New clubs in the West of Scotland

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

Yeah, this thread has gone a bit silly season with speculation being reported as fact a couple of pages later - we've already had half of Argyllshire joining up based on somebody saying they fancied a day trip to Oban

To be fair I also fancy a day trip to Lochgilphead and Rothesay

4 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

To be fair I also fancy a day trip to Lochgilphead and Rothesay

That's great for teams who would only have to travel up there once a season.

Different story for the home team having to travel to Ayrshire/Lanarkshire every other week (and possible midweeks). Buses don't come cheap these days but if that's not a problem for them and as long as any ground is up to scratch then why not.

8 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Agreed up to a point, but requiring clubs to present a 20 year plan is maybe a bit extreme...I know it's unlikely ever going to happen, but a new club could conceivably be playing in Europe within 20 years!

Rangers*

2 hours ago, santheman said:

That's great for teams who would only have to travel up there once a season.

Different story for the home team having to travel to Ayrshire/Lanarkshire every other week (and possible midweeks). Buses don't come cheap these days but if that's not a problem for them and as long as any ground is up to scratch then why not.

To be fair, they already do that in the amateur leagues, both those teams (plus Oban and Campbeltown) play in Glasgow based leagues just now.

On 06/04/2021 at 19:21, gaswork said:

Get off your high horse ffs .

Nobody is denying them the right to exist and contribute to local community but don't come near the semi professional game.

Where have the standards gone.

Down the drain by looks of it.

standards? Many decent amateur teams would throw teams about who were at the lower end of the "semi-professional" game.

On 07/04/2021 at 19:25, Craig the Hunter said:

To be fair, they already do that in the amateur leagues, both those teams (plus Oban and Campbeltown) play in Glasgow based leagues just now.

It's almost like outside of the central belt clubs aren't terrified of arriving home after dark.

On 07/04/2021 at 17:54, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Wonder if Rhu amateurs have applied, think they have a relatively decent set up (been years since ive been there). 

On 07/04/2021 at 17:54, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Wonder if Rhu amateurs have applied, think they have a relatively decent set up (been years since ive been there). 

issue with Rhu would be a ground that meets the criteria. The area has Ardencaple a platinum mark youth team and in Rhu a long standing, successful amateur side. Decent catchment area for a fanbase.

Can we stop the pointless and boring speculation . Five clubs have applied. 

Here is a paragraph from the Evening Time that says who they are.

"Meanwhile, WoSFL Board vice-chairman Gordon Boyd has confirmed the five teams to have so far submitted applications to join the WoSFL (allegedly Harthill Royal, Harmony Row,  Kilbride Thistle, Bridgeton based Finnart and Glenvale from Paisley) will be parachuted into the conferences, if successful, but will be unable to gain promotion in the first year."

"Meanwhile, WoSFL Board vice-chairman Gordon Boyd has confirmed the five teams to have so far submitted applications to join the WoSFL (allegedly Harthill Royal, Harmony Row,  Kilbride Thistle, Bridgeton based Finnart and Glenvale from Paisley) will be parachuted into the conferences, if successful, but will be unable to gain promotion in the first year."

Just more speculation by Jim O'Donnell I'm afraid. Who is this Gordon Boyd vice-chairman chap anyway ?

8 hours ago, glensmad said:

Just more speculation by Jim O'Donnell I'm afraid. Who is this Gordon Boyd vice-chairman chap anyway ?

Really? You lads should be taking him to task for that then. 

Footballing hero but taking liberties as a scoop. 

23 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Out of the alleged 5 teams
The only two teams that I know who have applied officially are Harthill and Kilbride Thistle and both look to meet the criteria for the application.

Harmony Row, they play out of Braehead right at the Glasgow border, beside some hotel and again its just a cage, although the changing rooms are right beside the park so I suppose if they see a chances then they could change the layout of the park with faculties to meet the WOSFL criteria, just depends who owns the park and how flexible they are..

Finnart amateur and big youth set up play out of Glasgow Green and have used the park in Shettleston that Shettleston U20s intend to use but not good enough for the first team so can't see them being successful.
Glenvale, the parks that they have used in the past I cannot see passing inspection for a first team to join the WOSFL

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

10 hours ago, glensmad said:

Did Colin Boyd not say 11 applicants so far at one point in an online chat session complete with one that involved a mega bus trip?

Edited by LongTimeLurker