New clubs in the West of Scotland

14 minutes ago, geo87 said:

I can only think of Glenvale Glennifer and St Peter’s who would have the size / committee to think they can make the step up, none of which have amateur teams unless things have changed in last couple of years.

None of the teams have their own facilities either as far as I’m aware but I am a bit out of touch these days admittedly.

All 3 have amateurs teams gleniffer and St Peters in the SSMFL and Glenvale in the Great glasgow league

Glenvale are based at the :Ferguslie Park Sports Centre, 106 Blackstoun Road, Paisley, PA3 1EX. An impressive set up with potential.

www.greaterglasgow.co.uk/clubdirlist/1040

If a Paisley club had access to this facility, they might be able to develop it a bit in a way that would work for the WoS:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Seedhill+football+complex/@55.8447596,-4.4054236,128a,35y,111.69h,45t/data=!3m1!1e3

I believe this is a “hub” owned by Renfrewshire leisure used by teams that are based in East End of paisley. Would be difficult to restrict public access as it’s a public playing field with 2/3 entrances to the park.

Alba thistle and paisley athletic were the 2 amateur teams that used this a few years back (again I’m several years out of touch so this may have changed in recent years)

I believe this is a “hub” owned by Renfrewshire leisure used by teams that are based in East End of paisley. Would be difficult to restrict public access as it’s a public playing field with 2/3 entrances to the park.

Alba thistle and paisley athletic were the 2 amateur teams that used this a few years back (again I’m several years out of touch so this may have changed in recent years)

That would be Seedhill 3G and there is also Ralston Sports Centre. I know when I was briefly involved in the Amateur game these parks were always hard to get a booking because they were always in demand. Plus you have all the local youth teams clambering for a slot.
I’m not sure if the WoSL has the same rule but I was told the Lowland League have a ruling where clubs who hire their facility out or share one, no one can use for at least an hour before the schedule kick-off.

2 hours ago, NE63 exile said:

Gleniffer have their own facility out by the airport but the last time I was there which was about three or four seasons ago it was pretty basic.

the playing turf at abbotsinch not currently in use because of digging to the land next of it 

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

In which case they should really be Hillhouse Soccer Academy. Part of Hamilton rather than Blantyre and not so far from New Douglas Park.

Hamilton_from_the_air_(geograph_5716697)

Technically blantyre starts quarter of a mile past the jock stein so it's not that far away and new douglas park isn't anywhere near it so dont know why you would mention that as being closer 

Edited by Ped

This is a farce boys clubs with no proper committee, no fan base, very little or no facilities chancing it and totally diluting the semi professional game.

I know I should respond but I can’t help myself.

So what. There are plenty of established clubs who struggle to get crowds and are held together with hard working local people. Why should we not encourage clubs to be the best they can be. That’s the whole point of the new set up.

You have to ask why these clubs didn’t want to join the juniors [emoji848][emoji848]

3 minutes ago, gaswork said:

This is a farce boys clubs with no proper committee, no fan base, very little or no facilities chancing it and totally diluting the semi professional game.

How many "big junior clubs" started off as boys clubs and/or were mocked in their early days? I'm sure quite a few. Same can be said of plenty of SPFL clubs...

22 minutes ago, Marten said:

How many "big junior clubs" started off as boys clubs and/or were mocked in their early days? I'm sure quite a few. Same can be said of plenty of SPFL clubs...

He has a point though. It might just be the speculative nature of this thread and/or the posters who contribute but reading about teams who are thinking of applying but then have to look for a ground which fits requirements is concerning. All for ambition but it all seems a bit nebulous. There are plenty of clubs who are established and who would benefit from gaining ambitious people and their ideas rather than a new or very young club starting afresh.

16 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

He has a point though. It might just be the speculative nature of this thread and/or the posters who contribute but reading about teams who are thinking of applying but then have to look for a ground which fits requirements is concerning. All for ambition but it all seems a bit nebulous. There are plenty of clubs who are established and who would benefit from gaining ambitious people and their ideas rather than a new or very young club starting afresh.

It would be interesting to know of any clubs that you've heard about which have applied to join the WoS. Any clues?

1 hour ago, Ped said:

Technically blantyre starts quarter of a mile past the jock stein so it's not that far away and new douglas park isn't anywhere near it so dont know why you would mention that as being closer 

Hamilton, Burnbank and Blantyre have all long since merged into each other (there was even Springwell in between the latter two if Robertson's were to be believed) so wasn't suggesting anything was far away. Hillhouse is in Hamilton rather than Blantyre was the only point I was making and the picture was basically just to show people not familiar with the area where a new Hamilton senior team would be based relative to the Accies if this is WoS related.

1 hour ago, gaswork said:

Suspect they see the WoS as the place to be right now more because of the U20 league angle than the WoS first team. There's definitely a niche for a Strathaven team but not convinced there is a need for every 3G cage facility in towns that already have clubs to enter senior football just because they suddenly can.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

50 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

The vast majority of it is gossip and rumour with very few having the inside track of what clubs are actually looking to do. Looking at google maps and some photos online isn't the best indicator of a what a club actually intends to do if they get accepted into the league.

For most of these clubs it seems the more coherent structure of the Development League and lower level football they will operate under its more attractive than the mix of u21s and Amateurs that exist across the West of Scotland.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

Exactly, and I could understand the viewpoint better if they were joining an organisation where every team is a Talbot or Pollok.

The fundamental fallacy is to choose to believe that level is sustained throughout all the sides already involved. Choosing to do do is flying in the face of all the available evidence...for every paragon like the couple I mentioned, there are two or three "traditional" clubs who struggle by with a handful of committee and are unable to make any improvements to grounds that are falling apart either through sheer lack of finance or because the council actually own them, while having a fanbase of twenty old guys who congregate every other Saturday to moan about how It Wasn't Like This In My Day.

Full disclosure - the idea of visiting functional 3G cages with minimal spectator facilities isn't my idea of a good time either but everyone has to start somewhere.

Edited by Hillonearth