New clubs in the West of Scotland

11 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Had to look that up. Had it confused with the old red ash football pitches on Broomfield Rd I remember from the old Glasgow transport league. Easy on the tackling he's on a back shift.

Hopefully Finnart can long term get playing nearer Bridgeton.

Love the Bridgeton Cross Umbrella on the badge.

I suppose in their case it's relatively easy for anyone to walk up to Bellgrove and get a train direct to Springburn. Obviously, their spiritual home of Glasgow Green is almost certainly a non-starter in terms of working up to being a "proper" ground in the future, but I wonder longer term if Crownpoint is a possibility.

Regarding what crowds some of the startup teams will attract, I expect they'll be minimal aside from some with a family/friend connection to the players involved...as ever there might be a slight uptick initially with a combination of groundhoppers and the curious, but once that's done with the spartan nature of the venues most of them will be playing out of will mean the steady state crowds will likely be low, especially once the weather turns.

Many of the pre-existing clubs have large memberships, but it's now been proved repeatedly that doesn't automatically translate into support for the adult side. You've got to start somewhere however.

Last season's new WoSFL clubs plus this seasons new applicants seem to have a cross section of venues. Glasgow Uni seem to jump between Airdrie's stadium and the Science Park at the top of Maryhill. St Cadoc's moved in with the Ants. Harmony Row from this year's batch is a strange one, the pitch that's mentioned unless I'm reading it wrong seems to be the one at Braehead. Saw a bounce game there and there ain't anywhere inside the cage for spectators to stand by any rules the old West Juniors had never mind the WoSFL. Maybe you watch the game through the cage fence. Suppose the grace period is a couple of seasons but after that most of the new clubs would need to build/upgrade a ground  or look at a ground share.

Look at the hassle Rossvale had with that ground out at the Colston lights.

Best not mention BSC (Glasgow) and the Alloa farce.

Edited by Tutankhamen
f**k the SFA

11 hours ago, The craw said:

any wurd  on st cadocs and their 6k stadia?

There has been a lot of opposition to their plans to do a deal with the Council due to the loss of public space so not sure anything will happen soon there.

On 20/05/2021 at 23:25, Kennie said:

Aiming for a 12 Home & 12 Away season.

Does that imply that, regardless of the number of clubs in the Division (i.e. up to 13), there will some clubs playing others three times or is there hope of up to 13 clubs in the final set-up of the Division? Anything that can be said at present?

54 minutes ago, Dev said:

Does that imply that, regardless of the number of clubs in the Division (i.e. up to 13), there will some clubs playing others three times or is there hope of up to 13 clubs in the final set-up of the Division? Anything that can be said at present?

How many new clubs are there?

10 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

How many new clubs are there?

The 9 known about. Stewarton and Kilbride Thistle got name checked as still in talks for 2021-22 by parkcircus, but that was over a week ago. If they've since had a video chat with everyone it's possible it's just going to be the 9.

1 hour ago, Dev said:

It's  a 3 game set-up. 1 Home, 1 Away + 1 of either.

27 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The 9 known about. Stewarton and Kilbride Thistle got name checked as still in talks for 2021-22 by parkcircus, but that was over a week ago. If they've since had a video chat with everyone it's possible it's just going to be the 9.

Can you name the 9?

Just now, FairWeatherFan said:

Broomhill Sports Club, Campbeltown Pupils, Finnart, Glenvale, Harmony Row, Harthill Royal, Kilsyth Athletic, St Peter's, and Westerton United.

Thank you FWF.

That'll be some trip on a winters day to Campbeltown.

Outside of Kilsyth Athletic and Harthill Royal the other 6 seem close enough to each other travel wise.

I wish all 9 of them every success. What they are about to do off the park, never mind on it, would take the heart of a lion. Harthill Royal and Campbeltown both have grounds so that's a bonus for them.

The other 7, Jeezo good luck.

I know St Peters FC are ground sharing with Renfrew but that still leaves the future.

Starting off in a public park/cage for the rest and trying to build a stadium plus find some sort of support borders on genius if they can pull it off.

2 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Thank you FWF.

That'll be some trip on a winters day to Campbeltown.

Outside of Kilsyth Athletic and Harthill Royal the other 6 seem close enough to each other travel wise.

I wish all 9 of them every success. What they are about to do off the park, never mind on it, would take the heart of a lion. Harthill Royal and Campbeltown both have grounds so that's a bonus for them.

The other 7, Jeezo good luck.

I know St Peters FC are ground sharing with Renfrew but that still leaves the future.

Starting off in a public park/cage for the rest and trying to build a stadium plus find some sort of support borders on genius if they can pull it off.

It will be interesting. It's a weird one in a way since Rossvale, KRR, and St Cadoc's are all looking for permanent solutions but full fledged members having got into the league from it's inception.

There was also the initial concern over where Drumchapel United would play when they got in. Many expecting a groundshare but they got their place up to scratch apparently. Not sure how much of that was due to COVID and no fans making it easier to manage. So I suppose if they can do it, some of the new boys can get something in place that meets the membership criteria.

Said to the missus, "the football's starting back soon".

"Thats good" code for thank f**k I'll get rid of him on a Saturday afternoon.

"I'm thinking of flying over to Campbeltown to take in a match, maybe stay the night and fly back on the Sunday".

Silence.

30 minutes later "did you say something earlier about flying to Clydebank?".

Me hen, naw.

Edited by Tutankhamen
f**k the SFA

Broomhill Sports Club confirming they've cut ties with the Lowland League side. Reasons given the difficulty in getting a home ground in Glasgow suitable for licencing and the 1st team no longer a pathway for the youth team. So don't expect the WoSFL side to be in a rush for a licence.

https://www.bscglasgow.co.uk/

image.png.3fa00144b2d906cf8d75c0829b53d3db.png

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Broomhill Sports Club, Campbeltown Pupils, Finnart, Glenvale, Harmony Row, Harthill Royal, Kilsyth Athletic, St Peter's, and Westerton United.

I was informed that Blantyre Soccer club have applied to join the WOSFL as they have stated they are adding a U20 team into the development league as well

Anyone got any info on this

Would it be possible to sail to a Campbeltown game?

There certainly used to be a Caledonian MacBrayne peak service from Ardrossan (some sailings via Brodick on Arran).

Plus steamers Waverley and Balmoral have done heritage cruises well 'doon the watter'.

43 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I was informed that Blantyre Soccer club...

Think parkcircus has told us that they were approved but are delayed until next season now. Name is Blantyre Soccer Academy but they would play at the Jock Stein Centre in the Hillhouse scheme in Hamilton.

11 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think parkcircus has told us that they were approved but are delayed until next season now. Name is Blantyre Soccer Academy but they would play at the Jock Stein Centre in the Hillhouse scheme in Hamilton.

I take it that means the Blantyre Soccer Academy cannot apply to have their U20s team join the U20s development league this coming season  ?

Would it be possible to sail to a Campbeltown game?

There certainly used to be a Caledonian MacBrayne peak service from Ardrossan (some sailings via Brodick on Arran).

Plus steamers Waverley and Balmoral have done heritage cruises well 'doon the watter'.
Would need a two night trip.

Ferry leaves Ardrossan at 1840 (arr 2120) on a Friday, and next ferry home after the game would leave Campbeltown 1655 (arr 1935) on Sunday. Fare is £17 return, add £89 for a car.

This is the summer timetable until end of September. Thereafter, I understand that the Campbeltown Ferry is seasonal and dropped from the winter timetable.

Another option is Citylink. Dep Buchanan St 0910 arr 1322; dep Campbeltown 1700 arr 2115. There's also an 0615 (arr 1022) from Glasgow for the early bird.

Waverley Paddle Steamer TBC.