Full back (right & left)

Craigieboy86

2 hours ago, Elgin Macca said:

Would Hickey be our Number 1 right back/wing back now? I think if both fully fit Hickey is a better defender but Paterson  looks better going forward. Could be a horses for courses type thing with them depending on the opposition. 

A great dilemma for Steve Clark to have. 

I reckon Hickey is by far the superior player, though Patterson is still most excellent.

Been saying for a while now I think Hickey will end up in the centre of midfield as he absolutely has the game for it.

Be ideal if that happened then we wouldn't need to bench either.

Having watched quite a bit of both of them over the last couple of seasons, I'm actually shocked at how similar they've been. Their profiles are almost completely different yet Patterson this season has been tasked with using his dribbling and passing to work the ball inside from full-back without contributing much/anything in the final third - that's almost the exact same as Hickey! Hopefully it was just a tactical quirk of Lampard that meant we haven't see much of Patterson in an attacking sense this season, but he definitely needs to improve on his final ball if he wants to be properly unleashed. 

I think Ramsay's a better prospect than both, but his injuries and lack of genuinely good form in senior football are concerning. 

I must admit, prior to the double header I didn't think neither Hickey nor Patterson were starting for their clubs. Down to my own ignorance and not really following football outside of the Scottish leagues. 

Normally I try to see how most Scottish players are getting on beyond just looking to see if they were in the starting line-up and subsequently stumbled on this Fox Sports resource. Anyone seen it/use it?

I think it is excellent - obviously the bigger the team/sport/player the more updates there are (hardly any for say Hibs) and am sure there are other similar resources but will definitely be clocking back into this in future particularly to check on progress of any injured key players ahead of squad announcements:

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/aaron-hickey-player

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/nathan-patterson-player

Hickey's a better player than Patterson. But the drop off to Patterson is small enough to not care. And who knows about Calvin Ramsay, looks like he'll be up there too

This means there should be no O'Donnel or Cadden types getting capped for the next 10 years thank the heavens

3 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Hickey's a better player than Patterson. But the drop off to Patterson is small enough to not care. And who knows about Calvin Ramsay, looks like he'll be up there too

This means there should be no O'Donnel or Cadden types getting capped for the next 10 years thank the heavens

No thanks. That would mean we wouldn't get magical moments like this:

or this:

Good times! 

images-4.jpeg

6 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Having watched quite a bit of both of them over the last couple of seasons, I'm actually shocked at how similar they've been. Their profiles are almost completely different yet Patterson this season has been tasked with using his dribbling and passing to work the ball inside from full-back without contributing much/anything in the final third - that's almost the exact same as Hickey! Hopefully it was just a tactical quirk of Lampard that meant we haven't see much of Patterson in an attacking sense this season, but he definitely needs to improve on his final ball if he wants to be properly unleashed. 

I think Ramsay's a better prospect than both, but his injuries and lack of genuinely good form in senior football are concerning. 

Patterson is like Tierney 

In that his strength is getting down that line to the byeline 

Unfortunately this inverted full backs fad has hampered both of them 

2 hours ago, Binos said:

Patterson is like Tierney 

In that his strength is getting down that line to the byeline 

Unfortunately this inverted full backs fad has hampered both of them 

Patterson is very good at coming inside - either dribbling wise or coming inside and linking up off either foot IMO. Hopefully Dyche can improve him defensively. 

30 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Patterson is very good at coming inside - either dribbling wise or coming inside and linking up off either foot IMO. Hopefully Dyche can improve him defensively. 

He showed this well home and away against Moldova in the last campaign. I’d probably have him over Hickey against weaker teams as he’s more dangerous going forward.

8 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

He showed this well home and away against Moldova in the last campaign. I’d probably have him over Hickey against weaker teams as he’s more dangerous going forward.

I agree with this. Patterson is an athlete and has pace to burn. I’d have him running at poor defences or tired defenders.

Hickey’s defensive position and decision making seems absurdly good for his age. He also seems to work well with Porteous

I like what’s been said before - possibly ‘horses for courses’ and if either start/finish then I wouldn’t blink.

2 hours ago, Tartan Dave said:

Patterson not in Everton squad which seems a bit odd

Dyche very much seems the type to go for experience and reliability rather than a young up and coming prospect. I think Patterson will end up having to leave for first team football. 

2 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Dyche very much seems the type to go for experience and reliability rather than a young up and coming prospect. I think Patterson will end up having to leave for first team football. 

He definitely is, unfortunately. 

Partterson would be an excellent sub to bring on right about now though, to provide a bit more attacking impetus. Poor if Dyche can’t even see that. 

Dyche doesn't think he's ready and pretty much said as much in his press conference recently. Something along the lines of Patterson having "development to do." He's pretty much in the same position as he was this time last year, but hopefully Dyche will get Everton out of bother earlier and maybe give Patterson some game time at the end of the season. 

25 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Dyche doesn't think he's ready and pretty much said as much in his press conference recently. Something along the lines of Patterson having "development to do." He's pretty much in the same position as he was this time last year, but hopefully Dyche will get Everton out of bother earlier and maybe give Patterson some game time at the end of the season. 

Of course he does - he is 21 years old. 

If he can be trusted to come off the bench against Spain, in place of someone who is clearly good enough at EPL level, then he can be trusted to come off the bench for Everton if they need a goal or whatever. I can accept that Dyche doesn’t think he is worth the risk to start right now given the improvement the defensive side of his game needs, but it’s nonsense to think he isn’t ready to offer something off the bench. 

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Of course he does - he is 21 years old. 

If he can be trusted to come off the bench against Spain, in place of someone who is clearly good enough at EPL level, then he can be trusted to come off the bench for Everton if they need a goal or whatever. I can accept that Dyche doesn’t think he is worth the risk to start right now given the improvement the defensive side of his game needs, but it’s nonsense to think he isn’t ready to offer something off the bench. 

Not the best week to be saying that about Hickey...

I suppose Dyche will be thinking that with Godfrey at LB he can bring Mykolenko on for Coleman and shift Godfrey over to provide a bit more athleticism down the right - like last night. 

I'd much rather have Patterson in that situation than Godfrey, but I'm just offering some perspective on why Dyche might not think that way. His form in between his two injuries will concern Dyche too.

On 31/03/2023 at 12:30, Gordopolis said:

I reckon Hickey is by far the superior player, though Patterson is still most excellent.

Been saying for a while now I think Hickey will end up in the centre of midfield as he absolutely has the game for it.

Craig Levien has been saying this (on BBC Scotland) regularly since Hickey broke through at Hearts.

On 31/03/2023 at 12:30, Gordopolis said:

We would have to bench someone from midfield then tho, which isn't an easy decision either.

I agree if he was to hes likely to be more of a holding midfielder. But its really up to if that happens at club level first.