New clubs in the West of Scotland

15 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

lol, well it worked for Glasgow Prestwick 
I'm not in the know but think that's why the name change

That at least makes some sense. It let's people know know that you can use Prestwick for flying into Glasgow for folk who wouldn't otherwise realise. 

I seriously doubt there's anyone sitting around Glasgow thinking "I'd love a team to support. If only there was one that shows me it represents the whole of Glasgow in the name. Ah... Glasgow United. This is the team for me."

I can see why they've done it - there's a lot of teams whose names don't really reflect their catchment area and are a wee bit limiting. We're one of them...going by where most of our support comes from, our catchment is a huge chunk of the north west of the city from the centre out to maybe Milngavie that includes the whole west end of Glasgow, but the name of the club only reflects part of that area.

In this case though they've chosen such a bland, generic name it could ultimately work against them...IMO they'd have been better rebranding to something with a bit of soul that reflects their place in the community of the east end of the city where there always historically has been a lot of local pride.

Something as simple as Glasgow East End would have sufficed.

Edited by Hillonearth

2 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

I can see why they've done it - there's a lot of teams whose names don't really reflect their catchment area and are a wee bit limiting. We're one of them...going by where most of our support comes from, our catchment is a huge chunk of the north west of the city from the centre out to maybe Milngavie that includes the whole west end of Glasgow, but the name of the club only reflects part of that area.

In this case though they've chosen such a bland, generic name it could ultimately work against them...IMO they'd have been better rebranding to something with a bit of soul that reflects their place in the community of the east end of the city where there always historically has been a lot of local pride.

Something as simple as Glasgow East End would have sufficed.

Doubt it would any loss to the average ex Junior team to rebrand.

A crowd to most of them was/is on a good day a 100 punters.

Less family and friends it's a loss making exercise regarding gate money.

Rebrand/don't rebrand, doubt it would make any difference unless a sugar daddy appeared. 

As for the catchment area gig, only thing i can think of one thing to get noticed would be a winning team.

For example, Maryhill would need to reach the Lowland League to get any serious recognition.

And oh into the Big Scottish.

Maryhill v Partick Thistle anyone.

Edited by Tutankhamen
f**k the SFA

18 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Rebrand/don't rebrand, doubt it would make any difference unless a sugar daddy appeared. 

As for the catchment area gig, only thing i can think of one thing to get noticed would be a winning team.

For example, Maryhill would need to reach the Lowland League to get any serious recognition.

You're right - if a team simply changes its name it'll have very little effect in the grand scheme of things, and so many clubs seem to be locked into archaic ways of getting their name out there...next to no online presence, relying on A4 sheets of paper blutacked up in a handful of local pubs advertising forthcoming games and subsequently wondering why it's only the same old faces that show up every fortnight.

It says a lot that I lived just off Byres Road for about six years before I even knew Lochburn Park existed...hopefully we've got a bit better at making ourselves known since then.

Specifically with the Town, changing the name to a Glasgow-wide one is unlikely to encourage many people to start going from the southside or wherever...the bulk of their support will probably still come from the wider east end and I'd have thought it would have been better to reflect that in any new name rather than the painfully vanilla one they've chosen.

17 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

You're right - if a team simply changes its name it'll have very little effect in the grand scheme of things, and so many clubs seem to be locked into archaic ways of getting their name out there...next to no online presence, relying on A4 sheets of paper blutacked up in a handful of local pubs advertising forthcoming games and subsequently wondering why it's only the same old faces that show up every fortnight.

It says a lot that I lived just off Byres Road for about six years before I even knew Lochburn Park existed...hopefully we've got a bit better at making ourselves known since then.

Specifically with the Town, changing the name to a Glasgow-wide one is unlikely to encourage many people to start going from the southside or wherever...the bulk of their support will probably still come from the wider east end and I'd have thought it would have been better to reflect that in any new name rather than the painfully vanilla one they've chosen.

Btw, do Broomhill still claim to be a Glasgow team?

18 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

If it is true that the re-brand is tied in to the sale of the current ground for £3.5 million you'd hope that the cost of building the new ground would leave a decent size pot for creating a good team on the park. Maybe they're ambitious and could have a workable plan. Only time will tell.

54 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Btw, do Broomhill still claim to be a Glasgow team?

BSC have been saying all season that it would be their last at Alloa. If that's correct they'd surely be looking to join their hundreds of other players, youths, kids, etc back in Glasgow for next season. I wondered if they'd made an arrangement to ground share. Maybe with Queens Park? Just a guess.

Just now, Ironside8 said:

Welcome to the all new pyramid that sucks the heart and soul out of non league football where teams abandon history and tradition for absolute nonsense like this.

What was wrong with the Gaswork ID?

21 hours ago, Burnieman said:

What was wrong with the Gaswork ID?

I dunno - imagine abandoning the history and tradition of being named after a famous Junior venue in favour of a bland, generic reference to a 1960s detective show.

I blame the pyramid.

29 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Assume the social club will be pan bread?

Hope not

It's the only place I've ever had a dance and a snog off a pensioner (she was quite nice looking tbf) during half time refreshments.