Teaching myself chess and need help

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm absolutely garbage at chess and have about a 50/50 record v the rest of the bottom feeder on chess.com 

I considered getting seriously into it and paying for lessons but I'll just bump up against a new set of people I can't beat 

I think you'll learn more from defeats than winning.

I've not got a paid subscription but I've beaten the free computer bots until Antonio (Advanced 1500) and I'm struggling to get even close to him. Then again I'm not focusing too hard on it when it's on the screen.

Nelson who brings the queen out ASAP was also a pain in the ass.

I can remember playing a game back in the day at the school chess club and taking a rook instead of a queen to avoid causing a stalemate. 
Mind when they used to show Play Chess on BBC during the holidays. They gave one example of a classic match where a grand master had promoted a pawn to a knight. All animated in high tech fashion using that lightboard with the pieces being wheeched off by some guy standing behind it.

I remember that. Did the presenter not make a surprise re-appearance on Gogglebox a few years ago (although I don't think he's still on it)?

2 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
On 18/01/2021 at 02:49, Lurkst said:
I can remember playing a game back in the day at the school chess club and taking a rook instead of a queen to avoid causing a stalemate. 
Mind when they used to show Play Chess on BBC during the holidays. They gave one example of a classic match where a grand master had promoted a pawn to a knight. All animated in high tech fashion using that lightboard with the pieces being wheeched off by some guy standing behind it.

I remember that. Did the presenter not make a surprise re-appearance on Gogglebox a few years ago (although I don't think he's still on it)?

97748798-7529-48C3-915C-68FEDAAB9ED2.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I think you'll learn more from defeats than winning.

I've not got a paid subscription but I've beaten the free computer bots until Antonio (Advanced 1500) and I'm struggling to get even close to him. Then again I'm not focusing too hard on it when it's on the screen.

Nelson who brings the queen out ASAP was also a pain in the ass.

Been playing Nelson a lot, finally started to beat him, not easy though.

28 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

That's right, Bill Hartston.

EUcnu98WsAAr3MN.jpg

Here his head appears to have forked a pair of tits at C5 and E5.

12 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Did a weeks worth of free lessons on Chess.com this afternoon.  Has anyone paid for diamond premium at £6.67/pcm?  Read good things about it.

Lichess.org is meant to be the superior website. Not as sleek as Chess.com, but the Chess Reddit act like chess.com is total shit in comparison.

Here's a good article going over the 2 and Magnus Carlsen's Chess24 website: https://www.ichess.net/blog/lichess-vs-chess24-vs-chess-com/

Edited by Ludo*1

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Lichess.org is meant to be the superior website. Not as sleek as Chess.com, but the Chess Reddit act like chess.com is total shit in comparison.

Here's a good article going over the 2 and Magnus Carlsen's Chess24 website: https://www.ichess.net/blog/lichess-vs-chess24-vs-chess-com/

Been reading threads on Chess Reddit, Lichess gets mentioned a lot.  There's a lot of good reports for Chess.com subscription don't mind paying for better functionality at least to begin with, will take a look at Lichess today.  

On 17/01/2021 at 21:40, Uncle Psychosis said:

There are some positions where promoting to a queen will stalemate your opponent, so you take a rook instead. 

There are some positions where (under)promoting to a knight can be useful, you tend to see this kind of pattern when you want to promote with check for some reason. 

Underpromoting to a bishop is exceedingly rare but I could probably contrive a position where it would make sense. 

Google "underpromotion in chess" and you'll find many examples. 

I've had stalemates in that situation quite a number of times.  It's not that uncommon and something you often over look or don't think about if you just automatically promote to a queen.  Very frustrating when victory was within your grasp! 

In the end game having a pair of knights can be incredibly useful due to the uniqueness of the squares they cover and their ability to jump and I can understand why you might take a knight over a queen depending what is on the board.   

Aggressive knights used in concert can be devastating when going for the kill.