New clubs in the West of Scotland

18 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Stoneyburn not in the mix as well? Know the area well and agree that travel considerations are unlikely to be what gets you knocked back because there's no obvious reason on distance to Glasgow or Edinburgh why these towns would be viewed as east rather than west. What I was suggesting was that it boils down more to traditions revolving around counties for a lot of people and that's why there's so much of a kneejerk response that you should be EoS from some people. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Yeah I get what your saying about traditions but that's in the past.

We have to use the following.
First and foremost:  Is there a boundary that makes any of these clubs fall into said boundary that makes them have to sign up to EOS or WOS because that boundary is in the associations catchment area.
If not, then these clubs who are in the middle are in their right to apply and join a set up which they see as beneficial to their future, its not about traditions, this is about each individual club and their progression and the right area, (right area meaning the correct one, definition still out there to be decided if no boundary)

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

On 20/02/2021 at 15:23, GNU_Linux said:

In case you wanted an insight as to why one ERJFA clubs might be looking west. This is someone on the Whitburn committee.

image.png

Ah, another one giving it a load of “the Armadale” garbage. 

What a pathetic, petty snivelling excuse that is in that statement.

Are these committee members actually that thick that they fail to realise that they only have themselves to blame for dilly-dallying, sat with their thumb in their arses when they could’ve moved at the same time as the majority?

Are these committee members too thick to realise that the WOSFL will in the exact same way have “destroyed what I have loved”, except it’s in the West? 

That committee member - What a totally thick embarrassment to their club! 😄

18 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

By the middle of February there were already supposed to be 14 applicants. Conferences are already at 16-16-15 so the 3 division structure has to get ripped up if it was just that 14 that get in.

If there's enough for a Division of new applicants I can understand the merit in it. The clubs that signed up for the 2020-21 WoSFL thought they were getting an all in structure allowing for everyone to find their level. Only for the Premier to be created.

Now having tried to muddle through the complexities of COVID another bunch of clubs that had the chance to sign up for 2020-21 come along and take up the same space as them.

It was 14 expressions of interest rather than applications, as yet. Some may apply this time and others may be enquiring in order to prepare applications for the following season(s).

It's good to see the interest generated by the WoS. Let's hope there a good number who get in this time although, in my view, for new clubs West is West and East should be East !

14 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Yeah I get what your saying about traditions but that's in the past.

We have to use the following.
First and foremost:  Is there a boundary that makes any of these clubs fall into said boundary that makes them have to sign up to EOS or WOS because that boundary is in the associations catchment area.
If not, then these clubs who are in the middle are in their right to apply and join a set up which they see as beneficial to their future, its not about traditions, this is about each individual club and their progression and the right area, (right area meaning the correct one, definition still out there to be decided if no boundary)

.... the clubs already in membership decide who gets in and who doesn't as it's their league. No-one has a "right" to force their way into any league e.g. Tier 5 into the SPFL2.

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

Ah, another one giving it a load of “the Armadale” garbage. 

What a pathetic, petty snivelling excuse that is in that statement.

Are these committee members actually that thick that they fail to realise that they only have themselves to blame for dilly-dallying, sat with their thumb in their arses when they could’ve moved at the same time as the majority?

Are these committee members too thick to realise that the WOSFL will in the exact same way have “destroyed what I have loved”, except it’s in the West? 

That committee member - What a totally thick embarrassment to their club! 😄

I'll be honest, with that general stance they're not exactly selling themselves well.

I'm all for new entrants to the WOS - the more the merrier - but if your reasons for applying seemingly consist of being in a huff with the clubs you previously played against, coupled with your not wanting to have to eat humble pie by joining up with them again after being four years late to the party solely thanks to your own inertia, then it isn't a fantastic look.

Ayrshire clubs moaning about extra travel is what sunk the "superduper league" that would have combined the top east and west region clubs into a division similar in geographical scope to the Lowland League. That in turn was what prompted Kelty to join the pyramid and set off the chain of events that led to the formation of the WoS, but this time around it will revolve around a simple majority rather than building a clear consensus, so not sure that's what will sink it. There are more former central region clubs than Ayrshire ones and for most of them Whitburn will be closer and easier to get to than Cumnock. Think the argument that West Lothian is traditionally east and any town clearly over the county boundary (i.e. I am not talking about Harthill) doesn't belong in a league with West in its title is more likely to resonate.

Oh I know. I was in the room and to be fair it wasn’t all Ayrshire clubs some were very open to it but they were in the minority but for some it was down to travelling for fans. I always felt that the SJFA missed a trick in that they should have spoken to the premier clubs before hand to try and assuage the fears of those clubs. I and the club were for it and thought it was a really good idea. The fellow ‘central’ clubs in the room were mostly in agreement but there was one who was against.

I am coming round to the suggestion that an exception can be made for Harthill due to the meters involved in being over the boundary.

With their being a clear criteria for entry, i'm not too sure they can get away with turning down clubs that meet those requirements. With the pyramid leagues being the only access point to SFA Licencing and increased grants and funding. There's the potential of a disgruntled applicant that meets all the requirements chasing things up with a higher authority.

Of course, each league and it's members decide what clubs can or can't become members, nobody else. The SFA aren't going to force clubs onto leagues, particularly ones who don't come from the traditionally accepted areas covered by that league.

As an interesting aside re grant funding, the Scottish Football Partnership has not received any funding from the SFA for the last 3 years. They'll struggle to continue providing grants to many areas of the game.

Armadale,Whitburn,Bathgate, Fauldhouse  are situated in Central Scotland 2 to 5 miles from Harthill 
Armadale, Whitburn, Bathgate and Fauldhouse are situated in West Lothian. The Lothians are east in football terms as you know.

50 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I'll be honest, with that general stance they're not exactly selling themselves well.

I'm all for new entrants to the WOS - the more the merrier - but if your reasons for applying seemingly consist of being in a huff with the clubs you previously played against, coupled with your not wanting to have to eat humble pie by joining up with them again after being four years late to the party solely thanks to your own inertia, then it isn't a fantastic look.

100% mate, it’s nothing more than petted lip, pants pished, toys oot the pram patter. 

3 hours ago, Vollyman said:

Armadale,Whitburn,Bathgate, Fauldhouse  are situated in Central Scotland 2 to 5 miles from Harthill 

1 hour ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

You have to draw a line somewhere these places are east. Central scotland is Falkirk and stirling

Correct, and going by Volleyman’s mileage in the previous post, three of those four teams mentioned above are “2-5 miles” from the Falkirk, Stirlingshire county line.

Not to mention the now much laboured point about being in West Lothian where Linlithgow, Broxburn and Blackburn are playing in the EOS.

3 hours ago, Dev said:

.... the clubs already in membership decide who gets in and who doesn't as it's their league. No-one has a "right" to force their way into any league e.g. Tier 5 into the SPFL2.

Agreed, when I was giving an example I was also meaning

Team A, fits all criteria to join the WOSFL, and is in the heart of, say Glasgow. The club scrupulously clean, so nothing of any bad running's can be found. But is not voted in, why because many clubs know this club is run better than theirs, more fans and has more money, better players.  The club is voted out but then complains to the appropriate body, would this be the SFA and state their case to be included as they fit every criteria but feel they have been blackballed due to personal jealous of their team and there is no other reason not to be included

The West Lothian clubs appear to want to join the West of Scotland League but Vollyman used Central Scotland to try to justify that, but it isn't the Central Scotland League. If it was then the Ayrshire clubs wouldn't be in it would they! and it would include many clubs which are already in the EoS.

The sooner Harthill and the other West Lothian clubs decide to move on with their lives and bury their grievances the better for them. This whole thing is holding them back. Better to start rebuilding relationships in the East.

2 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Agreed, when I was giving an example I was also meaning

Team A, fits all criteria to join the WOSFL, and is in the heart of, say Glasgow. The club scrupulously clean, so nothing of any bad running's can be found. But is not voted in, why because many clubs know this club is run better than theirs, more fans and has more money, better players.  The club is voted out but then complains to the appropriate body, would this be the SFA and state their case to be included as they fit every criteria but feel they have been blackballed due to personal jealous of their team and there is no other reason not to be included

I sympathise but each league is owned and controlled by the member clubs, as was seen in the Junior Leagues. Sadly, bad decisions only make things worse and, eventually, the leagues get weaker or are finished.  Let's hope the lessons have been learned so good clubs aren't rejected when they are in a League's area. The implication is that it means boundaries need to be fixed to Pyramid Leagues below Tier 5, As a priority.

12 hours ago, Dev said:

I sympathise but each league is owned and controlled by the member clubs, as was seen in the Junior Leagues. Sadly, bad decisions only make things worse and, eventually, the leagues get weaker or are finished.  Let's hope the lessons have been learned so good clubs aren't rejected when they are in a League's area. The implication is that it means boundaries need to be fixed to Pyramid Leagues below Tier 5, As a priority.

I think wosfl will end up the same way. A few clubs will move up and the rest will just hang about. Their is a lot more pro activity in the east. Smaller clubs have seen with hard work could get their. That's why you have crossgates improving facilities and improving their club that was going  nowhere in the juniors

15 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Of course, each league and it's members decide what clubs can or can't become members, nobody else. The SFA aren't going to force clubs onto leagues, particularly ones who don't come from the traditionally accepted areas covered by that league.

As an interesting aside re grant funding, the Scottish Football Partnership has not received any funding from the SFA for the last 3 years. They'll struggle to continue providing grants to many areas of the game.

Has SportScotland also halted funding?