New clubs in the West of Scotland

38 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Did Colin Boyd not say 11 applicants so far at one point in an online chat session complete with one that involved a mega bus trip?

There has been quite a lot of interest from clubs from various backgrounds and locations. It's not my place to say how many and who, that will be done through the right channels.

Clubs are being visited and assessed prior to being proposed to the members for acceptance. It would not be fair for clubs to be named who may not meet the criteria at this stage.

52 minutes ago, glensmad said:

There has been quite a lot of interest from clubs from various backgrounds and locations. It's not my place to say how many and who, that will be done through the right channels.

Clubs are being visited and assessed prior to being proposed to the members for acceptance. It would not be fair for clubs to be named who may not meet the criteria at this stage.

Actually, I just noticed one of the prospective clubs have emailed our club account introducing themselves, which is a nice touch. I think the email was sent about a fortnight ago - because there's been so little going on, I don't think anyone's been into it since!

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

Any idea when the recommended clubs will become known?

6 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Is there any reason the WOSFL can’t announce how many applicants there have been officially rather than leaking them to a “journalist”.

Edited to add: obviously without naming them just giving a number.

I’ve never spoken to that journalist and it’s up to the clubs to declare if they’ve applied as they might not be accepted for a whole host of reasons.

The board will announce the clubs that have passed all the checks and put forward to the AGM when they are ready to do so

I’ve never spoken to that journalist and it’s up to the clubs to declare if they’ve applied as they might not be accepted for a whole host of reasons.
The board will announce the clubs that have passed all the checks and put forward to the AGM when they are ready to do so

I never said you did. The journalist quoted you as saying 5 clubs.

I don’t see why you can’t say “x amount of clubs have applied we are now looking at these applications and will make further comment in the future”. Yes there will be speculation as to who they are but to say nothing at all leave laves it further open.

I don’t see why you can’t say “x amount of clubs have applied we are now looking at these applications and will make further comment in the future”. Yes there will be speculation as to who they are but to say nothing at all leave laves it further open.
The journalist didn't even get his name right, and Colin said he didn't speak to him. So perhaps not too much attention should be paid to the contents of the article.

37 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

At this point i'm glad the speculation has died down. If there was a number out there all people would be doing is trying to fill in the gaps. Which probably would have taken up most of the discussion on the EoS forum recently if it hadn't been for deciding how their season ends.

23 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

I refereed an U13s league game at Glasgow Green featuring Campbeltown. Certainly can't fault the commitment of the boys making that journey every fortnight!

I'm sure someone a lot smarter than me has looked at it but surely there is a better option than 12 year old kids being sent on a 7 hour round trip to play a football game.

51 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I'm sure someone a lot smarter than me has looked at it but surely there is a better option than 12 year old kids being sent on a 7 hour round trip to play a football game.

really low population out here and kids that play need competitive games beyond just playing each other.

Edited by cmontheloknow

On 09/04/2021 at 22:27, cmontheloknow said:

really low population out here and kids that play need competitive games beyond just playing each other.

And the folks in Kintyre really want to push ahead and improve their clubs.It’s a fault of geography but remember that Campbeltown is about four times the size of New Cumnock.

Not trying to split hairs but Campbelltown estimated population in 201l8 was 4600 and New Cumnock was 2700.

And the folks in Kintyre really want to push ahead and improve their clubs.It’s a fault of geography but remember that Campbeltown is about four times the size of New Cumnock.

2 hours ago, andy25 said:

Not trying to split hairs but Campbelltown estimated population in 201l8 was 4600 and New Cumnock was 2700.

Also New Cumnock with the catchment area of at least 10,000 with the two nearest towns or 100k+ depending on east or south Ayrshire.

15 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Also New Cumnock with the catchment area of at least 10,000 with the two nearest towns or 100k+ depending on east or south Ayrshire.

Neither of the above form a credible catchment area for a club in New Cumnock, because there are more local clubs that already cater for those populations. 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Neither of the above form a credible catchment area for a club in New Cumnock, because there are more local clubs that already cater for those populations. 

Cool story bro but there are plenty of lads from Kilmarnock who play for youth sides in Auchinleck and vice versa.

This may shock the life out of you but I know of one boy who travelled from Beith to Auchinleck to play football. 

On 11/04/2021 at 16:50, andy25 said:

Cambelltown Pupils would be a welcome addition to the WoSL. As would Oban Saints. Other WoSL clubs and supporters would look forward to one day out (once a season), to these splendid locations.'

However, ongoing finance and commitment is difficult for these 2 clubs, when they have to play 17 - 18 away league games per season. This remoteness, is the problem that Fort William continually face in the HFL.

10 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

Well,...that and the fact that they (and their pitch) continue to be shite.

The sooner FW have a feeder league to be relegated in to the better.

That's almost certainly going to be the case from next season.