New clubs in the West of Scotland

4 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

This time last year we were hearing of club after club announcing that they were leaving the WRJFA for the WOSFL before we reached a grand total of 63 clubs + 4 other clubs. 

This season there is a deathly silence with just a few murmurs that a cohort of Amateur Clubs will be applying to join the WOSFL. But the only firm applications to date appear to be from:

* Kilbride Thistle
* Harthill Royal

In contast in the EOSFL we are almost into double figures with those clubs seeking to move to the East of Scotland.

Just wondering why there is so little Twitter / Facebook activity on prospective WOSFL applicants and above all why we are currently devoid of any rumours? 

Will they come?

Because last year involved a huge influx from West juniors and a handful from other leagues. This year that isn't happening and more like what will become normal.

33 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

This time last year we were hearing of club after club announcing that they were leaving the WRJFA for the WOSFL before we reached a grand total of 63 clubs + 4 other clubs. 

This season there is a deathly silence with just a few murmurs that a cohort of Amateur Clubs will be applying to join the WOSFL. But the only firm applications to date appear to be from:

* Kilbride Thistle
* Harthill Royal

In contast in the EOSFL we are almost into double figures with those clubs seeking to move to the East of Scotland.

Just wondering why there is so little Twitter / Facebook activity on prospective WOSFL applicants and above all why we are currently devoid of any rumours? 

Will they come?

Surely just that there are no junior clubs left to move?

Amateurs are much more at risk of being rejected due to the ground criteria. Better not to announce an application than to announce and then get rejected I would have thought.

33 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Casing point      Case in point ✔️

I was in stitches there

Some people on here, lets just say 'person A' are so jealous of others or annoyed by others or just don't even like them that they don't even make any constructive comment on posts or the threads except to try and put people down which usually backfires big style

That 'person A' should always chill, take a deep breath and ignore or just put in something in regards to the posts or the thread, instead of absolute nothing of use

The two options the other person should do, is 

A.    Ignore
or
B.    Rip the pish out of them and  show them up for the type of person they really are

I wonder what I should chose ?

So hopefully after this we get back to the points of the threads and individual posts

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

1 hour ago, never been to scotland said:

Amateurs are much more at risk of being rejected due to the ground criteria. Better not to announce an application than to announce and then get rejected I would have thought.

Yeah agree 100%,.

We will get to a stage where next year its really about if any amateur teams are capable enough of progressing and developing to reach the Pyramid system in every aspect and then once there, seeing how they perform for years to come hopefully.

I suppose the next (possible) big influx into the pyramid after the West Lothian junior teams will be the North and Tayside junior teams.  It is something that should be sorted as I get a feeling from other posts that most Tayside teams are waiting to see what happens before they decide what they are going to do

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

2 hours ago, never been to scotland said:

That's exactly it - this time last year things were a lot more public as there were a lot of clubs attempting to keep established fanbases in the loop, and moreover virtually everyone who applied was confident of getting in...in the end there was only one club rejected whose application was speculative at best  to put it charitably.

This time around most of the applicants will be holding their water on the fact that they've applied as at least some of them are likely to be borderline on whether they meet the criteria or not..

We'll find out when we find out....I expect a couple of names I've not yet seen mentioned on here to apply, but until it's confirmed there's not much point engaging in pointless speculation about whether they will.

1 minute ago, Hillonearth said:

That's exactly it - this time last year things were a lot more public as there were a lot of clubs attempting to keep established fanbases in the loop, and moreover virtually everyone who applied was confident of getting in...in the end there was only one club rejected whose application was speculative at best  to put it charitably.

This time around most of the applicants will be holding their water on the fact that they've applied as at least some of them are likely to be borderline on whether they meet the criteria or not..

We'll find out when we find out....I expect a couple of names I've not yet seen mentioned on here to apply, but until it's confirmed there's not much point engaging in pointless speculation about whether they will.

Exactly. There seems to be a need within this forum to speculate about each and every possible scenario. Although it's understandable to wonder, what does it achieve? It honestly looks like some posters hate the cyber silence.

In a season which has been a write off why would it be such a surprise that applications are down from last year? Ergo-it'll be fine.

It's obviously a hypothetical but if they were ever to step up to senior level Biggar United might look to the EOS as whilst in Lanarkshire it's culturally part of the Borders. Biggar United currently play in the Borders ammies.

Another one is Langholm Legion & Bowholm of nearby Canonbie who are in D&G but the eastern bit of D&G is culturally part of the Borders & has better links to that area. Both play in the Borders ammies. Ofc nothing to with to WOSL but worth noting.

Edited by GNU_Linux

I mean one carrot for the WoSFL to dangle to top amateur clubs is that the WoS will be considerably higher on the list than any local amateur leagues when it comes to return to playing/spectating. 

As I've said before I do think Strathclyde Uni and Oban Saints would be mad not to apply.

I mean one carrot for the WoSFL to dangle to top amateur clubs is that the WoS will be considerably higher on the list than any local amateur leagues when it comes to return to playing/spectating. 
As I've said before I do think Strathclyde Uni and Oban Saints would be mad not to apply.
If Oban Saints can get access to Mossfield Stadium then they would be a good addition. Rugby club round the corner for a pre and post match beer, and a nice place to go for an away game. Pavilion would need modernising I think but otherwise plenty room to handle any crowd in the WoS.

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

It's obviously a hypothetical but if they were ever to step up to senior level Biggar United might look to the EOS as whilst in Lanarkshire it's culturally part of the Borders. Biggar United currently play in the Borders ammies.

It has been clarified that South Lanarkshire is WoS territory:

https://www.eosfl.com/

The EoSFL and WoSFL have agreed a boundary for new member applications which is based upon local authority areas. Clubs in Stirling, Falkirk and West Lothian Council areas who wish to join the pyramid will be directed to apply to the EoSFL while clubs in North and South Lanarkshire and East Dunbartonshire will be directed to apply to the WoSFL.

7 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Harthill is just a casing point.

I've just realised Bestsinceslicebread meant "a case in point."

Edited to add:-  I see two others have commented on this.

(Also, the phrase is actually, "best since sliced bread.")

Edited by rockson

3 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Another potential attraction for Youth and Amateur clubs is the idea of the Player Pathway right through to Senior/Adult football with the same club. The Under 20's leagues being especially useful in this concept.

Also there's more clubs and community groups interested in taking on an improving facilities currently run at a loss by the councils.

The times are certainly changing!

44 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

The U20 development teams will become even more important if transfer windows are imposed on this level from next season.

I think the U20s development league is already important, Quite a few teams from the East know this already and the U20 development league will become bigger and stronger once the First teams realize the leagues importance

5 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Earlier in the thread I suggested that these two clubs may have been among the outfits that have made enquiries to join the WOSFL. Parkcircus indicated that the two clubs were not among the 14 clubs.

We know that a lot of Amateur Clubs have made enquiries and there are suggestions that a bottom tier division may be formed.

A key question now would be the conversion rate of enquiries to successful applications? Would there be enough clubs to form an additional division? We should know the number of applicants by the end of the month. 

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:

The U20 development teams will become even more important if transfer windows are imposed on this level from next season.

Having watched the improvement in only 6 months of your own team’s U20’s, it’s already making a huge difference and can only help the 1st team 

Giving players who are sometimes “lost” between youth and senior football and giving them a stable league against boys at the same age/level to learn the game from while allowing clubs to hang onto boys who might have been released in the past and giving them another chance to shine.

As a team, you could see the improvement in their match-play and 1 or 2 players coming out their shell and surprising a few folk at the talent they had been hiding

10 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Having watched the improvement in only 6 months of your own team’s U20’s, it’s already making a huge difference and can only help the 1st team 

Giving players who are sometimes “lost” between youth and senior football and giving them a stable league against boys at the same age/level to learn the game from while allowing clubs to hang onto boys who might have been released in the past and giving them another chance to shine.

As a team, you could see the improvement in their match-play and 1 or 2 players coming out their shell and surprising a few folk at the talent they had been hiding

What you have said is 100% correct and can imagine this to happen to every team in the Lowland Leagues down who has a development team, it can only help improve Scottish football 👍

We need to start again, as does everyone. Not kicked a ball in a year [emoji17]

34 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

We need to start again, as does everyone. Not kicked a ball in a year emoji17.png

At least they are still young... some of us haven’t got much playing time left in us. The body will take forever to get back up to speed too!

I just hope there isn’t too many that decide to knock it on the head and stop playing altogether... I’m already noticing at amateur level a lot of players calling it a day 😕