Resident Evil 8 - Village

SANTAN

The one thing that's putting me off is that reviews seem to say it's a ten hour campaign.  It's mad its gotten to this point, as I'd always rather have a tightly plotted shorter game that makes sense over a bloated "go here fetch this" type open world game.  

Reviews generally seem positive though.  I've just bought Returnal which I suspect will keep me busy for a while, maybe pick it up in a month or so. Unfortunately it falls into the bracket of games "maybe not the best idea to play when the 4 year old is around"

I've bought this (£55 [emoji23]) looking to get stuck in to it tonight. 
How long was number 7? 

I’m sure 7 was about 25-30 hours whereas Heather Alexandra said she clocked in just shy of 10 hours on Village with a slow paced run.

Tempted to get stuck into this when it drops in price thanks to the Waypoint pod discussion as it doesn’t sound as scary as 2 or 7 and is mercifully short.

Just finished my first run at roughly 13 hours and I skipped quite a few of the optional treasure spots and hidden areas.  

There’s also a lot of unlockable content after completing the game so I’m definitely going to get my money’s worth.

If you’re not too keen on replaying the campaign and doing speed runs, knife-only runs etc, playing mercenaries and going for 100% maybe wait for a price drop but there’s a lot more content than 7 (excluding all the DLC which was excellent - a bit gutted they don’t seem to have any planned for Village).

There are some absolutely batshit crazy moments in this game and I loved every one of them. 

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I’m sure 7 was about 25-30 hours whereas Heather Alexandra said she clocked in just shy of 10 hours on Village with a slow paced run.

Tempted to get stuck into this when it drops in price thanks to the Waypoint pod discussion as it doesn’t sound as scary as 2 or 7 and is mercifully short.

Okay, I really enjoyed 7 and was kinda hoping it would be near the same length, especially considering the price. 

I literally screamed when trying the demo so I'll wait to make my mind up on which ones is scarier. I know it won't be the popular opinion but I much prefer the immserive horror theme rather than the run and gun zombie shooter style I got from the older ones. 

Okay, I really enjoyed 7 and was kinda hoping it would be near the same length, especially considering the price. 
I literally screamed when trying the demo so I'll wait to make my mind up on which ones is scarier. I know it won't be the popular opinion but I much prefer the immserive horror theme rather than the run and gun zombie shooter style I got from the older ones. 

I can’t play any of these games for longer than half an hour so can’t make a judgment call. Village does seem cool tho and I’ve read it’s not too scary or overly long so I might give it a go and hope it makes it easier to jump into the others.

Just now, NotThePars said:

I can’t play any of these games for longer than half an hour so can’t make a judgment call. Village does seem cool tho and I’ve read it’s not too scary or overly long so I might give it a go and hope it makes it easier to jump into the others.

Aye I'm the same tbh, I usually play them with a mate over, it's a team effort required type of game. 

I don't really follow the main story but I think 8 might wrap up 7 so maybe worth giving that a playthrough if you're bothered. I think it's free for PS5. 

I mind playing the game and having no glitches or bugs and then I sat down to watch Limmy play it and on the first boss fight the boss got stuck in some imaginary barrier and completely ruined the experience, think he stopped playing shortly after that 😂

Just tried the first half hour. It was thoroughly gripping but I've shat it after killing one baddy. I'm going to need to play some Miles Morales to make me feel at ease with the world before i subject myself to anymore. 

9 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Just started it and playing with the ps5 headset on, the sound effects are brilliant but absolutely shiting it. 

I think I'm 1 hour in. Just found the first save point. I've had to play it in small doses. I'm finding it superb in so many ways so far though. 

Got it yesterday. Through to the castle and have killed off two of the three daughters so far, and have a sniper rifle. 

The baddie stalking you mechanic is really the hallmark of Resident Evil isn't it. Forget the rest, whether it's Mr. X, Nemesis, Jack Baker or Madame Dimestricu... I don't really feel like I'm getting the full experience until  I'm running from the unstoppable (pre boss fight) baddie.

That and the corny as hell theatrics of it. Love it. Even loving Ethan's understated, resigned, flat tone. His constant "what the hell?" In the face of escalating madness around him is fantastically kitsch.

The big departure from other REs is the lack of an inventory box, I read that dropped items persist so maybe you can pick crap back up if you leave it somewhere buy haven't tried that. Otherwise buy the inventory upgrade as soon as you have the Lei to do it. 

Edited by renton

2 hours ago, renton said:

Got it yesterday. Through to the castle and have killed off two of the three daughters so far, and have a sniper rifle. 

The baddie stalking you mechanic is really the hallmark of Resident Evil isn't it. Forget the rest, whether it's Mr. X, Nemesis, Jack Baker or Madame Dimestricu... I don't really feel like I'm getting the full experience until  I'm running from the unstoppable (pre boss fight) baddie.

That and the corny as hell theatrics of it. Love it. Even loving Ethan's understated, resigned, flat tone. His constant "what the hell?" In the face of escalating madness around him is fantastically kitsch.

The big departure from other REs is the lack of an inventory box, I read that dropped items persist so maybe you can pick crap back up if you leave it somewhere buy haven't tried that. Otherwise buy the inventory upgrade as soon as you have the Lei to do it. 

I'm not that far yet, just killed the first one, I think. I honestly can't play it too long at once as I just turn into a bag of nerves. 

I fully agree with the Ethan description. Literally could have half his face eaten off and he'd just give a "what.. the f**k" line. I've enjoyed the story and characters so far but the burning house bit was horribly acted to me, I was over it the second I saw where it was going. 

13 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I'm not that far yet, just killed the first one, I think. I honestly can't play it too long at once as I just turn into a bag of nerves

I fully agree with the Ethan description. Literally could have half his face eaten off and he'd just give a "what.. the f**k" line. I've enjoyed the story and characters so far but the burning house bit was horribly acted to me, I was over it the second I saw where it was going. 

Did you play RE7? I thought that was more tense, I guess still pretty early in the game but for the most part they throw ammo at you, unlike 7 where you were counting every bullet. Also, they have separated out the ingredients for making ammo and first aid stuff. In RE7 you had to really think about how you wanted to use that chem fluid as it did both ammo and first aid.

35 minutes ago, renton said:

Did you play RE7? I thought that was more tense, I guess still pretty early in the game but for the most part they throw ammo at you, unlike 7 where you were counting every bullet. Also, they have separated out the ingredients for making ammo and first aid stuff. In RE7 you had to really think about how you wanted to use that chem fluid as it did both ammo and first aid.

Aye I played 4 as a youngster then fell off them until 7, I loved 7. For me it was more tense due to the lack of bullets and lack of resource but just by sheer game logic i knew i wouldn't be overwhelmed where as so far with this one the fact I've got so much ammo and heals makes me constantly on edge and I've definitely screamed more playing this one, I'll need to wait til I've finished but so far I've had a lot more jump scare moments with this one. 

Completing 7 on the highest difficulty is one of my proudest gaming moments. As you say their was more thought to the inventory, every item counted for double which made it feel more desperate so to speak.

I'm actually playing village right now and just to go back to his patter I've just done the "hand" part. Now I ain't no doctor but that was seriously easy. Is their lore behind chem fluid and how it has absolute magical healing properties?

Edited by Stormzy

15 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Aye I played 4 as a youngster then fell off them until 7, I loved 7. For me it was more tense due to the lack of bullets and lack of resource but just by sheer game logic i knew i wouldn't be overwhelmed where as so far with this one the fact I've got so much ammo and heals makes me constantly on edge and I've definitely screamed more playing this one, I'll need to wait til I've finished but so far I've had a lot more jump scare moments with this one. 

Completing 7 on the highest difficulty is one of my proudest gaming moments. As you say their was more thought to the inventory, every item counted for double which made it feel more desperate so to speak.

I'm actually playing village right now and just to go back to his patter I've just done the "hand" part. Now I ain't no doctor but that was seriously easy. Is their lore behind chem fluid and how it has absolute magical healing properties?

Not the first time that's happened to him. Given the properties of the mold in 7, I think we are meant to take away that he isnt entirely normal now.

As an aside, that really wrecked Dead Space 3 when they introduced the universal ammo for every weapon.  If you aren't sweating the inventory, it's not survival horror. I think that's why I like the genre so much, not so much the atmosphere but the inventory management appeals to my anal retentive side.

Edited by renton

1 minute ago, renton said:

Not the first time that's happened to him. Given the properties of the mold in 7, I think we are meant to take away that he isnt entirely normal now.

Aye but as I recall they at least used duct tape last time...

I've just put the game down for the night. Managed a nice 1 hour long session before it got too much. I'm probably not far off where you are because I keep getting chased relentlessly right now. I sprinted through the whole castle just to get to the save point. 

My inventory is looking quite good right now without any spoilers do you think it's essential to upgrade the inventory capacity because I'm not sure I need it right now?