New clubs in the West of Scotland

I think wosfl will end up the same way. A few clubs will move up and the rest will just hang about. Their is a lot more pro activity in the east. Smaller clubs have seen with hard work could get their. That's why you have crossgates improving facilities and improving their club that was going  nowhere in the juniors

Why do you think it will end up like the juniors in the west? To judge things in year 1, which is taking place during a global pandemic is wrong. I know of a number of clubs up and down the leagues who are looking to improve their facilities and I have no doubt that when others see for themselves the improvements will consider what they can do.

The east clubs have done well getting to the position that they are in but the west clubs are 2 years behind. If things are progressing in 2 years then criticism should be directed at the clubs no doubt.

Has SportScotland also halted funding?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sport Scotland’s funding taking a major hit. The main reason for this will be the knock on effect of the delays in criminal trials which can lead to confiscation orders (they can be done without criminal trials/convictions but still need to go through court). This will see less money heading to the crown to be distributed through cash back for communities sadly.

3 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Why do you think it will end up like the juniors in the west? To judge things in year 1, which is taking place during a global pandemic is wrong. I know of a number of clubs up and down the leagues who are looking to improve their facilities and I have no doubt that when others see for themselves the improvements will consider what they can do.

The east clubs have done well getting to the position that they are in but the west clubs are 2 years behind. If things are progressing in 2 years then criticism should be directed at the clubs no doubt.

By that mean not wanting to progress not go to wall

22 hours ago, stanley said:

Can anyone ask the Whitburn committee member if they'll be changing their name to Whitburn Senior if they join the WoS?

If this is tongue in cheek then lolol, I'm giggling along with you but if it was serious, I don't think they need to change their name if they don't want too.
If the vast majority of committee people don't want to change it then they wont, if they decide to ask their fans, they need to give the pros and cons if any, objectively.
In reality they can keep Whitburn Juniors but in 10, 20, 30 years, new committee people might find this not with the times and bin it, that for the future to decide.

I was an advocate to bin the junior name if your a senior time but really, they should keep it if they want as part of their heritage and history

17 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

By that mean not wanting to progress not go to wall

I understand what your saying but there will be teams who will want to progress, some wont. There will be teams who come into a bit of money in the future or funding and decide to progress.  The ones who do progress can be looked at in a what it might of been the team who didn't progress.  There is no more glass ceiling, so any team has the potential to move out from the WOSFL now into the Lowland League and beyond which I believe in the future you will see WOSFL teams in the Lowland and even in the 2nd or 1st divisions

7 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

If this is tongue in cheek then lolol, I'm giggling along with you but if it was serious, I don't think they need to change their name if they don't want too.
If the vast majority of committee people don't want to change it then they wont, if they decide to ask their fans, they need to give the pros and cons if any, objectively.
In reality they can keep Whitburn Juniors but in 10, 20, 30 years, new committee people might find this not with the times and bin it, that for the future to decide.

I was an advocate to bin the junior name if your a senior time but really, they should keep it if they want as part of their heritage and history

Yes, it was very much tongue in cheek. It's the idea that they think the former East juniors clubs destroyed the grade by leaving for the senior EoS league yet their alternative plan now is to move to the senior WoS league. The West juniors moved to a senior league; the only difference being that they all moved at once (other than Dunipace who moved earlier). Whatever happens, if they move then they will be leaving a junior league for a senior league just like Kelty etc. did.

I don't think they need to change the name. Some teams will drop the junior aspect, some will keep it for historical reasons. 

Edited by stanley

3 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sport Scotland’s funding taking a major hit. The main reason for this will be the knock on effect of the delays in criminal trials which can lead to confiscation orders (they can be done without criminal trials/convictions but still need to go through court). This will see less money heading to the crown to be distributed through cash back for communities sadly.

Girvan have just won financial assistance for their new floodlights - so just in time!

7 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

I think wosfl will end up the same way. A few clubs will move up and the rest will just hang about. Their is a lot more pro activity in the east. Smaller clubs have seen with hard work could get their. That's why you have crossgates improving facilities and improving their club that was going  nowhere in the juniors

I think it's safe to say that the pyramid will be embraced in the West in a similar manner as the East. You can look at the variety of clubs that already signed up for the Development League.

My point was except a few who would progress into lowland league the rest would stay as they are similar to a lot of sosfl that just want to stay as they are.

Thanks for clarifying, your right but I do think clubs will look to improve facilities for a number of reasons including the facilities will need updating etc. Clubs will naturally find their levels and the whole point of the pyramid is to allow that.

2 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Thanks for clarifying, your right but I do think clubs will look to improve facilities for a number of reasons including the facilities will need updating etc. Clubs will naturally find their levels and the whole point of the pyramid is to allow that.

I'm not sure a lot of the west clubs will have the stomach for it compared to the east. Hope I'm wrong

5 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

I'm not sure a lot of the west clubs will have the stomach for it compared to the east. Hope I'm wrong

This year in terms of public applications you've got the following to keep an eye on: Auchinleck Talbot, Clydebank, Cumnock, Darvel, Irvine Meadow, and Petershill. There's the potential for surprises past that with Kilwinning Rangers and  Rutherglen Glencairn saying this year is too early.

That's at least 10/67 with Girvan and Glasgow University that are intending to be licenced.

There's plenty of clubs not named above that have the same ability to get licenced and are going to have to just to keep up with the Joneses. Due to having more teams I wouldn't be surprised to see the WoSFL end up with more SFA members than the EoSFL in the next couple of years.

This year in terms of public applications you've got the following to keep an eye on: Auchinleck Talbot, Clydebank, Cumnock, Darvel, Irvine Meadow, and Petershill. There's the potential for surprises past that with Kilwinning Rangers and  Rutherglen Glencairn saying this year is too early.
That's at least 10/67 with Girvan and Glasgow University that are intending to be licenced.
There's plenty of clubs not named above that have the same ability to get licenced and are going to have to just to keep up with the Joneses. Due to having more teams I wouldn't be surprised to see the WoSFL end up with more SFA members than the EoSFL in the next couple of years.

100% this.

Think that most clubs will eventually find their level, when things return to some sort of normality. Things are difficult when there's no fan income or sponsors money etc, but I believe clubs will look to progress as far as possible - the majority of grounds will look so much better in years to come, and hopefully there's a place somewhere for clubs who just can't afford to move on. Give the pyramid 5-10 years to settle down eh ?

‘We should have stayed in the Juniors': Billy Adams on the WoSFL set-up

WoSFL clubs, saying it’s laughable for many to be labelled as “professional”.

Reckoned to be the longest-serving manager at lower league level by some way, Billy has crammed in almost 25 years at the helm of famous old Possil outfit Glasgow Perthshire, currently languishing fourth from bottom of the Conference C pile with just four points yielded up from a mere handful of fixtures. 

His refusal to throw in the towel on a possible restart for his side’s league campaign saw him carrying out maintenance works on Keppoch Park’s playing surface and dressing rooms yesterday afternoon however his labours did not prevent him delivering a withering critique on the Shire’s experiences within the new set-up.

He slammed: “No doubt I’ll be accused of being a dinosaur in some quarters but I make no apologies for being old-school and thinking a lot of clubs like ours should have stayed as Juniors.

“Football at our level is all about close links forged with local communities and joining the WoSFL was never going to do us any favours in that respect not least because it is a further streamlining of the game to its detriment.

“You only have to look at the increasing number of young players being lost to football nowadays through sheer disillusionment from failing to make the grade at Pro-Youth level to realise it’s a problem set to get a whole lot worse unless a place can be found at the table for another level of the game other than amateurs or professional.

“For longer than even I can remember, the Juniors were that go-between and their role in Scottish  football cannot be underestimated when you think of the countless great players to be reared through its ranks including nine of the Lisbon Lions.

“Glasgow Perthshire’s move away was motivated by not wanting to be left behind at the start of last season but we will never forget our roots.”

Billy’s words might be seen to carry more weight in light of recent announcements indicating as many as 12 long-established amateur sides have declared expressions of interest for joining the WoSFL next season.

Said the Shire boss: “Up and coming clubs wanting to play at a higher level is understandable and should be encouraged but not if their ambitions are fuelled by nothing other than delusions of grandeur.

“Having an enclosed stadium instead of a public park in everything but name must be one of the pre-requisites for entry and clubs being classified as a professional when they are not paying out wages to their players should be another no-no.

“We simply cannot at the Shire because our income doesn’t allow it and I know of countless other clubs at Conference level (and above) in the same boat so it’s downright embarrassing when the SFA and other bodies term Tiers 6 and 7 as Professional in the same context as they would other part-timers such as Clyde and Albion Rovers.

“And in the bigger picture, the likes of Auchinleck Talbot, Pollok and Clydebank may have designs on graduating up through the leagues but I don’t believe theirs is a dream shared or hoped for by the vast majority of former Junior clubs.

“The prospect of leading the Shire up to face Elgin City on a Wednesday night doesn’t stir any of my juices or that of our loyal band of supporters but a derby match up against an Ashfield, Petershill or St Rochs certainly would.”

Next week’s planned SFA chaired meeting to discuss a possible restart date for lower league clubs has evoked mixed feelings for seasoned gaffer Adams.

He insisted: “I’d probably prefer it didn’t start up again and everyone’s efforts were channelled towards getting next season underway particularly if it means playing through the traditional close-season months as I’ve always believed summer football was the way forward for Junior clubs.

“One of the main arguments against it was holiday arrangements but Glasgow no longer shuts down for the Fair fortnight as it used to do and players nowadays are just as likely to be flying out to Spain or Portugal in mid-November or February as they would July.

Billy revealed: “You’ll most probably guess from my tone that I wasn’t 100% behind our club’s decision to play out this season and it would be true to say I had severe doubts over taking part in games without fans and the use of dressing rooms.

“Back in the SJFA-run days, I can recall several instances when Shire games were postponed on Health and Safety grounds because there was no hot water for showers yet we find ourselves in the farcical situation now when even cold showers are prohibited by coronavirus protocols and players are forced to change outside in all-weathers and travel home in soaking wet strips, on some occasions by public transport.

“It didn’t sit well with me or our club officials however our players voted to give it a go and Glasgow Perthshire as a club didn’t want to run the risk losing some of them if they moved away and signed elsewhere  in order to keep playing.

“I warned the guys about the potential difficulties likely to be faced, particularly in the winter months, but to be fair, not a single complaint has been uttered  and that speaks volumes about their enthusiasm and the togetherness in our camp.”

He added: “Lockdown restrictions have seen us do nothing whatsoever in the past few months and it was before Christmas when we last played a game so it will be like starting all over again (if a restart is given the thumbs up) and I just hope the powers-that-be show a bit of common sense and allow a few weeks at the very least to get the guys in shape”    

Source: https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19112782.we-stayed-juniors-billy-adams-wosfl-set-up/

5 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

‘We should have stayed in the Juniors': Billy Adams on the WoSFL set-up

WoSFL clubs, saying it’s laughable for many to be labelled as “professional”.

Reckoned to be the longest-serving manager at lower league level by some way, Billy has crammed in almost 25 years at the helm of famous old Possil outfit Glasgow Perthshire, currently languishing fourth from bottom of the Conference C pile with just four points yielded up from a mere handful of fixtures. 

His refusal to throw in the towel on a possible restart for his side’s league campaign saw him carrying out maintenance works on Keppoch Park’s playing surface and dressing rooms yesterday afternoon however his labours did not prevent him delivering a withering critique on the Shire’s experiences within the new set-up.

He slammed: “No doubt I’ll be accused of being a dinosaur in some quarters but I make no apologies for being old-school and thinking a lot of clubs like ours should have stayed as Juniors.

“Football at our level is all about close links forged with local communities and joining the WoSFL was never going to do us any favours in that respect not least because it is a further streamlining of the game to its detriment.

“You only have to look at the increasing number of young players being lost to football nowadays through sheer disillusionment from failing to make the grade at Pro-Youth level to realise it’s a problem set to get a whole lot worse unless a place can be found at the table for another level of the game other than amateurs or professional.

“For longer than even I can remember, the Juniors were that go-between and their role in Scottish  football cannot be underestimated when you think of the countless great players to be reared through its ranks including nine of the Lisbon Lions.

“Glasgow Perthshire’s move away was motivated by not wanting to be left behind at the start of last season but we will never forget our roots.”

Billy’s words might be seen to carry more weight in light of recent announcements indicating as many as 12 long-established amateur sides have declared expressions of interest for joining the WoSFL next season.

Said the Shire boss: “Up and coming clubs wanting to play at a higher level is understandable and should be encouraged but not if their ambitions are fuelled by nothing other than delusions of grandeur.

“Having an enclosed stadium instead of a public park in everything but name must be one of the pre-requisites for entry and clubs being classified as a professional when they are not paying out wages to their players should be another no-no.

“We simply cannot at the Shire because our income doesn’t allow it and I know of countless other clubs at Conference level (and above) in the same boat so it’s downright embarrassing when the SFA and other bodies term Tiers 6 and 7 as Professional in the same context as they would other part-timers such as Clyde and Albion Rovers.

“And in the bigger picture, the likes of Auchinleck Talbot, Pollok and Clydebank may have designs on graduating up through the leagues but I don’t believe theirs is a dream shared or hoped for by the vast majority of former Junior clubs.

“The prospect of leading the Shire up to face Elgin City on a Wednesday night doesn’t stir any of my juices or that of our loyal band of supporters but a derby match up against an Ashfield, Petershill or St Rochs certainly would.”

Next week’s planned SFA chaired meeting to discuss a possible restart date for lower league clubs has evoked mixed feelings for seasoned gaffer Adams.

He insisted: “I’d probably prefer it didn’t start up again and everyone’s efforts were channelled towards getting next season underway particularly if it means playing through the traditional close-season months as I’ve always believed summer football was the way forward for Junior clubs.

“One of the main arguments against it was holiday arrangements but Glasgow no longer shuts down for the Fair fortnight as it used to do and players nowadays are just as likely to be flying out to Spain or Portugal in mid-November or February as they would July.

Billy revealed: “You’ll most probably guess from my tone that I wasn’t 100% behind our club’s decision to play out this season and it would be true to say I had severe doubts over taking part in games without fans and the use of dressing rooms.

“Back in the SJFA-run days, I can recall several instances when Shire games were postponed on Health and Safety grounds because there was no hot water for showers yet we find ourselves in the farcical situation now when even cold showers are prohibited by coronavirus protocols and players are forced to change outside in all-weathers and travel home in soaking wet strips, on some occasions by public transport.

“It didn’t sit well with me or our club officials however our players voted to give it a go and Glasgow Perthshire as a club didn’t want to run the risk losing some of them if they moved away and signed elsewhere  in order to keep playing.

“I warned the guys about the potential difficulties likely to be faced, particularly in the winter months, but to be fair, not a single complaint has been uttered  and that speaks volumes about their enthusiasm and the togetherness in our camp.”

He added: “Lockdown restrictions have seen us do nothing whatsoever in the past few months and it was before Christmas when we last played a game so it will be like starting all over again (if a restart is given the thumbs up) and I just hope the powers-that-be show a bit of common sense and allow a few weeks at the very least to get the guys in shape”    

Source: https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19112782.we-stayed-juniors-billy-adams-wosfl-set-up/

He says it himself he is a dinosaur. Lisbon lions something from 55 years ago is a reason to stay junior. I dont see how not being junior stops u having links. I'm intrigued to know who's went to elgin on a Wednesday night 

25 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

He says it himself he is a dinosaur. Lisbon lions something from 55 years ago is a reason to stay junior. I dont see how not being junior stops u having links. I'm intrigued to know who's went to elgin on a Wednesday night 

It's quite something to be that self-aware to know he'll be seen as a dinosaur and then spout some of that nonsense.

It's a bit like when someone goes "I'm not racist, but..."