New clubs in the West of Scotland

9 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Any new clubs accepted into the league by the member clubs at the upcoming AGM would go into the bottom tier of the WoSFL. Whether this is the Fourth Division or Third Division conferences is also to be decided by the clubs.

Has the format for how the Conferences would be formed decided so that clubs can clearly see what the choice is between? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/06/2022 at 19:07, paul-r-cfc said:

https://fb.watch/dzgqz9MVjY/

Hell of a site that Giffnock Soccer Centre have just acquired, and with the overwhelming support of the local community from what I saw. Wouldn't rule out them popping up in the West at some point, St Cadocs style.

There's been a suggestion on a P&B thread by the Glencairn/WoS rep that if an 80 club limit is introduced (not certain yet) that the WoS could still be expanded to take in a club from the LL without the need to relegate the bottom club in the WoS.

However, an 80 club limit for the WoS would be a potential dampener to the hopes of clubs which may be interested in joining the WoS in future, unless arrangements can be made with Amateur leagues for some sort of feeder league system. That would imply relegation from the WoS at some time further ahead.

If all of this seasons' applicants are accepted then there would be no room for new clubs in a year's time. That would be affected by promotion of a WoS club to the LL or even a LL club coming down to the WoS. Both are possible.

Yet the WoS is actively considering accepting a club from outside its' current area, so blocking local clubs' chances of getting into the WoS in future. If another "out of area" club applies in 12 months time will they be accepted in preference to another applicant from the existing WoS area or would an existing club be relegated in order to make room? 

Good luck to Giffnock Soccer Centre and other similar progressive clubs.

3 hours ago, KRayr said:

That's a boys club ffs. 

They have nowhere to play permanent. 

No fans. 

No history of men's football. 

Like a good dozen of clubs involved this imo is all so laughable but crack on 🤣

They are a well run club and certainly established in youth and amateur football but I see where you are coming from also. Teams need to understand their level.

Where's the funding coming from to build a suitable ground to meet the semi professional requirements?

10 minutes ago, Crazy Feet said:

They are a well run club and certainly established in youth and amateur football but I see where you are coming from also. Teams need to understand their level.

Where's the funding coming from to build a suitable ground to meet the semi professional requirements?

Wasn't Huntershill considered good enough for lower levels of the West Region? It was only once Rossvale were in the Premier that more serious issues were raised.

We've just seen Bonnyton Thistle get an SFA Licence. It's actually going to be easier for a club like West Park United with all their age and women's teams to fundraise a suitable facility. http://westparkunited.co.uk/

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Wasn't Huntershill considered good enough for lower levels of the West Region? It was only once Rossvale were in the Premier that more serious issues were raised.

We've just seen Bonnyton Thistle get an SFA Licence. It's actually going to be easier for a club like West Park United with all their age and women's teams to fundraise a suitable facility. http://westparkunited.co.uk/

Huntershill is a council owned facility is it not?

I did mention already they are very well run at youth level etc with plenty of teams, a bit like Drumchapel United I guess but we've seen all the issues Drumchapel have encountered already in the WOSFL with many teams complaining about the Donald Dewar Centre not being fit for purpose.

4 minutes ago, Crazy Feet said:

Huntershill is a council owned facility is it not?

I did mention already they are very well run at youth level etc with plenty of teams, a bit like Drumchapel United I guess but we've seen all the issues Drumchapel have encountered already in the WOSFL with many teams complaining about the Donald Dewar Centre not being fit for purpose.

Not everyone owns their own stadium. Plenty have council ownership or oversight. Wasn't that the problem that Petershill had with their ground as it was ran by Glasgow Life who have since given control of the running of the place to an arm of Partick Thistle.

2 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

Yeah, good luck to them - I suppose the only real question is that of catchment area.

It's open for debate whether there ever was any real appetite for even one semi-pro side in the Briggs but now there's three there, with there set to be two iterations of Rossvale going forward.

5 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Yeah, good luck to them - I suppose the only real question is that of catchment area.

It's open for debate whether there ever was any real appetite for even one semi-pro side in the Briggs but now there's three there, with there set to be two iterations of Rossvale going forward.

Since going back to Petershill, Rossvale Juniors seem to have distanced themselves from the notion that they are a Bishopbriggs club. It's "North Glasgow" these days.

I think it all goes down to expectations. Some of the newer adult age sides from youth teams aren't doing it with the idea of hitting the SPFL. It's a kind of continuation of what they would be doing with 21s and amateur sides. Now its 20s and a WoSFL side.

If you're already running an amateur side, why not transition it to a pyramid league and opening the possibility of SFA licencing etc.

The existing WoS Rossvale are turning into a bit of a cowboy outfit with that daft Gibraltar link-up and so on, not surprised the original youth club wanted to distance themselves from it, a bit like BSC Glasgow from Podcast Cumbernauld FC.