New clubs in the West of Scotland

8 hours ago, Dev said:

Do any decent amateur clubs ground-share with any WoS clubs already? Guessing they would be in a good position to move up, if there are any with such ambitions. Goldenhill at Drumchapel United?

If anyone's looking for a day trip then Oban Saints can't be far off from being a suitable ground etc. Strathaven Dynamo share with their local rugby club and have planning for good facilities (already built?). 

Any more speculation?

Saints are nowhere near suitable unless they permanently played out of Mossfield Stadium - it's a rare day that they are there. Their usual pitch at Glencruitten has zero facilities but would love to see it enclosed etc.

Off the top of my head iirc Milngavie Wanderers & Viewfield Rovers have enclosed grounds. Unsure if the latter would be in a position to step up as they moved down from the Caledonian Amateur League to the Strathclyde Saturday Morning Amateur League.

Amateur teams have utilised the old Glenboig Juniors ground at Carrick Park but no idea what nick it's in.

Giffnock SC have their own ground at Drumbrek that would meet the criteria (I think). Do Milngavie Wanderers have changing rooms inside the ground? I was up there a few years ago to watch our then 21s in a Scottish Cup tie and it’s a decent wee ground that would be a good addition.

Top youth clubs who want to complete their development pathway are also prime suspects on this (e.g. St Cadoc's, BSC Glasgow, Cumbernauld Colts, Gartcairn, Rossvale and Bonnyton in recent years). West Lothian junior clubs (certainly some strong rumours circulating where Harthill Royal are concerned) may also be a factor.

platinum-clubs-web.jpg?width=1000&height

Top youth clubs who want to complete their development pathway are also prime suspects on this (e.g. St Cadoc's, BSC Glasgow, Cumbernauld Colts, Gartcairn, Rossvale and Bonnyton in recent years). West Lothian junior clubs (certainly some strong rumours circulating where Harthill Royal are concerned) may also be a factor.
platinum-clubs-web.jpg?width=1000%26height=1000&key=a06f88fd97dd1e798ad46b41ee0812e1eb84edd9aa20521e6803856984e60409

There aren’t many in the regions that cover the west that either have their own enclosed grounds (they could groundshare) or are in an existing relationship with clubs (Pollok and Pollok Soccer Academy for example). I wonder if new clubs are more likely to come from the amateur ranks who may see the opportunity to work with a local authority and get a local Astro up to a standard where a licence could be achieved with all that brings (similar to what Drumchapel are trying to do and Bankies/Yorker have done)

Your point also got me thinking of how many players have come through at those clubs? I was thinking about Rossvale in particular there doesn’t seem to have been that many come through into their first team to be regulars. Not a criticism just was wondering out of interest.

That’s the one. It looks like the academy pitches. I’d have thought they were council property or the likes.

This is correct. We will be applying to join the WOSFL for the coming season. We have been talking to the league since around October last year and had a very good meeting with Kilwinning Rangers chairman Colin Boyd who got in touch on behalf of the league. Colin was a massive help and everything was positive from that.

We are now working to make sure our new ground at St Matthews Academy in Saltcoats will be ready for the new season.

As well as the first team looking to join the WOSFL we will have our under 20s looking to join the Development league and potentially keeping an amateur team and a new under 19s team as well.

Exciting times for the club.

6 minutes ago, Sean Kenney said:

This is correct. We will be applying to join the WOSFL for the coming season. We have been talking to the league since around October last year and had a very good meeting with Kilwinning Rangers chairman Colin Boyd who got in touch on behalf of the league. Colin was a massive help and everything was positive from that.

We are now working to make sure our new ground at St Matthews Academy in Saltcoats will be ready for the new season.

As well as the first team looking to join the WOSFL we will have our under 20s looking to join the Development league and potentially keeping an amateur team and a new under 19s team as well.

Exciting times for the club.

Well done to all at the club. All the best in your venture.

With the possibility of amateurs making the step up to the WOSFL, what are the minimum requirements for grounds ? as I'm guessing that the ammies use council pitches mainly, which probably can't be improved a great deal , does that mean the majority are ground sharing ?

I can’t speak for any other team obviously but can say we’re speaking to the council about a similar agreement to what the other WOSFL teams have with regards to a long term lease and then doing the work that needs done. To their credit they have been a great help so far.

10 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

There aren’t many in the regions that cover the west that either have their own enclosed grounds (they could groundshare) or are in an existing relationship with clubs (Pollok and Pollok Soccer Academy for example). I wonder if new clubs are more likely to come from the amateur ranks who may see the opportunity to work with a local authority and get a local Astro up to a standard where a licence could be achieved with all that brings (similar to what Drumchapel are trying to do and Bankies/Yorker have done)

Your point also got me thinking of how many players have come through at those clubs? I was thinking about Rossvale in particular there doesn’t seem to have been that many come through into their first team to be regulars. Not a criticism just was wondering out of interest.

3 players I know of from the Rossvale academy and 1 from Pollok Academy all holding down a first team place.
Quite a few boys from Pollok academy doing well else where after featuring for the first team or leaving straight from the academy to other teams either full time or part time clubs
I think Beith have a few lads in the first team, although that team has changed at the start of the season
Clydebank have a few players from the academy all holding down places in the first team or off and on.
Kilwinning have a couple of players doing well in the first team from the academy and they have 1 Pollok Academy player receiving a few MOTM awards
I heard there was a couple of St Cadocs Academy lads holding down a first team place as well so it seems that academy lads have and are been given chances to produce the goods and are doing well

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread
spelling

3 hours ago, Meadowman said:

Does that mean that there will be 2 teams in Saltcoats? It’ll take a lot of work to get their park up to the desired standard.

Winton Park just over half a mile away in Ardrossan would be the closest I'd guess, Campbell park a mile and half away, maybe? Then Ardeer probably about the same.

Does that mean that there will be 2 teams in Saltcoats? It’ll take a lot of work to get their park up to the desired standard.

We’re currently amateur football Nomads as we’re originally a West Kilbride team who are registered in Saltcoats and play out of Kilwinning in the winter to make sure our games are always on.

Yip, looking forward to getting stuck in.

A wee update on the remaining West Lothian junior clubs......,apparently Stoneyburn and Armadale are joining Harthill in applying for the WoS,while Whitburn are still undecided.
Bathgate are in a bad way,mr.napier wants to go but so far no one has came forward to take the reins.
Livi and Pumphy heading for the EoS..

For those wondering why WL clubs are looking at the WOSL the educated guesses are they see it as a way of retaining SJFA membership & secondly there's bad blood between some of the remaining WL junior clubs & some of those who moved to the EOS.

3 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

For those wondering why WL clubs are looking at the WOSL the educated guesses are they see it as a way of retaining SJFA membership & secondly there's bad blood between some of the remaining WL junior clubs & some of those who moved to the EOS.

So the "junior" mentality still prevails?

4 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

So the "junior" mentality still prevails?

Would the WoS welcome current Juniors which may have that mentality? Indeed would the EoS welcome clubs with this attitude?

Edited by Dev