Teaching myself chess and need help

On chapter 1 of a book called The Right Way to Play Chess by David Pritchard (revised and updated by Richard James). I'm confused by the following paragraph on pawn promotion,

""A pawn on reaching the end of the board (the last rank of eight squares) is promoted to any piece (other than a king) that the player chooses. A queen is the natural selection, in view of her being the strongest piece, but occasionally the peculiarity of the position demands promotion to knight, or even to bishop or rook."

What I don't get about that is, of those three pieces, the knight is the least powerful, right? I mean, if you put a knight alone in the centre of an empty board, there are only 8 squares he can move to. But a bishop can move to 13 squares, and a rook to 14. So if a queen is the natural selection for pawn promotion, why isn't the rook the next most natural selection?

Edited by FemdomFilmFan

10 minutes ago, FemdomFilmFan said:

On chapter 1 of a book called The Right Way to Play Chess by David Pritchard (revised and updated by Richard James. I'm confused by the following paragraph on pawn promotion,

""A pawn on reaching the end of the board (the last rank of eight squares) is promoted to any piece (other than a king) that the player chooses. A queen is the natural selection, in view of her being the strongest piece, but occasionally the peculiarity of the position demands promotion to knight, or even to bishop or rook."

What I don't get about that is, of those three pieces, the knight is the least powerful, right? I mean, if you put a knight alone in the centre of an empty board, there are only 8 squares he can move to. But a bishop can move to 13 squares, and a rook to 14. So if a queen is the natural selection for pawn promotion, why isn't the rook the next most natural selection?

The Queen can't pull off the same moves as the Knight. 

10 minutes ago, FemdomFilmFan said:

On chapter 1 of a book called The Right Way to Play Chess by David Pritchard (revised and updated by Richard James. I'm confused by the following paragraph on pawn promotion,

The rook is the most valuable piece after the queen.

I think it means when promoting to knight as it is the right thing to do in the situation. Such as when promoting to knight will put opponents king in check. Remember a knight is the only piece that can "jump" other pieces. 

It is the most likely other piece than a queen to promote to as you would get the moves of a bishop and rook combined in a queen (so why take one of them) 

4 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Why would you ever choose to promote to either a rook or bishop, though, given a Queen can make the same moves?

Edited by Todd_is_God

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Why would you choose to promote to either a rook or bishop, though, given a Queen can make the same moves?

You would take the queen obviously, but that wasn't what he was asking.

7 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

I don't understand. I asked if a queen is the most natural selection for pawn promotion, why isn't the rook the next most natural selection? What do you mean it's the most valuable piece after the queen? I understand it's the most valuable piece after the queen. What I don't understand is why it isn't the next most natural selection for pawn promotion.

4 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

You would take the queen obviously, but that wasn't what he was asking.

No I know, but I thought i'd ask as it was being discussed.

The knight makes sense, depending on board state, due to the way it moves.

But I can't think of a scenario where a rook or bishop would be the best option, yet the book suggests such a scenario exists.

Head to Wikipedia....search for Promotion (Chess)

There's a great example there of "underpromotion" which is where you choose to become a piece other than a queen. The white pawn will take the black knight....then by choosing to become a white knight "forks" the black King and Queen. The white knight then takes the black queen and then the black rook.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

But I can't think of a scenario where a rook or bishop would be the best option, yet the book suggests such a scenario exists.

You're correct about the knight, now that I think about it.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

If the board's pretty bare a rook would be more useful I'd have thought, which it's likely to be if a pawn has got to the other side of the board

1 minute ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

If the board's pretty bare a rook would be more useful I'd have thought, which it's likely to be if a pawn has got to the other side of the board

Why, though? A queen can make any move a rook can. Plus it can move diagonally too.

I don't see how a rook could ever be more useful than a queen (apart from castling which obv doesn't apply here).

Edited by Todd_is_God

There are some positions where promoting to a queen will stalemate your opponent, so you take a rook instead. 

There are some positions where (under)promoting to a knight can be useful, you tend to see this kind of pattern when you want to promote with check for some reason. 

Underpromoting to a bishop is exceedingly rare but I could probably contrive a position where it would make sense. 

Google "underpromotion in chess" and you'll find many examples. 

10 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Rookie mistake ( pun intended) is looking like you are winning a game, promoting a pawn and then finding you have stalemated your opponent. Grrrr emoji20.png

It's also similar to Zugzwang (not to be confused with numberwang).

https://www.chess.com/article/view/what-is-zugzwang-chess-terms