New clubs in the West of Scotland

‘We should have stayed in the Juniors': Billy Adams on the WoSFL set-up

WoSFL clubs, saying it’s laughable for many to be labelled as “professional”.

Reckoned to be the longest-serving manager at lower league level by some way, Billy has crammed in almost 25 years at the helm of famous old Possil outfit Glasgow Perthshire, currently languishing fourth from bottom of the Conference C pile with just four points yielded up from a mere handful of fixtures. 

His refusal to throw in the towel on a possible restart for his side’s league campaign saw him carrying out maintenance works on Keppoch Park’s playing surface and dressing rooms yesterday afternoon however his labours did not prevent him delivering a withering critique on the Shire’s experiences within the new set-up.

He slammed: “No doubt I’ll be accused of being a dinosaur in some quarters but I make no apologies for being old-school and thinking a lot of clubs like ours should have stayed as Juniors.

“Football at our level is all about close links forged with local communities and joining the WoSFL was never going to do us any favours in that respect not least because it is a further streamlining of the game to its detriment.

“You only have to look at the increasing number of young players being lost to football nowadays through sheer disillusionment from failing to make the grade at Pro-Youth level to realise it’s a problem set to get a whole lot worse unless a place can be found at the table for another level of the game other than amateurs or professional.

“For longer than even I can remember, the Juniors were that go-between and their role in Scottish  football cannot be underestimated when you think of the countless great players to be reared through its ranks including nine of the Lisbon Lions.

“Glasgow Perthshire’s move away was motivated by not wanting to be left behind at the start of last season but we will never forget our roots.”

Billy’s words might be seen to carry more weight in light of recent announcements indicating as many as 12 long-established amateur sides have declared expressions of interest for joining the WoSFL next season.

Said the Shire boss: “Up and coming clubs wanting to play at a higher level is understandable and should be encouraged but not if their ambitions are fuelled by nothing other than delusions of grandeur.

“Having an enclosed stadium instead of a public park in everything but name must be one of the pre-requisites for entry and clubs being classified as a professional when they are not paying out wages to their players should be another no-no.

“We simply cannot at the Shire because our income doesn’t allow it and I know of countless other clubs at Conference level (and above) in the same boat so it’s downright embarrassing when the SFA and other bodies term Tiers 6 and 7 as Professional in the same context as they would other part-timers such as Clyde and Albion Rovers.

“And in the bigger picture, the likes of Auchinleck Talbot, Pollok and Clydebank may have designs on graduating up through the leagues but I don’t believe theirs is a dream shared or hoped for by the vast majority of former Junior clubs.

“The prospect of leading the Shire up to face Elgin City on a Wednesday night doesn’t stir any of my juices or that of our loyal band of supporters but a derby match up against an Ashfield, Petershill or St Rochs certainly would.”

Next week’s planned SFA chaired meeting to discuss a possible restart date for lower league clubs has evoked mixed feelings for seasoned gaffer Adams.

He insisted: “I’d probably prefer it didn’t start up again and everyone’s efforts were channelled towards getting next season underway particularly if it means playing through the traditional close-season months as I’ve always believed summer football was the way forward for Junior clubs.

“One of the main arguments against it was holiday arrangements but Glasgow no longer shuts down for the Fair fortnight as it used to do and players nowadays are just as likely to be flying out to Spain or Portugal in mid-November or February as they would July.

Billy revealed: “You’ll most probably guess from my tone that I wasn’t 100% behind our club’s decision to play out this season and it would be true to say I had severe doubts over taking part in games without fans and the use of dressing rooms.

“Back in the SJFA-run days, I can recall several instances when Shire games were postponed on Health and Safety grounds because there was no hot water for showers yet we find ourselves in the farcical situation now when even cold showers are prohibited by coronavirus protocols and players are forced to change outside in all-weathers and travel home in soaking wet strips, on some occasions by public transport.

“It didn’t sit well with me or our club officials however our players voted to give it a go and Glasgow Perthshire as a club didn’t want to run the risk losing some of them if they moved away and signed elsewhere  in order to keep playing.

“I warned the guys about the potential difficulties likely to be faced, particularly in the winter months, but to be fair, not a single complaint has been uttered  and that speaks volumes about their enthusiasm and the togetherness in our camp.”

He added: “Lockdown restrictions have seen us do nothing whatsoever in the past few months and it was before Christmas when we last played a game so it will be like starting all over again (if a restart is given the thumbs up) and I just hope the powers-that-be show a bit of common sense and allow a few weeks at the very least to get the guys in shape”    

Source: https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19112782.we-stayed-juniors-billy-adams-wosfl-set-up/

Does billy actually understand that nothing really changed and to add that he would have still been classed as professional and offered the option to play if he had stayed junior!!

The move allows clubs to find their level and that was the point of this. I do agree though that clubs should have proper enclosed stadiums but the juniors did allow both Gartcairn and Rossvale to join and gave them time to get their grounds up to order which should be allowed to any clubs wanting to joining the WOSFL should be given too.

His argument about something between professional and amateur is a nonsense as that might of been how it was back in the day but it’s not been seen like that in a longtime.

Clubs should always be part of their community and being part of the WOSFL should not alter that.

Did have to laugh at the old TJ line of Wednesday night in Elgin are we sure it wasn’t him who wrote it!!

"“Up and coming clubs wanting to play at a higher level is understandable and should be encouraged but not if their ambitions are fuelled by nothing other than delusions of grandeur."

Sums up the negative attitudes really. 

Edited by stanley

24 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Does billy actually understand that nothing really changed and to add that he would have still been classed as professional and offered the option to play if he had stayed junior!!

The move allows clubs to find their level and that was the point of this. I do agree though that clubs should have proper enclosed stadiums but the juniors did allow both Gartcairn and Rossvale to join and gave them time to get their grounds up to order which should be allowed to any clubs wanting to joining the WOSFL should be given too.

His argument about something between professional and amateur is a nonsense as that might of been how it was back in the day but it’s not been seen like that in a longtime.

Clubs should always be part of their community and being part of the WOSFL should not alter that.

Did have to laugh at the old TJ line of Wednesday night in Elgin are we sure it wasn’t him who wrote it!!

You know, there are some points in his interview that probably sum up how at least some WOS clubs actually feel. We know at the time the new league was set up there were anything up to 20 clubs that REALLY didn't want to move, but had their hands forced by the West Region's decision to close operations and the realisation they'd have nowhere left to play if they didn't go WOS. There were also a number who seemed to almost sleepwalk into the move, clearly not having a real understanding of what was actually happening going by some of some the statements that came out at the time.

The residual resentment at being almost forced to move is something I hope will fade away gradually, but at the moment there are definitely a cohort of clubs who wish they could turn the clock back...almost without exception however they're directing their disgruntlement towards the new setup rather than the old one which had in some respects been failing them for years.

All the more reason not to choose to import the additional resentment of an additional group of clubs from another area of the country who feel hard done by through feeling railroaded into change they patently didn't want

Edited by Hillonearth

37 minutes ago, stanley said:

"“Up and coming clubs wanting to play at a higher level is understandable and should be encouraged but not if their ambitions are fuelled by nothing other than delusions of grandeur."

Sums up the negative attitudes really. 

Perhaps if we give Billy some slack - we all miss our football and there is a tendency to become a bit more negative than normal in our outlook during Lockdown!

However, surely joining the WoSFL is all about forging stronger links with the community. Perhaps the real issue for Billy and his associates is that Glasgow Perthshire does not have a social club at Keppoch Park, Ashfield Street. This means they have no sustainable income stream and could well be struggling in terms of social contact with the community.

https://nonleaguescotland.org.uk/glasgowperthshire.htm

The old social club some 2 miles away at Springburn Road has been demolished.

I hope that most of the new applicants to the WOSFL have their own social facilities or the prospect of developing a sustainable clubhouse.

1 hour ago, Pyramidic said:

Reckoned to be the longest-serving manager at lower league level by some way, Billy has crammed in almost 25 years at the helm of famous old Possil outfit Glasgow Perthshire, currently languishing fourth from bottom of the Conference C pile with just four points yielded up from a mere handful of fixtures. 

His refusal to throw in the towel on a possible restart for his side’s league campaign saw him carrying out maintenance works on Keppoch Park’s playing surface and dressing rooms yesterday afternoon however his labours did not prevent him delivering a withering critique on the Shire’s experiences within the new set-up.

He slammed: “No doubt I’ll be accused of being a dinosaur in some quarters but I make no apologies for being old-school and thinking a lot of clubs like ours should have stayed as Juniors.

“Football at our level is all about close links forged with local communities and joining the WoSFL was never going to do us any favours in that respect not least because it is a further streamlining of the game to its detriment.

“You only have to look at the increasing number of young players being lost to football nowadays through sheer disillusionment from failing to make the grade at Pro-Youth level to realise it’s a problem set to get a whole lot worse unless a place can be found at the table for another level of the game other than amateurs or professional.

“For longer than even I can remember, the Juniors were that go-between and their role in Scottish  football cannot be underestimated when you think of the countless great players to be reared through its ranks including nine of the Lisbon Lions.

“Glasgow Perthshire’s move away was motivated by not wanting to be left behind at the start of last season but we will never forget our roots.”

Billy’s words might be seen to carry more weight in light of recent announcements indicating as many as 12 long-established amateur sides have declared expressions of interest for joining the WoSFL next season.

Said the Shire boss: “Up and coming clubs wanting to play at a higher level is understandable and should be encouraged but not if their ambitions are fuelled by nothing other than delusions of grandeur.

“Having an enclosed stadium instead of a public park in everything but name must be one of the pre-requisites for entry and clubs being classified as a professional when they are not paying out wages to their players should be another no-no.

“We simply cannot at the Shire because our income doesn’t allow it and I know of countless other clubs at Conference level (and above) in the same boat so it’s downright embarrassing when the SFA and other bodies term Tiers 6 and 7 as Professional in the same context as they would other part-timers such as Clyde and Albion Rovers.

“And in the bigger picture, the likes of Auchinleck Talbot, Pollok and Clydebank may have designs on graduating up through the leagues but I don’t believe theirs is a dream shared or hoped for by the vast majority of former Junior clubs.

“The prospect of leading the Shire up to face Elgin City on a Wednesday night doesn’t stir any of my juices or that of our loyal band of supporters but a derby match up against an Ashfield, Petershill or St Rochs certainly would.”

Next week’s planned SFA chaired meeting to discuss a possible restart date for lower league clubs has evoked mixed feelings for seasoned gaffer Adams.

He insisted: “I’d probably prefer it didn’t start up again and everyone’s efforts were channelled towards getting next season underway particularly if it means playing through the traditional close-season months as I’ve always believed summer football was the way forward for Junior clubs.

“One of the main arguments against it was holiday arrangements but Glasgow no longer shuts down for the Fair fortnight as it used to do and players nowadays are just as likely to be flying out to Spain or Portugal in mid-November or February as they would July.

Billy revealed: “You’ll most probably guess from my tone that I wasn’t 100% behind our club’s decision to play out this season and it would be true to say I had severe doubts over taking part in games without fans and the use of dressing rooms.

“Back in the SJFA-run days, I can recall several instances when Shire games were postponed on Health and Safety grounds because there was no hot water for showers yet we find ourselves in the farcical situation now when even cold showers are prohibited by coronavirus protocols and players are forced to change outside in all-weathers and travel home in soaking wet strips, on some occasions by public transport.

“It didn’t sit well with me or our club officials however our players voted to give it a go and Glasgow Perthshire as a club didn’t want to run the risk losing some of them if they moved away and signed elsewhere  in order to keep playing.

“I warned the guys about the potential difficulties likely to be faced, particularly in the winter months, but to be fair, not a single complaint has been uttered  and that speaks volumes about their enthusiasm and the togetherness in our camp.”

He added: “Lockdown restrictions have seen us do nothing whatsoever in the past few months and it was before Christmas when we last played a game so it will be like starting all over again (if a restart is given the thumbs up) and I just hope the powers-that-be show a bit of common sense and allow a few weeks at the very least to get the guys in shape”    

Source: https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19112782.we-stayed-juniors-billy-adams-wosfl-set-up/

Where do you even begin with that.  All it does is underline the fact that Junior football was long past it's sell by date and many clubs were held back for far too long by attitudes such as this.  The dinosaurs will become extinct eventually.

56 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

All the more reason not to choose to import the additional resentment of an additional group of clubs from another area of the country who feel hard done by through feeling railroaded into change they patently didn't want

Aye, let us deal with them........

You know, there are some points in his interview that probably sum up how at least some WOS clubs actually feel. We know at the time the new league was set up there were anything up to 20 clubs that REALLY didn't want to move, but had their hands forced by the West Region's decision to close operations and the realisation they'd have nowhere left to play if they didn't go WOS. There were also a number who seemed to almost sleepwalk into the move, clearly not having a real understanding of what was actually happening going by some of some the statements that came out at the time.
The residual resentment at being almost forced to move is something I hope will fade away gradually, but at the moment there are definitely a cohort of clubs who wish they could turn the clock back...almost without exception however they're directing their disgruntlement towards the new setup rather than the old one which had in some respects been failing them for years.

Completely agree with most of what you say.

Those clubs could have put their foot down and said no we are going to stay. John Fyfe would have still been involved as he moved to the SJFA, I’m pretty sure Felix McKenna would have stayed given some of his comments you could have them recruited a management committee from the remaining clubs. I think they chose the east option but I firmly believe in the long term it will have been the right one.

Year 1 has been as mess due to the pandemic but once the league have settled down after a year of the conferences then most if not all the clubs will be where where they previously were. The delusion of grandeur comment is what got me and we know the clubs this is aimed at. It’s poor form for a manager who has been involved as long as he has in the game.

Clubs want to be successful and will go about it in different ways, some will get money from investors and some will do it through fund raising no 1 way is wrong. I firmly believe that the league, which is already attracting more interest than the previous equivalent in the juniors, will go from strength to strength and will offer a pathway for clubs to find their level in the game and to move up if they find success rather than creating a glass ceiling.

The juniors had its day and could have been in the position that the leagues find themselves now but those at the top didn’t want it and ridiculed and talked down to people who wanted a successful pyramid, myself included. I wanted it to be as part of the juniors but that wasn’t to be.

3 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Completely agree with most of what you say.

Those clubs could have put their foot down and said no we are going to stay. John Fyfe would have still been involved as he moved to the SJFA, I’m pretty sure Felix McKenna would have stayed given some of his comments you could have them recruited a management committee from the remaining clubs. I think they chose the east option but I firmly believe in the long term it will have been the right one.

Year 1 has been as mess due to the pandemic but once the league have settled down after a year of the conferences then most if not all the clubs will be where where they previously were. The delusion of grandeur comment is what got me and we know the clubs this is aimed at. It’s poor form for a manager who has been involved as long as he has in the game.

Clubs want to be successful and will go about it in different ways, some will get money from investors and some will do it through fund raising no 1 way is wrong. I firmly believe that the league, which is already attracting more interest than the previous equivalent in the juniors, will go from strength to strength and will offer a pathway for clubs to find their level in the game and to move up if they find success rather than creating a glass ceiling.

The juniors had its day and could have been in the position that the leagues find themselves now but those at the top didn’t want it and ridiculed and talked down to people who wanted a successful pyramid, myself included. I wanted it to be as part of the juniors but that wasn’t to be.

The "delusion of grandeur" comment was repeated last week by the Whitburn committee guy on Facebook when commenting on clubs initial moves to the EoS.   Same auld Junior mentality.

36 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

The "delusion of grandeur" comment was repeated last week by the Whitburn committee guy on Facebook when commenting on clubs initial moves to the EoS.   Same auld Junior mentality.

Did it not start from that horrendous Gordon Parks column at the start of last year?

It seems to be in the SJFA handbook of delusion along with some sort of comment about more travel (Gala/Coldstream every week or Elgin on a weekday night) and some jibberish about losing their connection with the community, which a lot of these clubs haven’t  bothered about for the last 20 years anyway

Let's be honest some people have a real problem getting their head around the concept of conferences, both in the east and west. Would've been much easier if the West Region had moved with the league structure intact so that nothing much changed, but that ship sailed. 

3 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

But who can say its fueled by resentment if its one person or two persons in the committee feeling that way. Doesn't mean the rest of the committee are  and over time these committees will change. Are you really thinking of stopping a few clubs to come to the WOSFL because of this kind of thinking when they could possibly enhance the WOSFL, especially, remember once some of the WOSFL get licensed and move out from the WOSFL
I know Factually, Harthill want in the WOSFL due to the standard of the WOSFL and their close proximity to quite a few teams in the WOSFL, nothing to do with resentment of the EOSFL clubs

5 hours ago, Pyramidic said:

I have no doubt this guy is in the right place lol

Potential young fans, will read that and think, 'feck that for a game of soldiers' and not even entertains going to see them or be involved and once the older fans become older there wont be many people left and for them to be in conference C near the bottom looks like one of the top positions they will ever have f they continue with that attitude.

6 hours ago, Pyramidic said:

Absolute word salad. Misty eyed unintelligible pish. 

11 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

...All the more reason not to choose to import the additional resentment of an additional group of clubs from another area of the country who feel hard done by through feeling railroaded into change they patently didn't want

But on the flip side a potential pool of votes for said clubs if the remaining SJFA members stick together in a make junior fitba great again sort of way. What gets posted on P&B by a small self-selecting group of posters often tends to be out of tune with how votes tend to wind up going hence why the pyramid debate dragged on and on...

The West Lothian clubs will enter the pyramid one way or the other, so they have a viable plan B. What I think would be most concerning in terms of where the WoS is heading would be if applications from ambitious amateur/youth clubs get rejected because of the delusions of grandeur type sentiments.

With all due respect to Glasgow Perthshire, clubs like Rossvale and Gartcairn are doing a lot to foster participation in the sport at the youth level in their communities and should not have a glass ceiling placed on their ambitions by clubs that are trundling along at this level with a minimal fanbase largely due to having a ground that was built in a very different era.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

13 hours ago, Pyramidic said:

“Football at our level is all about close links forged with local communities

At a rough guess, less than 5% of the local community ever go to games. Maybe another 5% show some interest. The other 90% wouldn't care if the club disappeared.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Whether you agree with him or not, the lad loves his club and it seems he puts in a shift regularly on their behalf. He's entitled to his opinion.

I doubt he'd be saying it if a season had been played. He has nothing to use in comparison to the old set up yet. Hopefully, in a year's time he'll be too busy training, picking the team and watching opposition. He might get a minute to realise there isn't much difference and it's possibly a bit better.

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I doubt he'd be saying it if a season had been played. He has nothing to use in comparison to the old set up yet. Hopefully, in a year's time he'll be too busy training, picking the team and watching opposition. He might get a minute to realise there isn't much difference and it's possibly a bit better.

Aye you're right. The lad is understandably very frustrated with how things are. It's too easy to trample all over the boys opinion when viewed from the outside.