New clubs in the West of Scotland

2 hours ago, Pollok mad said:

It's something you see far more often at the bottom end of the English pyramid where most of the game won't have more than a few friends and a couple of people passing by, it's just something we haven't really seen in semi pro football in Scotland because of no pyramid and the fact we still have a distinction between professionals and amateurs. There is only so many fans to go round really and adding more teams to the pyramid will mean some teams aren't really even in a position where they need much of a paying fanbase to keep the lights on 

Yep I was a frequent visitor to the Southside Nou Camp in the 80's and the crowds there were mad. Feel a lot of the ex-juniors fans are too hung up on attendances and almost judge the game on that.

Was at Stepford in Sept for Easterhouse v Kilsyth Ath. official attendance was 64 and at the Sportsfield in Oct for the Kilsyth Derby attendance >200 as far as I'm aware players didn't notice and certainly didn't affect how they played. 

Both enjoyable games and wonder just how important financially attendances are for clubs at non league level?

3 hours ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

Darvel actually isn’t as remote as most folk think. Is it not just over half an hour off the M74 past Strathaven.?

That's the A71 not the greatest road in winter.

On 17/03/2023 at 11:48, PossilYM said:

For that to work you'd need some sort of population and a train station.

I'm looking to relocate and I'll supply my own shovel and wheelbarrow. Who else is in? 

30 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

It’s a shame every road isn’t a motorway isn’t it.

I live in deepest Galloway what is this motorway thing you speak of?

🙄🙄🙄🙄

On 17/03/2023 at 12:16, PossilYM said:

The reason why i looked so far ahead was based on the present day rules of one promotion place and playoffs into the LL from above and below.

Hypothetically had the pyramid began say in 1980 then by now we'd have clearly seen the outcome.

The rules of course could change in time to automatic promotion/relegation to the LL and above.

Why i mention public transport is because of the Darvel affect.

You can really forget a midweek game without access to a car.

Not exactly great when the bulk of Central Belt population is almost but not quite within reach.

How long can it be time wise to Darvel, from say the top end of Hamilton in a car?

I'll admit I'm suspicious of football grounds that are nowhere near a train station.

Just realised possil mate will never see you at a game down here in the Stewartry. 

Trains, we're lucky if a bus goes near our grounds. That's why we all drive tractors down here.

😀😀😀😀

When there are posts about crowd numbers etc and the importance of crowds and finance I am always reminded the discussion I had with the vice chairman of an SPFL club a number of years ago when we were conducting a transfer. We were discussing crowd numbers and I had said that year our average attendance had been in the 450-500 area. He said to me that theirs was slightly less. I asked him about what impact that had on their budget to which he told me none.

Knowing their budget was larger than ours I asked how they financed and he said all that mattered to them was the sponsor money, SPFL money, SFA money and UEFA money each year. If they managed to get a game on TV or a visit to or from a side from a division above were all bonuses. 

It goes to show that crowd numbers are not the be all and end all that some people make them out to be. 

3 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

When there are posts about crowd numbers etc and the importance of crowds and finance I am always reminded the discussion I had with the vice chairman of an SPFL club a number of years ago when we were conducting a transfer. We were discussing crowd numbers and I had said that year our average attendance had been in the 450-500 area. He said to me that theirs was slightly less. I asked him about what impact that had on their budget to which he told me none.

Knowing their budget was larger than ours I asked how they financed and he said all that mattered to them was the sponsor money, SPFL money, SFA money and UEFA money each year. If they managed to get a game on TV or a visit to or from a side from a division above were all bonuses. 

It goes to show that crowd numbers are not the be all and end all that some people make them out to be. 

At Threaves Meadow Park they regularly have events on a Sat Night in their social club. Live music etc.

And on match days it can be quite busy in there with punters watching ths racing or rugby.

Would imagine these to be good sources of income to clubs with a social club used in this way.

1 hour ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Just realised possil mate will never see you at a game down here in the Stewartry. 

Trains, we're lucky if a bus goes near our grounds. That's why we all drive tractors down here.

😀😀😀😀

Seen Darvel play St Cuthbert's end of last season couple of days before Darvel committed Hari Kari v Tranent.

Have been to CD and saw Threave Rovers play many moons ago.

Seen Dalbeattie Star on my travels 

Annan to Stranraer, been there done it.

13 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

And that's why the pyramid strikes terror into the likes of Morton etc.

Edited by PossilYM

9 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

18 home league games, plus the higher ticket prices still would have edged things financially i'd have thought.

9 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Team with a 100 on average v. a team with 400 on average. One's dismissed as having no fans and the other well supported. That 300 difference seems like a lot. With a top price of £6-8 minus concessions or children in free, it's money that can found through other sources.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

18 home league games, plus the higher ticket prices still would have edged things financially i'd have thought.

Team with a 100 on average v. a team with 400 on average. One's dismissed as having no fans and the other well supported. That 300 difference seems like a lot. With a top price of £6-8 minus concessions or children in free, it's money that can found through other sources.

It is a lot, it's an increase of 300%

2 hours ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

In that case the A71 is a Galloway motorway.

😀😀😀

It's still better than most roads down here in the forgotten county.

1 hour ago, VodkaTap said:

Having driven both the A71 & the A75 on a regular basis in recent times - give me the A75 any day of the week !!

Oh yeah agree that's why I said most. Leave the 75 and it's like driving with Top Gear in Patagonia. The old military road that runs through the Stewartry and thw roads above Kirkcudbright are something else.

On 21/03/2023 at 21:19, HorseyGhirl said:

I live in deepest Galloway what is this motorway thing you speak of?

🙄🙄🙄🙄

Two horse and carts going in opposite directions can pass each other without one going in the ditch. They're the way forward.

• 4 weeks later...