New clubs in the West of Scotland

20 hours ago, Sean Kenney said:

Hi guys, just going to let you know where we are with regards to changing rooms.

The current changing rooms as you say are in the school but we’ve been working since December to have changing rooms and public toilets adjacent to the pitch. This would probably have been done by now in normal times but unfortunately like so much else in the world Covid has held things up a bit. We are still confident we will have these in place for the start of pre season.
Even if there was potential flexibility with the rule on this one it’s not ideal for us and our opponents to have to go back to the school at half time so we’re working hard to make sure this isn’t the case.

Cheers,

Sean

Will your facilities be something similar to the Buffs, Glencairn etc etc?

I believe they all have short walks to the pitch. 

14 hours ago, glensmad said:
15 hours ago, Jimmy From the Block said:

Glencairn's changing rooms are 5 metres from the pitch.

Aye but takes you 5 minutes to walk the 5 metres

19 hours ago, glensmad said:
21 hours ago, Jimmy From the Block said:

Glencairn's changing rooms are 5 metres from the pitch.

He's probably getting his -cairns in a fankle...the old MTC Park at GARTcairn used to feature a sponsored walk back to the dressing rooms as halftime entertainment.

Are any of these AWP grounds suitable for WOSFL that are listed on the NLM Forum:

Ayrshire Amateurs. (19/20)

Broomlands @ Greenwood Academy , Dreghorn.
Crosshill Thistle @ Cambusdoon 3G, Burn's Wicket, Alloway,KA7 4NH.
Cumnock AFC @ Townhead Park (Juniors),Townhead St, KA18 1LY.
Galston Utd @ Loudon Academy 3G, Galston. KA4 8PD.
Hurlford Thistle @ St Josephs Academy 3G, Grassyards Rd, Kilmarnock, KA3 7SL.
Irvine Thistle AFC @ Kilwinning Academy 3G, Dalry Rd, KA13 7HD.
Shortlees @ Grange Academy3G , Beech Avenue, Kilmarnock, KA1 2EN.
Stewarton Utd @ Stewarton Sports Centre 3G, Kilwinning Rd, KA3 3DN.

Central Scottish Amateur. (19/20)

Blantyre RGM @ Bothwellhaugh Park 4G, Strathclyde Park, ML1 3RB.
Cambusnethan Talbot @ Dalziel Park 3G, Hagen Drive, Motherwell, ML1 5RZ.(Sometimes)
Drumchapel Utd PYM @ Donald Dewar Centre 3G, Garsadden Rd, G15 8SX.
Garrowhill Thistle @ Lochend Community High School, Cairnbrook Rd, Easterhouse, G34 0NZ.

Greenock Welfare. (19/20).

Battery Park , Eldon St, Greenock, PA16 7QG.
Darroch Park, George Rd, Gourock, PA19 1YT.
Port Glasgow Campus, Kilmacolm Rd, PA14 6PP.

Scottish Amateur. ( 19/20).

Claremont @ Ballerup Rec Centre, East Kilbride, G75 0DY.
Goldenhill AFC @ Donald Dewar Sports Gd, 220 Garscadden Rd, G15 8SX.
Inverclyde @ Battery Park 3G, Greenock, PA16 7QG.
Motherwell Thistle @ Ravenscraig 4G, O'Donnell Way, Motherwell, ML1 2TZ.
Rutherglen @ Toryglen, 480 Prospecthill Rd, G42 0BY.
St Convals @ New Linwood 3G, Mossedgel, PA3 3HR.
St Josephs FP @ Scotstoun Sports Centre 4G , 72 Danes Drive, Glasgow, G14 8SX.

Others have 3G's listed as back ups. ie,
Campbeltown Pupils @ Kinloch AWP.
Oban Saints @ Oban High 3G.

Strathclyde Evangelical Churches . (19/20 ) 

Croftfoot Parish @ Toryglen 3G, 480 Prospecthill Rd, Glasgow,G42 0BY.
Motherwell Kings @ Keir Hardie S Centre, Main St, Holytown, ML1 4TP
United Church of Ayr @ Ayr Academy 4G, Beech Grove, KA8 0HN.

Strathclyde Sat Morning AFL. (19/20.)

AS Airdrie @ Alliance Park, Strathclyde Park, Strathclyde Park, Bothwellhaugh, ML1 3RB.
East Dunbartonshire @ New Peasy Park, Adamslie St. Springburn, G21 4DD.
Gairtcairn @ MTC Park, Waverley Drive, Airdrie, ML6 6HB.
Kirkintilloch Thistle @ Merkland Pavillion, Merkland Place, G66 3SN.
Manhattan Blacks @ Ravenswood Astro, Dowanfield Rd, Cumbernauld, G67 1LA.
Shawbridge @ Toryglen 3G, 480 Prospecthill Rd, Glasgow. G42 0BY.
Tynecastle @ Stepford Football Centre, 1514 Edinburgh Rd, Glasgow G33 4NU.
UB Utd @ Stepford Football Centre, 1514 Edinburgh Rd, Glasgow G33 4NU.
Windlaw @ Barlia 3G, Barlia Drive, Glasgow G45 9UD.

Many of the grounds will be non-starters but some may have potential. It may be helpful to signpost those venues that could be developed.

Edited by Pyramidic

22 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

Are any of these AWP grounds suitable for WOSFL that are listed on the NLM Forum:

Stewarton Utd @ Stewarton Sports Centre 3G, Kilwinning Rd, KA3 3

United Church of Ayr @ Ayr Academy 4G, Beech Grove, KA8

Many of the grounds will be non-starters but some may have potential. It may be helpful to signpost those venues that could be developed.

Apart from Townhead Park none of the East or South Ayrshire venues is up to the  standard required, although Annbank and Maybole have both used Cambusdoon for competitive fixtures.  

54 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

Stewarton Utd @ Stewarton Sports Centre 3G, Kilwinning Rd, KA3 3DN.

Central Scottish Amateur. (19/20)

Blantyre RGM @ Bothwellhaugh Park 4G, Strathclyde Park, ML1 3RB.
Cambusnethan Talbot @ Dalziel Park 3G, Hagen Drive, Motherwell, ML1 5RZ.(Sometimes)
Drumchapel Utd PYM @ Donald Dewar Centre 3G, Garsadden Rd, G15 8SX.
Garrowhill Thistle @ Lochend Community High School, Cairnbrook Rd, Easterhouse, G34 0NZ.

Greenock Welfare. (19/20).

Battery Park , Eldon St, Greenock, PA16 7QG.
Darroch Park, George Rd, Gourock, PA19 1YT.
Port Glasgow Campus, Kilmacolm Rd, PA14 6PP.

Scottish Amateur. ( 19/20).

Claremont @ Ballerup Rec Centre, East Kilbride, G75 0DY.
Goldenhill AFC @ Donald Dewar Sports Gd, 220 Garscadden Rd, G15 8SX.
Inverclyde @ Battery Park 3G, Greenock, PA16 7QG.
Motherwell Thistle @ Ravenscraig 4G, O'Donnell Way, Motherwell, ML1 2TZ.
Rutherglen @ Toryglen, 480 Prospecthill Rd, G42 0BY.
St Convals @ New Linwood 3G, Mossedgel, PA3 3HR.
St Josephs FP @ Scotstoun Sports Centre 4G , 72 Danes Drive, Glasgow, G14 8SX.

Others have 3G's listed as back ups. ie,
Campbeltown Pupils @ Kinloch AWP.
Oban Saints @ Oban High 3G.

Strathclyde Evangelical Churches . (19/20 ) 

Croftfoot Parish @ Toryglen 3G, 480 Prospecthill Rd, Glasgow,G42 0BY.
Motherwell Kings @ Keir Hardie S Centre, Main St, Holytown, ML1 4TP
United Church of Ayr @ Ayr Academy 4G, Beech Grove, KA8 0HN.

Strathclyde Sat Morning AFL. (19/20.)

AS Airdrie @ Alliance Park, Strathclyde Park, Strathclyde Park, Bothwellhaugh, ML1 3RB.
East Dunbartonshire @ New Peasy Park, Adamslie St. Springburn, G21 4DD.
Gairtcairn @ MTC Park, Waverley Drive, Airdrie, ML6 6HB.
Kirkintilloch Thistle @ Merkland Pavillion, Merkland Place, G66 3SN.
Manhattan Blacks @ Ravenswood Astro, Dowanfield Rd, Cumbernauld, G67 1LA.
Shawbridge @ Toryglen 3G, 480 Prospecthill Rd, Glasgow. G42 0BY.
Tynecastle @ Stepford Football Centre, 1514 Edinburgh Rd, Glasgow G33 4NU.
UB Utd @ Stepford Football Centre, 1514 Edinburgh Rd, Glasgow G33 4NU.
Windlaw @ Barlia 3G, Barlia Drive, Glasgow G45 9UD.

I've been at quite a lot of them, and at first glance I'd say well over 90% of those listed wouldn't make the grade...most are either schools or municipal 3G cages, neither of which are at all likely to be willing to essentially sign them over for independent development as "proper" grounds - over and above that you can add in the fact that in almost all cases, spectator facilities are completely non-existent...no cover, no terracing, no hard standing, no catering etc....if you're watching a game at one of them, in most cases you'll be standing on the strip of turf between the touchline and the cage and getting out of the way of players taking throwins as the pitch isn't even enclosed by a fence. Should also bear in mind once teams move to the WOS they'll be charging entry fees...it's even less likely that councils or schools would allow what would then be to all intents and purposes a business to operate out of their premises.

There are one or two that might have some scope for development though...the likes of Barlia up in Castlemilk already has a couple of areas of elevated terracing, and its location means that it's enclosed with only a single access point.

Steve B the Groundhopper

Edited by Hillonearth

I've been at quite a lot of them, and at first glance I'd say well over 90% of those listed wouldn't make the grade...most are either schools or municipal 3G cages, neither of which are at all likely to be willing to essentially sign them over for independent development as "proper" grounds - over and above that you can add in the fact that in almost all cases, spectator facilities are completely non-existent...no cover, no terracing, no hard standing, no catering etc....if you're watching a game at one of them, in most cases you'll be standing on the strip of turf between the touchline and the cage and getting out of the way of players taking throwins as the pitch isn't even enclosed by a fence. Should also bear in mind once teams move to the WOS they'll be charging entry fees...it's even less likely that councils or schools would allow what would then be to all intents and purposes a business to operate out of their premises.
There are one or two that might have some scope for development though...the likes of Barlia up in Castlemilk already has a couple of areas of elevated terracing, and its location means that it's enclosed with only a single access point.
DSCF9097.JPG&key=41762eab962e996069e50f492520f686d7567cf5351d61e5d44a4f7806833639

Perfect description of most of the parks in Ayrshire. I can only speak for my club Stewarton United.

We currently play at Stewarton Sports Centre an Astro with a cage. No supporter facilities or catering. No segregation or ability to stop people watching from outside.

We have tried a few times to work with the council to take over Cocklebie Park through an Asset Transfer, however one of the conditions that would be enforced makes it absolutely pointless. Due to the town being at the lower limit of green space (all sold by the council for housing development) we would be unable to fence off any area as it must all remain open to the public at all times.

Therefore we are currently at a crossroads, do we give up and continue to play amateur football with no hope of any progression, or do we now try to raise a massive amount of funds to purchase some ground to improve the facilities for our community while continuing to work with the local boys club, girls club and ladies team. Build something suitable for the WoS League and hopefully grow the club and create a proper pathway that would hopefully try to stop the boys clubs teams all folding (or moving to other clubs) at around U16 level. It’s going to take a lot of money and even more work...but I’m up for the challenge.

20 minutes ago, jimmycouch said:

Perfect description of most of the parks in Ayrshire. I can only speak for my club Stewarton United.

We currently play at Stewarton Sports Centre an Astro with a cage. No supporter facilities or catering. No segregation or ability to stop people watching from outside.

We have tried a few times to work with the council to take over Cocklebie Park through an Asset Transfer, however one of the conditions that would be enforced makes it absolutely pointless. Due to the town being at the lower limit of green space (all sold by the council for housing development) we would be unable to fence off any area as it must all remain open to the public at all times.

Therefore we are currently at a crossroads, do we give up and continue to play amateur football with no hope of any progression, or do we now try to raise a massive amount of funds to purchase some ground to improve the facilities for our community while continuing to work with the local boys club, girls club and ladies team. Build something suitable for the WoS League and hopefully grow the club and create a proper pathway that would hopefully try to stop the boys clubs teams all folding (or moving to other clubs) at around U16 level. It’s going to take a lot of money and even more work...but I’m up for the challenge.

Would it be a possibility to purchase a piece of ground elsewhere in the community or adjoining the community and swapping that for a long lease from the Council over the facilities which you use? That way your club would take on a presumably loss leader facility from the council but also give them valuable open space for the community.

It needn't be usable for sport as it could be just open so people could walk, cycle, take the dog for a walk, etc. Not sure of the legalities involved but it may be worth checking out. It wouldn't have to be in the same location or a playing field as such?

Edited by Dev

Would it be a possibility to purchase a piece of ground elsewhere in the community or adjoining the community and swapping that for a long lease from the Council over the facilities which you use? That way your club would take on a presumably loss leader facility from the council but also give them valuable open space for the community.
It needn't be usable for sport as it could be just open so people could walk, cycle, take the dog for a walk, etc. Not sure of the legalities involved but it may be worth checking out. It wouldn't have to be in the same location or a playing field as such?

That’s a good idea and definitely something we will look at.

The sports centre pitch has no space around it so will always be a cage with no spectator facilities.

But Cocklebie is a poor site at the moment. It will need a lot of money spent to come up to the required standard, and we’re advised by locals that it used to be the town tip....so if we are able to get other land it’s probably better to build what we need there.

6 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Hope my info still up to date! It was a point of discussion when they were getting licenced.

I think it’s just an access path that goes through Coldstream’s park, the Peebles situation or even whatever Thornton Hibs and Inverkeithing have had to negotiate is probably more like your situation of upgrading a public park to get round the criteria. I think Craigroyston have the same situation at St Mark’s with dog walkers being allowed to use the land.

EDIT - Coldstream are the ones with a license though

Edited by Spyro

5 minutes ago, Spyro said:

I think it’s just an access path that goes through Coldstream’s park, the Peebles situation or even whatever Thornton Hibs and Inverkeithing have had to negotiate is probably more like your situation of upgrading a public park to get round the criteria. I think Craigroyston have the same situation at St Mark’s with dog walkers being allowed to use the land.

EDIT - Coldstream are the ones with a license though

Are there not still swings in Coldstream's park? I knock Cocklebie Park from living in Stewarton and used to run round it in the mornings. It has a wee cage but no swings last time I was there.

Are there not still swings in Coldstream's park? I knock Cocklebie Park from living in Stewarton and used to run round it in the mornings. It has a wee cage but no swings last time I was there.

It’s mainly used as a dog toilet at the moment, nobody uses it to play matches. All games are on the Astro.