New clubs in the West of Scotland

11 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

...Full disclosure - the idea of visiting functional 3G cages with minimal spectator facilities isn't my idea of a good time either but everyone has to start somewhere.

If there's a club like Letham in Perth that has been around for a long time getting the job done in amateur football that want a new challenge great, but not sure every "soccer academy" should be given the red carpet treatment into senior football just because pyramid progression etc etc. Burnbank Athletic and Blantyre Celtic fell by the wayside for a reason. There were only so many semi-professional clubs that the Hamilton-Blantyre area could realistically support within a short stroll of each other. Think approval should be more than a box ticking exercise on ground requirements and there needs to be a realistic plan for where a new senior club would be in another twenty years regardless of whether the key people in the club at present lost interest and stopped being involved.

I agree with Jim on the facilities argument and not every club with a cage should be joining, but if every club applying has a coherent achievable plan to get their facilities to say a Renfrew standard which shouldn’t be too arduous then we should welcome them.

55 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

If there's a club like Letham in Perth that has been around for a long time getting the job done in amateur football that want a new challenge great, but not sure every "soccer academy" should be given the red carpet treatment into senior football just because pyramid progression etc etc. Burnbank Athletic and Blantyre Celtic fell by the wayside for a reason. There were only so many semi-professional clubs that the Hamilton-Blantyre area could realistically support within a short stroll of each other. Think approval should be more than a box ticking exercise on ground requirements and there needs to be a realistic plan for where a new senior club would be in another twenty years regardless of whether the key people in the club at present lost interest and stopped being involved.

Clubs have always come and gone since leagues were invented. Whether a club is a traditional set-up or one of the modern Youth based outfits doesn't really matter provided they have the resources to meet their commitment to the league, including facilities, organisation and finance. If they still have nil support on match days it is what it is. Enjoy what's going on - on the park. In any case some of these "new" Youth based clubs have large memberships which will turn out to support them if they do well on the pitch. If they can make it work good luck to them. I wish that some of the struggling "traditional" clubs could find more support at committee level and on match days. Some way to help them needs to be found.

Is Blantyre SA looking to move up to the WoS anyway?

7 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

Can you make one of your useful lists please Dev. I have lost track this time around.

I am just waiting for something official to come from the WoS.

Naming club names is a little awkward as clubs may not wish to receive any mention unless they are put forward to the clubs for election. If they "gone public" already then that's fair game but there's only Kilbride Thistle and Harthill Royal which have done that. The league rep mentioned Harmony Row YC. There's gossip about possibly more than one club applying from Argyll and Bute - I'd like to see a stack of clubs from there. It would be great for weekends away and it would give a local derby or two for these clubs.

Loads of clubs which I thought could have potential, for some year in the future, have been mentioned on a couple of threads but they're pure guess-work. Those mentioned probably have no interest at all while others may already be making plans. You have to wonder if the likes of Blantyre SA will come through, possibly in liaison with an established club such as Blantyre Vics.

Can't wait for an official announcement from the WoS about which clubs will be put forward for election to the league. Also keen to hear what the WoS's plans for next season will turn out to be i.e. enough clubs for an extra division or only enough to add to the existing Conferences. 

15 minutes ago, Dev said:

Clubs have always come and gone since leagues were invented. Whether a club is a traditional set-up or one of the modern Youth based outfits doesn't really matter provided they have the resources to meet their commitment to the league, including facilities, organisation and finance. If they still have nil support on match days it is what it is. Enjoy what's going on - on the park. In any case some of these "new" Youth based clubs have large memberships which will turn out to support them if they do well on the pitch. If they can make it work good luck to them. I wish that some of the struggling "traditional" clubs could find more support at committee level and on match days. Some way to help them needs to be found.

Is Blantyre SA looking to move up to the WoS anyway?

Ped is the person to ask on that last bit. Beyond that given we are talking about the Jock Stein Centre it would be ironic if it hosted a senior club with no fans:

I have no strong opinion on that beyond there being a need for a club to be more than one person's ego trip like Caledonian Braves and for there to be a reasonable expectation that it will still be around in another 20 years because it caters to an identifiable community. Overall I think some people on here are getting a bit too carried away with pyramid mania to the extent that they seem to view the entry of absolutely any new team as a positive.

43 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Ped is the person to ask on that last bit. Beyond that given we are talking about the Jock Stein Centre it would be ironic if it hosted a senior club with no fans:

😀 Nice one.

Too many clubs down south are hanging by the thread of  generous sponsors, whilst attracting less than 100 for a decent level.  Guess any youth clubs who move upwards, need the backing of parents, friends etc more than ever. It's an exciting time ahead for the WOSFL, but we don't want to lose any clubs along the way. Hope the finances don't cripple any one.

21 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Overall I think some people on here are getting a bit too carried away with pyramid mania to the extent that they seem to view the entry of absolutely any new team as a positive.

For the most part I would say that's inaccurate as the enthusiam tends to be more towards existing amateurs and longstanding youth teams. Actual new teams are viewed with skepticism.

At the bottom of the senior game and the bottom of the junior game players are typically just playing for expenses no different than the amateurs. So what's the point of the 3 separate grades.

No pal. Would you like me to make one up?
People huv tae know!!

They have grids and spreadsheets to fill out you know!

He and the other geek pyramid both surely haven't seen the inside of a football park for decades . This pair in particular want every boys club under the sun to join in the free for all.

They'd have all the bb teams and old church teams signed up if they could in turn making the semi pro ex junior game a totally cheapened product.

21 minutes ago, gaswork said:

Dunno what's more annoying the total chancers diluting and polluting the semi pro game or the all new shiny woke nonsense from the west of scotland twitter account ffs

No idea what prompted that - just had a look at the offending Twitter and the only recent thing I can see that isn't directly related to football is one tweet highlighting the work clubs are doing for foodbank collections and after school homework clubs which isn't exactly screaming libtard behaviour to me.

YMMV though...I'm sure there are some out there who think back with a degree of nostalgia to when the venerable Scotty R ended a meeting by dropping an N-bomb. What's the world coming to/canny say anything these days/PC gone mad etc. etc.

16 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

No idea what prompted that - just had a look at the offending Twitter and the only recent thing I can see that isn't directly related to football is one tweet highlighting the work clubs are doing for foodbank collections and after school homework clubs which isn't exactly screaming libtard behaviour to me.

YMMV though...I'm sure there are some out there who think back with a degree of nostalgia to when the venerable Scotty R ended a meeting by dropping an N-bomb. What's the world coming to/canny say anything these days/PC gone mad etc. etc.

To look at clubs collecting wee toys and easter eggs for kids in some of the poorest parts of the country and sneer at it is the hallmark of a complete roaster. Clubs are at the heart of their communities, sometimes they are forgotten by the community when buses flood out to the bigot brothers etc but the clubs always step up and do their bit. Its right that the wosl shows just how important these teams are, they’re the identity and lifeblood of these places.