Aberdeen v Motherwell

Alexander is the wildcard factor here. If nothing else, Robinson seemed to have a decent handle on how to play McInnes and Aberdeen.

His record was P 13 W 6 D 1 L 6 F 16 A 11

Alexander's been in the door a week and a bit, is largely working with Robinson's squad, he's never managed up here and we're still not entirely clear what his plan is in terms of style of play. Against St Mirren and Rangers we've essentially been playing the 433 that Robinson struggled with at the start of the season...but a bit better.

I suppose it depends on whether we've got any new players in the door this week as our problem now seems to be a massive drop off in the 2nd half when we're having to make subs. Our bench is filled with either teenagers or a clutch of players who aren't good enough eg: Ricki Lamie, Jordan White, Sherwin Seedorf.

It will definitely be a difficult game. I am just hoping that we get both a performance and result out of this squad and then have a good run following this. 

either 3-0 Motherwell or 2-1 Aberdeen (After we score first and then lose 2 goals very late on).

33 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Alexander is the wildcard factor here. If nothing else, Robinson seemed to have a decent handle on how to play McInnes and Aberdeen.

His record was P 13 W 6 D 1 L 6 F 16 A 11

Alexander's been in the door a week and a bit, is largely working with Robinson's squad, he's never managed up here and we're still not entirely clear what his plan is in terms of style of play. Against St Mirren and Rangers we've essentially been playing the 433 that Robinson struggled with at the start of the season...but a bit better.

I suppose it depends on whether we've got any new players in the door this week as our problem now seems to be a massive drop off in the 2nd half when we're having to make subs. Our bench is filled with either teenagers or a clutch of players who aren't good enough eg: Ricki Lamie, Jordan White, Sherwin Seedorf.

It's hard to see past this. I will say that the difference a keeper, a left back and a fit Cole is making is huge. The problem is when we need to make any changes the drop off in quality is shocking. 

Bevis was a titan at the back on Sunday but I would probably like another centre back in. And a proper number 9 would be nice. I was genuinely delighted when we brough on Lawleff and MacIver at the weekend on account of neither of them being Jordan White. 

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

It's hard to see past this. I will say that the difference a keeper, a left back and a fit Cole is making is huge. The problem is when we need to make any changes the drop off in quality is shocking. 

Bevis was a titan at the back on Sunday but I would probably like another centre back in. And a proper number 9 would be nice. I was genuinely delighted when we brough on Lawleff and MacIver at the weekend on account of neither of them being Jordan White. 

Although in Whites defence pretty much every time McIver got the ball he lost it. So I am not convinced he is a step up on Jordan. Possibly a bit more mobile but then so is an 80 yr old pensioner. 

I am going to splash out for the stream as it is a decent price. Sadly that effectively ends any chance of Motherwell getting a result. 

We do need to start winning games but I would take an away point. A win win. Keeps McWinless in a job and we keep our unbeaten run under Alexander into the County game next midweek. 

Edited by welldaft

26 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Although in Whites defence pretty much every time McIver got the ball he lost it. So I am not convinced he is a step up on Jordan. Possibly a bit more mobile but then so is an 80 yr old pensioner. 

I am going to splash out for the stream as it is a decent price. Sadly that effectively ends any chance of Motherwell getting a result. 

We do need to start winning games but I would take an away point. A win win. Keeps McWinless in a job and we keep our unbeaten run under Alexander into the County game next midweek. 

Aye I will concede that MacIver didn't do anything but at least by not bringing White on we remove the temptation to attempt to use him as a target man which is partly what killed us vs Dundee United. 

Aberdeen getting their pants pulled down by County at the weekend was probably a bad thing for us. Although Derek may try something new against us again so it may work in our favour.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it finished 1-1 but expect Aberdeen to win.

5 hours ago, welldaft said:

Do we stay safe if we draw every game?

19 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Very little confidence in getting a result from this game. I imagine Alexander will disregard the result in the previous game at Pittodrie, and view a point as a decent result. 

I don't back us to break anybody down at this stage, given the quality of our finishing. 

Hopefully Scott Wright isn't involved. I imagine he will be, such is our lack of good creative players. 

Apathy will be the theme of the day again, I imagine. 

Which is kind of amusing when you think of it. 

Aberdeen are battling for 3rd which is is for all sides outside the Old Firm like winning the league.  No harm in striving for 2nd or winning the league but as Celtic and Rangers average wage is £700k+ it is very unlikely.

We are 2nd bottom and fighting relegation. 

Yes you just lost 4-1 to County but that flattered County. At 2-1 Aberdeen had several good chances to level up were it not for some very good saves from Laidlaw. Was not that long ago we lost 3-0 to Hamilton and despite an OK start for Alexander are still to pick up a win since Halloween.

You would think Aberdeen fans would be more upbeat than Well fans despite the change in management...

Edited by welldaft

8 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Which is kind of amusing when you think of it. 

Aberdeen are battling for 3rd which is is for all sides outside the Old Firm like winning the league.  No harm in striving for 2nd or winning the league but as Celtic and Rangers average wage is £700k+ it is very unlikely.

Yes you just lost 4-1 to County but that flattered County. At 2-1 Aberdeen had several good chances to level up were it not for some very good saves from Laidlaw. Was not that long ago we lost 3-0 to Hamilton and despite an OK start for Alexander are still to pick up a win since Halloween.

You would think Aberdeen fans would be more upbeat than Well fans despite the change in management...

Aberdeen fans in being miserable shocker.

23 hours ago, Swello said:

This has been a really weird fixture for the past few years - that 3-0 earlier in the season and the one where Danny Johnson scored a double at Fir Park and we also won 3-0 were totally out of the blue. Similarly, Aberdeen absolutely hammered us 3-0 at Fir Park in Oct 2019 in what most folk thought would be a close one as we were on good form at the time.

3-3 then?

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Yeah, but as we know only too well (pun sort-of intended in this case) , league position can hide a multitude of sins....
When we finished 3rd in the league last season we were already entering the long run of poor performances that got to us to our current situation.  

54 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Motherwell are a far smaller club than Aberdeen and aspirations will be different from the fan bases, a bad season for us isn't necessarily a bad season for you. 

Smaller in terms of fan base and turnover absolutely. Helps that you are over 100 miles away from Glasgae town.

However a quick look at the all time top flight points table has Aberdeen in 4th and Motherwell in 6th with Hibs in between. I am not discounting Europe and trophies but in terms of bread and butter league then we are not that far away in terms of points gained...

Not very confident this weekend with 7 players missing (Devlin, Hayes, Leigh, McCrorie, McGeouch, McLennan, Taylor), I think this injuries may force us to play 4 at the back and I hope that we don't play Cosgrove and Main upfront together again.

Hopefully we will be more up for this game than the shambles of last weekend which we only started to play once 2-0 down.  Hopefully by the 23rd minute we won't be 3-0 down like last time :(

8 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Not very confident this weekend with 7 players missing (Devlin, Hayes, Leigh, McCrorie, McGeouch, McLennan, Taylor), I think this injuries may force us to play 4 at the back and I hope that we don't play Cosgrove and Main upfront together again.

Hopefully we will be more up for this game than the shambles of last weekend which we only started to play once 2-0 down.  Hopefully by the 23rd minute we won't be 3-0 down like last time :(

Is there any chance that Taylor will play?

5 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

I don't think not being near Glasgow has any baring on what like our support is. Plenty of horrible Celtic and Rangers supporters groups in Aberdeen, and Aberdeenshire. What could we be if buggers supported their local. 

Interesting wee stat that! Who's 3rd? 

Should be Hearts I would imagine. Given that they've been in existence for nearly 30 years prior to us. 

Hoping to see Motherwell build on positive signs past couple of weeks and find the goal a bit more. Aberdeen will be sore after getting absolutely skelped off a poor Ross County side so there is that a the back of my mind. I'm going for 2-0 Motherwell followed by an Aberdeen fan meltdown. 

Aberdeen are sitting a respectable 4th, with the club going through a bit of a turnaround. Not really understanding doom and gloom from the Pittodrie faithful here....