Music streaming plafforms

KingRocketman II

What is the equivalent payment mechanism for radio? Because that is the real comparison point here rather than the 'streams took aw ma album sales!!!11!!' argument that sometimes gets peddled. 

If you have a credible fanbase then they will purchase your collected work in addition to the above as well as tickets to your tours. If people are not willing to pay a tenner for an hour's worth of material based on the streamed content that they've listened to then they were never that bothered by it in the first place tbh. 

On 25/01/2021 at 06:45, Al B said:

Slightly off-topic but as it was touched on earlier, here's the answer to the question. First number is the earnings per stream, 2nd number is how many streams you need to earn £1, and the 3rd number is how many streams you'd need every hour to make minimum wage. Bear in mind also that this is total revenue if you own 100% of the rights. If you are an artist signed to a label then you get around 20% of this (which is then subsequently split between however many people are in your band/group), and then a songwriter would get around 15% on top of this.

Amazon - £0.009 - 111 - 970

Tidal - £0.007 - 143 - 1246

Apple Music - £0.0054 - 185 - 1615

Deezer - £0.0045 - 222 - 1938

Google Play - £0.0044 - 272 - 1981

Spotify - £0.0028 - 357 - 3114

Pandora - £0.0016 - 625 - 5450

Youtube - £0.0012 - 833 - 7267

So if you are the songwriter in a 5-member band signed to a label on a relatively standard deal, you are earning £0.0005 per stream on Spotify. The non-songwriting members are earning £0.0001 per stream.

Also bear in mind that this is after the repayment of any debt to the label such as the cost to record the album etc etc.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

What is the equivalent payment mechanism for radio? Because that is the real comparison point here rather than the 'streams took aw ma album sales!!!11!!' argument that sometimes gets peddled. 

If you have a credible fanbase then they will purchase your collected work in addition to the above as well as tickets to your tours. If people are not willing to pay a tenner for an hour's worth of material based on the streamed content that they've listened to then they were never that bothered by it in the first place tbh. 

It's kind of halfway between radio and a recording in principle. I think radio play gets about 1% of what streaming does, if it's even worth collecting off PRS. 

I don't think that most artists were ever able to earn a living off record sales. A couple of top twenty singles and a silver album might have just about broken even but the vast majority would have been living off an advance from the record company or takings from shows. 

This is still a really immature market. I expect that the market power of the new majors will get eroded by more niche platforms with different pricing.

Personally i think that the link between the impulse to hear a song and the mechanism for the artist to get paid is more strongly linked than ever, and that's progress. The middlemen skimming the takings just happen to work for different companies. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @RiG for highlighting iBroadcast. Thought I’d lost all my ripped CDs to the clutches of YouTube music and it’s Whitty adverts but got an email from them saying I had a final chance to download my okd Google play library. Did it and shoved it onto iBroadcast. Tremendous.