Will you get the COVID vaccine?

Will you get the COVID vaccine?  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

Some great points there. Clearly, refusing a vaccine in Europe doesn't make one pop up in Africa

Indirectly it does though.  If the richer countries gave up some of their supply it would filter down the pecking order.  Eventually.

P&Bers, just a little thought I've had for a while (and one which has resurfaced since a BBC article came out this morning)...
Is it morally wrong to refuse the vaccine, for the time being, on the basis that you are shocked at how little of the supply has been extended to the developing world so far? Is it wrong that I would be getting the vaccine so much faster than someone my age in Malawi, for example? 
Covax is undoubtedly a fantastic initiative, but it's not doing nearly enough. It's looking increasingly likely that we're going to have a world where the developed world is sufficiently immunized, but vast swathes of Africa and Asia are still cowering in fear. 
Just a thought, as I say. I haven't made up my mind yet. 

The only morally correct option is to take to the countryside and wage an insurgency against the state and big pharma

1 hour ago, The Other Foot said:

P&Bers, just a little thought I've had for a while (and one which has resurfaced since a BBC article came out this morning)...

Is it morally wrong to refuse the vaccine, for the time being, on the basis that you are shocked at how little of the supply has been extended to the developing world so far? Is it wrong that I would be getting the vaccine so much faster than someone my age in Malawi, for example? 

Covax is undoubtedly a fantastic initiative, but it's not doing nearly enough. It's looking increasingly likely that we're going to have a world where the developed world is sufficiently immunized, but vast swathes of Africa and Asia are still cowering in fear. 

I would say that it would be morally wrong.

Not that I don’t agree with your concern, I completely do and it is imperative that all countries should be vaccinated quickly regardless of the wealth of that nation.

I just think it would be wrong because refusing the vaccine yourself doesn’t do anything to improve the chances of developing countries getting the vaccine, yet refusing it does potentially cause direct harm to the vulnerable people within our own country.

Treating everyone equally means not seeing ourselves as being more valuable or worthy of the vaccine, but also not seeing ourselves as less worthy or valuable.  It’s better to try to directly influence governments and those producing the vaccine into good programmes to get the vaccine to everyone, rather than refuse it.

Edited by Jambomo

1 hour ago, The Other Foot said:

So here's a twist on the original hypothesis - if the UK government were to say to you, "We are now out of the original batch and looking to order more, but would like to offer you the chance to donate your vaccine to someone in Africa" ...what would you say? 🙃

I'd say it depends on the infection rates. Right now in the UK we are in such a bad state that sorry, we need the vaccines more than most. If it comes to the summer and infections, deaths & hospital admissions are really low, then yeah go for it. 

3 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

Depends who it is in Africa. According to the law of averages, loads of Africans are going to be fannies. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Ian Brown says it's not a vaccine if it doesn't stop transmission or infection. He's called it the Controllavirus. Can we get him on SAGE?

I'm not sure a man who did lines before 11am us best places to tell anyone what they should and shouldn't take. Perhaps if the Vaccine had to be stored up someone's arse for 8 hours Ian would be front of the queue.

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m not going to get vaccinated against something that might kill me because I’ve never died before.

Come now, I've seen you die dozens of deaths on this website alone

58 minutes ago, 101 said:

I'm not sure a man who did lines before 11am us best places to tell anyone what they should and shouldn't take. Perhaps if the Vaccine had to be stored up someone's arse for 8 hours Ian would be front of the queue.

Well.... I mean, theres other stuff we can judge him on without getting into who snorted what and at what hour....

I’m no doubt well down the list but, being a teacher that much prefers face to face teaching I’m quite keen to get it.
Had to get tested last week due to a positive for one of my senior students, thankfully I don’t have the plague

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Come now, I've seen you die dozens of deaths on this website alone

Well.... I mean, theres other stuff we can judge him on without getting into who snorted what and at what hour....

I thought it was fair enough, he has been pretty open about his drug taking if he then has a problem about taking a drug that is infinitely safer than the one he took then making the comment in counter to his missinformation seems entity proper.

Just now, 101 said:

I thought it was fair enough, he has been pretty open about his drug taking if he then has a problem about taking a drug that is infinitely safer than the one he took then making the comment in counter to his missinformation seems entity proper.

Aye, I was light heartedly defending those who might have banged in a straightener pre 11am in their more flamboyant days...

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye, I was light heartedly defending those who might have banged in a straightener pre 11am in their more flamboyant days...

Ah apologies. Well Ian said his pre 11 lines is what causes him regret. 

11 minutes ago, 101 said:

My dealer has never let me down. Always punctual, delivers the goods, and has good chat. 

Big pharma and the Tory government on the other hand?

Edited by NotThePars

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Ian Brown says it's not a vaccine if it doesn't stop transmission or infection. He's called it the Controllavirus. Can we get him on SAGE?

Ian Brown is a twat who has done nothing of any value for over 30 years.