at 19:31, Stormzy said:

I dunno if I'm at the bit you're on about but I'm in the benevito house right now, was thinking it was pretty calm, just a little bit creepy then i completed the first door puzzle, just encountered something that made me drop the controller turn off the telly and go outside to touch the grass. Fifa for the rest of the night for me! 

It was indeed House Benevito 😁😂