New clubs in the West of Scotland

37 minutes ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

Ok so that makes total sense, at least to me thus far.

One thing though....and don't judge as I've have a long day and the brain isn't quite functioning as it should.........are we assuming that all new clubs will likely meet the ground criteria within the year?

Just curious as to what would happen if say...7 did, and 2 did not.......would those two clubs have to go amateur for a season or two before reapplying when ground is up to scratch?

Or perhaps they believe only one or two will meet the criteria within a year therefore Div 4 could run for another season, especially if the rumours are true that a further club or two is likely to join the following season.

Apologies if I'm completely misinterpreting this.

No, St Peters are already on a 2 years plan, if there wasn’t enough team to form a league they’d need to go back amateur until they pass the ground criteria and then it reverts to would should be the normal process, pass the ground criteria and join the league.

the div 4 is only here because of the conferences and the teams that sat out, it’s not a long term solution, although if clubs keep applying it could keep going

11 minutes ago, parkcircus said:

No, St Peters are already on a 2 years plan, if there wasn’t enough team to form a league they’d need to go back amateur until they pass the ground criteria and then it reverts to would should be the normal process, pass the ground criteria and join the league.

the div 4 is only here because of the conferences and the teams that sat out, it’s not a long term solution, although if clubs keep applying it could keep going

Perfect, thank you.

What happened to Oban Saints joining the west talk, did they ever apply or not? Glad to see Campbeltown got the nod to join though, could be a great away day for fans! 

31 minutes ago, Jamie92 said:

What happened to Oban Saints joining the west talk, did they ever apply or not? Glad to see Campbeltown got the nod to join though, could be a great away day for fans! 

I don't think it was any more than wishful thinking by a few who fancied a day out.

56 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't think it was any more than wishful thinking by a few who fancied a day out.

It can't be any less realistic than Campbeltown.

Get Campbeltown, Oban, Lochgilphead Red Star and Rothesay Brandane in the Lowland League at the expense of BSC, Caledonian Braves and any two other scab outfits. 

4 minutes ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

I'm already eyeing up accommodation for a possible trip there to see a game. 

Remember going to Campbelltown once as a youngster - not necessarily a lot to do but be great to revisit and catch a game whilst I'm there.

Famous distilleries, decent pubs and Machrihanish beach is a quick bus away. The ferry from Ardrossan on a fine Friday evening is particularly glorious. 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Famous distilleries, decent pubs and Machrihanish beach is a quick bus away. The ferry from Ardrossan on a fine Friday evening is particularly glorious. 

Funny you should say Macrihanish.  It's one of three Campbelltown memories I have.

1)  My recently passed dad loved golf and he took (a young me) round Macrihanish course where he played a round.

2)  Being young I was captivated by a place called (I think) - The Chocolate Box.....does what it says on the tin.......probably long gone.

3)  There was also a cinema....not sure if it's still there.  Me and my cousins went to see something like ....Rocket Man back in the 90's.

Rock and roll lifestyle I used to live!!!  

40 minutes ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

Funny you should say Macrihanish.  It's one of three Campbelltown memories I have.

1)  My recently passed dad loved golf and he took (a young me) round Macrihanish course where he played a round.

2)  Being young I was captivated by a place called (I think) - The Chocolate Box.....does what it says on the tin.......probably long gone.

3)  There was also a cinema....not sure if it's still there.  Me and my cousins went to see something like ....Rocket Man back in the 90's.

Speaking of rock and roll lifestyles and Campbeltown, I remember a band I was in back in the day was booked to play the town hall there - the Victoria Hall? We were unloading the gear in the lane at the side of it when two polis walked down and said hello, only to see the bass player who hadn't noticed them and was still in the van head down doing an enormous line of speed off the dashboard.

We thought he was getting lifted and the gig was off, but they just shook their heads, laughed and walked away. Bizarre.

2 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Speaking of rock and roll lifestyles and Campbeltown, I remember a band I was in back in the day was booked to play the town hall there - the Victoria Hall? We were unloading the gear in the lane at the side of it when two polis walked down and said hello, only to see the bass player who hadn't noticed them and was still in the van head down doing an enormous line of speed off the dashboard.

We thought he was getting lifted and the gig was off, but they just shook their heads, laughed and walked away. Bizarre.

Haha.....only in Campbelltown eh?

See you're a Maryhill boy.....used to live near there (Ruchill) a number of years ago.......near the McD's (story of my life!) and so seen many a game at Lochburn......such a great view as you're right on top of the park.  Wouldn't like to be a linesman there mind you!

Just now, Bundesliga Boy said:

Haha.....only in Campbelltown eh?

See you're a Maryhill boy.....used to live near there (Ruchill) a number of years ago.......near the McD's (story of my life!) and so seen many a game at Lochburn......such a great view as you're right on top of the park.  Wouldn't like to be a linesman there mind you!

I started supporting the team when I lived just off Byres Rd, but I'm not from the area...I live miles away from the west end now. And aye, I've been dragged into doing the club linesman duties there many a time...there's nothing worse than someone coming into the social club ten minutes before kickoff when you're on your third pint:

"You alright for doing the line today?"

Baws.

I started supporting the team when I lived just off Byres Rd, but I'm not from the area...I live miles away from the west end now. And aye, I've been dragged into doing the club linesman duties there many a time...there's nothing worse than someone coming into the social club ten minutes before kickoff when you're on your third pint:

"You alright for doing the line today?"

Baws.

I'm a Kirky boy but moved out to Shuna Street for a few years.

Pretty brutal running the line at Lochburn.......that takes an inordinate amount of brave pills!

Hope I was kind if I was one of the many towering above!  😛

ps - way back in the day I went to see Clyde for years - we literally took about 7 or 8 guys from a very talented Maryhill side.  Clyde ended up in the Championship for a good few years because of that.

6 hours ago, parkcircus said:

That’s right, Although their will be a league winner, all clubs that have passed the ground criteria within the season will be forwarded to the AGM and Div 3. 

Div 3 is going to be a big division if even half of the new Associate Member clubs manage to meet the necessary criteria after one or two seasons.

The intention is that the Premier Division, Div 1 and Div 2 will all be made up of 16 clubs, with the rest of the members being placed in Div 3. So, with 67 full members (assuming Annbank return from their year in abeyance), and Harthill pretty much a shoo-in for admission to full membership, that puts 20+ teams into Div 3 for 2022-23!

My expectation is that Div 3 will initially need to be split into conferences, or regionalised.

19 minutes ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

I'm a Kirky boy but moved out to Shuna Street for a few years.

Pretty brutal running the line at Lochburn.......that takes an inordinate amount of brave pills!

Hope I was kind if I was one of the many towering above!  😛

ps - way back in the day I went to see Clyde for years - we literally took about 7 or 8 guys from a very talented Maryhill side.  Clyde ended up in the Championship for a good few years because of that.

TBH, you tune out the supporters when you've got to do it...had one memorable altercation with an opposing player though...he'd dragged the ball a foot or more over the line and called me a cheating b*****d when I flagged....I countered by telling him that was the worst first touch he'd taken since that time with his uncle when he was ten. That one stopped play for a good half a minute :)

Slightly before my time there, but Andy McClay, Richie McCusker, Pat Keogh and the rest...if nothing else it proved that there isn't a huge gulf between the top of the non-league game - where we were at that point in time - and the lower divisions of the SPFL.

TBH, you tune out the supporters when you've got to do it...had one memorable altercation with an opposing player though...he'd dragged the ball a foot or more over the line and called me a cheating b*****d when I flagged....I countered by telling him that was the worst first touch he'd taken since that time with his uncle when he was ten. That one stopped play for a good half a minute :)

Slightly before my time there, but Andy McClay, Richie McCusker, Pat Keogh and the rest...if nothing else it proved that there isn't a huge gulf between the top of the non-league game - where we were at that point in time - and the lower divisions of the SPFL.

Brilliant re running the lines.

Spot on re the names back then.  Alan Barraclough I think being another.  Mark McLaughlin too....if he came from Maryhill.

And yeah same applies......Kelty and co can definitely make huge steps into working their way up the pyramid.

Exciting times ahead.

2 hours ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

Bit young for this forum, are you not?