Resident Evil 8 - Village

SANTAN

I am very excited for this one. I started on Resi 4 then didn't play again til number 7 but they are some seriously enjoyable games. I loved the feel of 7 and this one seems to be a lot like that in terms of being more cinematic and spooky as opposed to being zombie run and gun. 

The demo for Village has been released, I'm playing it now and literally screamed like a girl for the first time in years. 

Anyone else excited for this one or got any thoughts on Resident Evil in general? 

As good as the first one is, I kind of never want to play it again (although probably will when the new one comes out). The second game's* probably scarier in every traditional sense, but the original's controls, save system and fixed camera made it filled with dread and tension as well as making me feel completely helpless. The seventh is great in so many ways but I got a bit fed up once I reached the boat.

*the remake of it

As good as the first one is, I kind of never want to play it again (although probably will when the new one comes out). The second game's* probably scarier in every traditional sense, but the original's controls, save system and fixed camera made it filled with dread and tension as well as making me feel completely helpless. The seventh is great in so many ways but I got a bit fed up once I reached the boat.

*the remake of it
I think its probably the nostalgia feel of RE1 for me, still remember being a child shit feared playing it on the PS1, all the effects they used like the camera angles and door opening cut scenes to the jump scares like the dogs jumping through the window in the upstairs corridor.

I think its probably the nostalgia feel of RE1 for me, still remember being a child shit feared playing it on the PS1, all the effects they used like the camera angles and door opening cut scenes to the jump scares like the dogs jumping through the window in the upstairs corridor.
Jesus I forgot about the doors opening. No idea what made that so effective but it absolutely was.

45 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

*the remake of it

You should play the remake of resi 1, they removed the tank control system but kept everything else and added stuff into the game, its like playing it for the first time all over again

You should play the remake of resi 1, they removed the tank control system but kept everything else and added stuff into the game, its like playing it for the first time all over again
I think that's what I did play. That's the version on PS4 I'm guessing?

If I struggled with the better controls, god only knows what it was like originally.

14 hours ago, Stormzy said:

I am very excited for this one. I started on Resi 4 then didn't play again til number 7 but they are some seriously enjoyable games. I loved the feel of 7 and this one seems to be a lot like that in terms of being more cinematic and spooky as opposed to being zombie run and gun. 

The demo for Village has been released, I'm playing it now and literally screamed like a girl for the first time in years. 

Anyone else excited for this one or got any thoughts on Resident Evil in general? 

You haven't much missed much in between. Resi 6 is very bad and 5 might be the most racist AAA game ever created. Still want to know who thought the optics of being a white guy shooting feral African villagers was acceptable. If that game came out 5 years later it could've buried the franchise.

Village (VIIIage????) looks class though. Not going to make any comments on the big vampire lady for fear of the horny patrol. You can add this to a list of other scary games that I'll be intrigued by and never get further than 45 minutes in like Alien Isolation and Resi 2 Remake.

• 2 months later...

RE1-3, it's Remake and CV are the best RE games.

RE4 is an amazing action game and brought a new audience, but was the beginning of them going off in a totally different direction.

RE5 is probably one of the best co-op games out there, but very dull in solo.

RE6 is pish.

RE7 was good for the novelty factor but is already aging poorly IMO.

RE8 I'm feeling very meh about. Not a massive fan of FP style games tbh.

I think there is a new demo for this, I'm unsure if you need to have it pre ordered to play or not, I think it might just be early access to the demo if you have it pre ordered, that sounds about right? 

Considering the game looks a lot closer to 7 than the others I'm not sure I want another demo it would just be spoilers at this point. Pretty sure the game is out in less than a month anyway. Deffo going to get it when it's out. 

On 23/04/2021 at 19:34, Stormzy said:

I think there is a new demo for this, I'm unsure if you need to have it pre ordered to play or not, I think it might just be early access to the demo if you have it pre ordered, that sounds about right? 

Considering the game looks a lot closer to 7 than the others I'm not sure I want another demo it would just be spoilers at this point. Pretty sure the game is out in less than a month anyway. Deffo going to get it when it's out. 

Yeah the game's release date is May 7th

I think PS4/5 is getting a new castle section demo at some point today

• 2 weeks later...

I got into the series from 7 and Re2 remake so a fairly new fan - though have went back and played all the mainline titles and a few of the spin offs. 

Loving Village so far.  I’ve just finished the first Lord and it’s already improved on most of the (small)  issues I had with 7 - enemy variety and Ethan being a bit boring being the main ones.

Tried to avoid spoilers but saw a few reviews that suggest it runs out of steam a little towards the end but you could say that for pretty much any RE game. The ship was the weakest part of 7 but still enjoyable enough for me so I’m staying positive.