Will you get the COVID vaccine?

Will you get the COVID vaccine?  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Woman in work: "Al no' be gettin' the vaccine, you've nae idea what's in it"

Me: "What's in the meningitis vaccine?

Woman: "How um a supposed to know that?"

Me: "You're not, did you get the meningitis vaccine?"

Woman: "Aye, how?"

I will be getting the vaccine. 

4 minutes ago, Slacker said:

From the BBC:

We aim to complete first doses for everyone over 65 years old by the beginning of March, says Ms Sturgeon.

She adds: "We aim to reach the whole of the JCVI priority list by early May."

Then the rest of the adult population will follow thereafter.

Does anyone know if they'll just open a booking system up to everyone else in May and it's a case of first come, first serve? So a healthy 18 year old could get theirs before a healthy 49 year old, for example? Or is it still to be rolled out by age once the priority list is complete?

I would guess all the people outside of the priority list are essentially considered equal - I don't see why a 49 year-old would take precedence over an 18 year-old.

I might be completely wrong in my assumption here but it does seem to be predominantly woman who are anti vaxxers

I'll probably get it, not a big fan of needles but I'm not anti vax, I wish they could have less invasive methods.

One thing I'm curious is to how long you get immunity for, it's not something that I'd fancy getting every year but will happily close my eyes and get it done the once especially if I was to be put on some blacklist over not having one. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Yes. I volunteer for a food delivery programme which takes meals to vulnerable people, so I think I might get offered it fairly soon through that. When I do I will be straight down to the Louisa Jordan or wherever else at whatever time of the day they want me.

There are obviously concerns about any new drug, but I trust the medical experts who have worked on these things and all the regulatory authorities to do their jobs properly.

You should get it, im a carer too and have heard from the local authority so just waiting on an appointment. Its usually being arranged at council social work depts for care staff/non nhs. 

Hoping to get mine fairly soon, work in a children's home so frontline worker. We're on standby for some "spare" vaccines in case they become available at short notice so if and when they do, I'll be there faster than a cheetah on roller skates. It's the first step out of this absolute shit-show.

Unless there are medical reasons for refusing it then that's people's choice, but it's also my choice to think of them as an arsehole if they refuse it for no good reason.

3 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

I might be completely wrong in my assumption here but it does seem to be predominantly woman who are anti vaxxers

More susceptible to Facebook scaremongering IMO. An alarming number of people in here have said "I don't bother with the flu jag every year and I'm fine".

Just now, Stormzy said:

I'll probably get it, not a big fan of needles but I'm not anti vax, I wish they could have less invasive methods.

One thing I'm curious is to how long you get immunity for, it's not something that I'd fancy getting every year but will happily close my eyes and get it done the once especially if I was to be put on some blacklist over not having one. 

I'd read somewhere that they were looking to develop a spray for COVID. I imagine a lot of people would be happy enough to take a spray over a vaccine. Immunity lasts at least 5 months, probably longer but we don't really know yet. 

Obviously. I want this nightmare to end.

I'm not necessarily worried about my own health but want it more to reduce any impact on my parents. Mum gets hers on Wednesday via her work in healthcare, dad will be longer though he's more at risk. Once he's jagged I'll feel more at ease tbh.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

50 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

That line has always amused me. What's in it is ready available online (the factsheets for each one has the full list of 'ingredients') so they aren't looking very hard.

However, even if they did, I strongly doubt that the usual type who ask "What's in it?" will have the first clue about the substances in it. For example, here's the list of what is in the Pfizer one:

• Active Ingredient
    • nucleoside-modified messenger RNA (modRNA) encoding the viral spike glycoprotein (S) of SARS-CoV-2
  • Lipids
    • (4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis (ALC-3015)
    • (2- hexyldecanoate),2-[(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide (ALC-0159)
    • 1,2-distearoyl-snglycero-3-phosphocholine (DPSC)
    • cholesterol
  • Salts
    • potassium chloride
    • monobasic potassium phosphate
    • sodium chloride
    • basic sodium phosphate dihydrate 
  • Other
    • sucrose

Basically, folk saying they don't know what's in it have read some baseless pish about mercury and are just a less extreme type of anti-vaxxer.2 free sto

9 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Obviously. I want this nightmare to end.

I'm not necessarily worried about my own health but want it more to reduce any impact on my parents. Mum gets hers on Wednesday via her work in healthcare, dad will be longer though he's more at risk. Once he's jagged I'll feel more at ease tbh.

This is the key point I think. For many folk it isn't about their safety but the safety of others. This is why some employers in certain industries might be thinking about making it a condition of employment. The care home sector is a prime example.

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

That line has always amused me. What's in it is ready available online (the factsheets for each one has the full list of 'ingredients') so they aren't looking very hard.

However, even if they did, I strongly doubt that the usual type who ask "What's in it?" will have the first clue about the substances in it. For example, here's the list of what is in the Pfizer one:

• Active Ingredient
    • nucleoside-modified messenger RNA (modRNA) encoding the viral spike glycoprotein (S) of SARS-CoV-2
  • Lipids
    • (4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis (ALC-3015)
    • (2- hexyldecanoate),2-[(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide (ALC-0159)
    • 1,2-distearoyl-snglycero-3-phosphocholine (DPSC)
    • cholesterol
  • Salts
    • potassium chloride
    • monobasic potassium phosphate
    • sodium chloride
    • basic sodium phosphate dihydrate 
  • Other
    • sucrose

Basically, folk saying they don't know what's in it have read some baseless pish about mercury and are just a less extreme type of anti-vaxxer.2 free sto

This is the key point I think. For many folk it isn't about their safety but the safety of others. This is why some employers in certain industries might be thinking about making it a condition of employment. The care home sector is a prime example.

Salts are bad for you 

1 minute ago, Empty It said:

I'll definitely be getting it although I understand why people that aren't anti vaxers would be apprehensive about it, no way can they know the long term side effects of the vaccine at this stage.

What sort of side effects would need to be present for you to refuse the vaccine?