New clubs in the West of Scotland

1 hour ago, theesel1994 said:

I don't know where the push is coming from - but don't assume the West champions will automatically win the play-off. It is likely (in my opinion) in Darvel and Talbot's case but after that not so sure.

I suppose I can understand it - they expect clubs to be committed to a pyramid system and that means being licenced so they can take part in play-off.

I meant over a 5 year period, there's likely to be at least 2-3 WOS teams going up - even if the strongest EOS club goes up first that'll make subsequent play-offs easier (if it's not auto promotion by then). 

A third of the licensed clubs in the EOS are outside the Premier and probably half would never be in contention for the title, so it's not all about promotion. 

None of these new clubs applying have their own ground and can't meet the WOSFL requirements. It's insanity.

I'm all for being ambitious but surely you need to know your level? Where is the funding going to come from to build your own stadium to meet the WOSFL requirements?

West Park United only joined the amateur ranks last season and play at Huntershill 3G pitch.

Thorn Athletic are a very well run and established amateur club and they have their own grass pitch but it's an open grass pitch with no seating / stadium area.

Is Huntershill the pitch Rossvale played on at Auchinairn Rd?

If it is then a bit of terracing and a cover for a 100 would get it up to speed.

Rossvale made noises about doing just that then abandoned ship.

Common sense would be West Park and Rossvale getting together and splitting the cost.

2 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

None of these new clubs applying have their own ground and can't meet the WOSFL requirements. It's insanity.

I'm all for being ambitious but surely you need to know your level? Where is the funding going to come from to build your own stadium to meet the WOSFL requirements?

West Park United only joined the amateur ranks last season and play at Huntershill 3G pitch.

Thorn Athletic are a very well run and established amateur club and they have their own grass pitch but it's an open grass pitch with no seating / stadium area.

No clubs will be permitted entry to the league if, in the opinion of the Management Committee, their grounds do not meet the requirements.

2 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

None of these new clubs applying have their own ground and can't meet the WOSFL requirements. It's insanity....

...with the sole exception of Threave Rovers. If some of the Division 4 teams also get emptied for that reason at the end of next season, any danger of hitting 80 in numbers terms is probably well off into the future. Think the big attraction for some of these applicants and also some of last year's may be access to the U-20 setup more than the WoS itself.

25 minutes ago, glensmad said:

No clubs will be permitted entry to the league if, in the opinion of the Management Committee, their grounds do not meet the requirements.

Drumchapel United were admitted and only had the Donald Dewar Leisure Centre as a park.

If you can't turn a local authority plastic pitch and floodlights into something resembling a proper football ground then I question what these clubs are doing in non league football.

They should go and have a look at Renfrew, Clydebank, Rutherglen Glencairn or Gartcairn for ideas.

Bit of terracing along with a lavvy and some catering.

Sorted.

36 minutes ago, Crazy Feet said:

Drumchapel United were admitted and only had the Donald Dewar Leisure Centre as a park.

Drumchapel United are founder members of the league along with all of the ex-junior teams. The decision to let them into the WoSFL was made by the Lowland League administration who were managing the league at the time.

26 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

If you can't turn a local authority plastic pitch and floodlights into something resembling a proper football ground then I question what these clubs are doing in non league football.

They should go and have a look at Renfrew, Clydebank, Rutherglen Glencairn or Gartcairn for ideas.

Bit of terracing along with a lavvy and some catering.

Sorted.

The funding is the issue. If the council won't fund it, then where are these clubs pulling huge sums of cash like that from?

Weren't last years new clubs given two years to sort out facilities which match WoS requirements? If so they will have another 12 months to achieve that, if needs be. Any newcomers would, presumably, come along with plans to have the necessary facilities by two years time. Maybe most of the applicants are working on that?

There's a move for community groups to take on Council facilities. That would give the groups security at such locations so that they can try to raise any finance necessary to get things up to standard in time.

Easterhouse are a fair way down the track with their new facility. Couldn't others be looking at a Council facility take-over and up-grade or share? That might explain why some clubs have applied this time? It will be interesting to see what happens. If they can add to the available suitable grounds on offer already that would be a good thing.  

Who are Eglinton? Where would they play?

It would be good if they are the team that was originally hoping to become Annbank United? Maybe reviving an old famous Ayrshire club name?

5 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

The WoSFL needs a strong Glenbuck Cherrypickers. 

Bill Shankly and all. (looked it up on Wiki so it must be correct!).

Great name for a club though.

38 minutes ago, Dev said:

Who are Eglinton? Where would they play?

It would be good if they are the team that was originally hoping to become Annbank United? Maybe reviving an old famous Ayrshire club name?

Unless I'm reading it wrongly they hail from Kilwinning.

11 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Is Huntershill the pitch Rossvale played on at Auchinairn Rd?

If it is then a bit of terracing and a cover for a 100 would get it up to speed.

Rossvale made noises about doing just that then abandoned ship.

Common sense would be West Park and Rossvale getting together and splitting the cost.

Yes it is and they went to the council for planning permission at Huntershill and it was rejected, hence the move to Petershill Park. They really need to move back to Huntershill somehow if they want to generate some support. Mind you their womens team get no bad numbers sometimes. 

its a shame because Huntershill would be a really great venue for Rossvale and the surface on the bottom pitch is quality! 

Edited by candycelt

On 30/04/2022 at 09:12, LongTimeLurker said:

Thorn Athletic appear to be from Johnstone:

https://www.thornathletic.com/

and West Park United from Bishopbriggs:

https://westparkunited.co.uk/

Would Eglinton be from Kilwinning?

West Park could work if planning permission for Huntershill was to ever be approved. Get Rossvale and West Park playing there, two good surfaces and plenty of space to set some terracing and catering up. Could even have one home ground on the top pitch and one on the bottom pitch! But… I don’t get the need for two WoSFL teams from Bishopbriggs. 

Also, what is “Rossvale Academy”? Is this a B team that Rossvale want in a lower WoSFL division, or is it a separate entity? 

40 minutes ago, candycelt said:

West Park could work if planning permission for Huntershill was to ever be approved. Get Rossvale and West Park playing there, two good surfaces and plenty of space to set some terracing and catering up. Could even have one home ground on the top pitch and one on the bottom pitch! But… I don’t get the need for two WoSFL teams from Bishopbriggs. 

Also, what is “Rossvale Academy”? Is this a B team that Rossvale want in a lower WoSFL division, or is it a separate entity? 

Rossvale Academy have nothing to do with Rossvale FC whatsoever, its full on split. Rossvale U20s pulled out of the league, the team were taken over by the academy half way through the season but it all backfired and split just got worse. I cant see Rossvale FC adding a new U20s next season as they wont be dealing with the academy and then again don't think Rossvale Academy will be adding a u20s team either but I'm sure both teams will have chat to see if they want to add U20s or not for next season. 

Rossvale Academy from what I'm hearing will be based at Huntershill and Rossvale will be based at Petershill Park.  Westpark United and Rossvale go way back and Westpark have had autonomy on the main Huntersghill Astro park but get a feeling both academy and Westpark have arranged to share weekends when match day is on in division 4.  East Dunbartonshire council are the worst council regarding helping out youth groups and i think both academy and Westpark combined will find it hard for Huntersgill to be brought up to scratch within 2 years but I hope I'm wrong on this. I hope the council will change their views

You'd need Perry Mason on board to figure some of this regarding the doublers.

Are they new teams or two for the price of one.

3 teams from Bishopbriggs?

Rumour has it another outfit from out that way are having a look ie Glasgow Harp.

Think they mighy play on the pitch facing Low Moss Prison.

Probably like the early days of Scottish football, teams will spring up and disappear just as fast.