Championship Sunday

lichtie23

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

1. It's an onside kick, not an offside kick.

2. They would certainly still have tried it, so there was the same odds of it coming off.

Apologies I meant onside kick. It’s still the same odds but everything changes so it might not have happened.

This should probably be in Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves but... the Super Bowl logo annoys me.

They have it as "Super Bowl LV" but with the trophy between the L and the V. In doing so, it looks like Super Bowl LIV, which is incorrect. Make the trophy part of the L or something, don't make it look like a different number. 😡

Anyway this game has felt over more or less since Kansas City took the lead. The Chiefs have been excellent, but the Bills really haven't turned up and bottled it when they had a big decision to make, twice.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

It was going to be very difficult to be as good as the NFC championship game but Iv been disappointed by this game. The Chiefs have been head a shoulders the better team tonight. Hopefully a learning curve for Buffalo and they can come back next year stronger

7 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Because every decision changes based on what has happened.

What? Buffalo would still have kicked an onside kick. KC would still have sent their hands team out. The same play would have happened. Absolute nonsense to suggest otherwise.

Better team by lots won, not helped by horrendous decision making from McDermott on 4th down and Allen thinking he can darth vader choke folk that are about to sack him as long as he keeps running backwards. Sore one but still an over achieving season overall. 

That said I can't believe the Bills won the division, swept the division 6-0, had the NFL leader in receiving yards, won 2 playoff games, set all sorts of franchise records... 

And I still have to hope fucking Brady and Gronk lose the super bowl. 

Edited by Fuctifano

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

What? Buffalo would still have kicked an onside kick. KC would still have sent their hands team out. The same play would have happened. Absolute nonsense to suggest otherwise.

Well no, if they kicked a field goal instead of going for 2 literally everything is different. They would have still tried the same play but there would have been absolutely no guarantee that the exact same thing would have happened.

6 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

That said I can't believe the Bills won the division, swept the division 6-0, had the NFL leader in receiving yards, won 2 playoff games, set all sorts of franchise records... 

And I still have to hope fucking Brady and Gronk lose the super bowl. 

GIFs that make Tom Brady seem just like your dad

6 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Well no, if they kicked a field goal instead of going for 2 literally everything is different. They would have still tried the same play but there would have been absolutely no guarantee that the exact same thing would have happened.

Ridiculous. What are you suggesting would have changed the outcome of an onside kick?

Onside kicks are a bit of a lottery. They aren't really influenced by anything other than good fortune. Certainly not the previous play.

We're back to the numbered balls in a bag question from the quick questions thread. The odds of doing x and recovering an onside kick are longer than the odds of recovering an onside kick, but the odds of recovering an onside kick on any play in isolation (where one is expected anyway) are not changed by the previous play.

Edited by Todd_is_God

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Ridiculous. What are you suggesting would have changed the outcome of an onside kick?

Onside kicks are a bit of a lottery. They aren't really influenced by anything other than good fortune. Certainly not the previous play.

If they went for 1 point instead of going for two that would have changed the outcome of that onside kick. They would still have tried the same play but there is no guarantee of the same thing happening.

Edited by PB1994

3 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

If they went for 1 point instead of going for two that would have changed the outcome of that onside kick. They would still have tried the same thing but there is no guarantee of the same thing happening.

There's also no guarantee it wouldn't have, yet that seems to be forming the basis of your annoyance.

Your logic that the previous play would somehow influence the outcome of an expected onside kick is flawed.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

There's also no guarantee it wouldn't have, yet that seems to be forming the basis of your annoyance.

It annoys me that commentators, not just in the NFL, but in general think that if something that happened in the past was different then the same outcome would still be reached. It’s just complete nonsense.

Ffs, we're arguing about what a team would do if it was down 17, 16 or even 15 points with 4 minutes to go. It wouldn't have mattered anyway, but I'm sure the team in any of those situations is still desperate enough to attempt an onside kick.

1 minute ago, PB1994 said:

It annoys me that commentators, not just in the NFL, but in general think that if something that happened in the past was different then the same outcome would still be reached. It’s just complete nonsense.

You're complete nonsense.