New clubs in the West of Scotland

5 hours ago, Dev said:

It will be interesting to see if the clubs think that taking in a rebranded amateur club (Eglinton) or a club from another Pyramid League (Threave Rovers) is OK. They would be taking places (in future) from existing clubs from the established WoS area. Is that wise?

That news story is the first thing I've seen about Eglinton beyond a remark on here that it was a Kilwinning ams team. So I don't know how storied they are as a club.

Linlithgow Thistle - Bo'ness United Juniors - Bo'ness Athletic

Shettleston Juniors - Glasgow United

Drumchapel United PYM - Drumchapel United

Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts - Swifts

Plenty of others. It's not like they're the first team to go with a name change at lower level.

I know you've got a bee in your bonnet about Threave Rovers. Having played a number of South sides in the SCC, Nithsdale in the Cup Winners Shield, St Cuthbert Wanderers in the LL Playoff. I think most people in the West wouldn't mind streamlining the pyramid and that's not going to happen in PWG meetings. If teams can manage the one league game away to Campbeltown or Kirkconnel they can manage Castle Douglas. The issue is on Threave Rovers playing half the season with some major travel commitments.

12 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

That news story is the first thing I've seen about Eglinton beyond a remark on here that it was a Kilwinning ams team. So I don't know how storied they are as a club.

Linlithgow Thistle - Bo'ness United Juniors - Bo'ness Athletic

Shettleston Juniors - Glasgow United

Drumchapel United PYM - Drumchapel United

Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts - Swifts

Plenty of others. It's not like they're the first team to go with a name change at lower level.

I know you've got a bee in your bonnet about Threave Rovers. Having played a number of South sides in the SCC, Nithsdale in the Cup Winners Shield, St Cuthbert Wanderers in the LL Playoff. I think most people in the West wouldn't mind streamlining the pyramid and that's not going to happen in PWG meetings. If teams can manage the one league game away to Campbeltown or Kirkconnel they can manage Castle Douglas. The issue is on Threave Rovers playing half the season with some major travel commitments.

Either the WoS clubs accept the potential newcomers or they don't. It sounds as though all applicants have been checked out by the League officials in the usual way. Presumably the Eglinton side meets the criteria or will do by the end of two seasons. Re-branding is up to the individual club but the timing maybe isn't the best as it has caused some mystery and confusion amongst some - at least on P&B !

The bee in the bonnet is about the integrity of the Pyramid. Those who seem bothered about the activities of other leagues need to set the right example themselves don't they? 

Montrose Roselea moving from East to North or Harthill Royal going to the West rather than the East won't change anything. A few teams from the WoS area entering the SoS wouldn't make a difference either. However, a leading SoS club from within Dumfries and Galloway moving to the WoS is a different matter altogether when it comes to the integrity of the Pyramid. Even if they succeed it would mean one less place in the WoS is available to the next Eglinton !

1 hour ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Threave Rovers have officially resigned from the South of Scotland League. Must be confident they're getting accepted. 

Can't see there being any danger of Threave being rejected at the WoSFL AGM.

Must be kicking themselves for not following Bonnyton's lead in applying to join it at the inception though (mind you, that might have led to an initial 21-club Premier Division! 😱)

7 minutes ago, archieb said:

Must be kicking themselves for not following Bonnyton's lead in applying to join it at the inception though (mind you, that might have led to an initial 21-club Premier Division! 😱)

Nah, since Darvel & Blantyre were given a shared title. Cumbernauld United would have been shut out. 

6 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Mildly surprising that they didn't want to keep an SoS reserve team in a Stranraer and Caledonian Braves sort of way but maybe they were told to take a hike on that. 

If they decide WoS is not for then then I think it’s nearly guaranteed that they’d be accepted back into the SoS

12 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Just a quick question, any idea when the West fixtures are being compiled/released ?  Also,would the Threave situation be down to where they draw their players from ? 

As far as I’m aware Threave tend to rely on signing local based players from down in the South West.

2 minutes ago, glensmad said:
18 minutes ago, Hossy87 said:
When is the AGM? Hoping to hear how the Threave situation works out.  

25th June.

Does that mean clubs below the Second Division are having to spend a month not knowing what format the Third Division/Fourth Division will be?

On 01/06/2022 at 06:59, NE63 exile said:

As far as I’m aware Threave tend to rely on signing local based players from down in the South West.

Yep mostly if not all based locally. They’ve just signed Lewis Sloan from Dalbeattie Star who’s arguably been the best attacking player from the region in the last 10 years. 

Harthill in the draw for the EOSFL King Cup 2022-23, so that's them moved then.

Will Threave need to start from the bottom (Div. 4), or seeing as they're already licensed, can they start from Div. 3?  Or is there no way of knowing until the AGM?

Harthill in the draw for the EOSFL King Cup 2022-23, so that's them moved then.
Will Threave need to start from the bottom (Div. 4), or seeing as they're already licensed, can they start from Div. 3?  Or is there no way of knowing until the AGM?

As Threave Rovers are licenced then I think they can go in Division 3 for next season as Division 4 is for clubs that need to be up to certain standards to be able to move to Division 3 subject to the WOS Board if I am correct

Any new clubs accepted into the league by the member clubs at the upcoming AGM would go into the bottom tier of the WoSFL. Whether this is the Fourth Division or Third Division conferences is also to be decided by the clubs.