Teaching myself chess and need help

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promotion_(chess)#Rook_underpromotion

Three pieces on the board, two White, one Black. White pawn on g7. White king on g4. Black king on h6. It's White's turn to move.

g8=Q

I understand why this would be a stalemate beacuse, even though Black isn't in check at the moment, only the King is on the board, and there's nowhere the King can move to without putting himself in check. But rewind and suppose White does this instead,

g8=R

What difference would that make?

1 minute ago, FemdomFilmFan said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promotion_(chess)#Rook_underpromotion

Three pieces on the board, two White, one Black. White pawn on g7. White king on g4. Black king on h6. It's White's turn to move.

g8=Q

I understand why this would be a stalemate beacuse, even though Black isn't in check at the moment, only the King is on the board, and there's nowhere the King can move to without putting himself in check. But rewind and suppose White does this instead,

g8=R

What difference would that make?

Unlike the Queen the rook doesn't attack the h7 square so the king has that move, it's not stalemate.

King plus Rook can still mate so underpromoting to a rook wins. 

53 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Head to Wikipedia....search for Promotion (Chess)

There's a great example there of "underpromotion" which is where you choose to become a piece other than a queen. The white pawn will take the black knight....

'tis but a flesh wound

2 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Head to Wikipedia....search for Promotion (Chess)

There's a great example there of "underpromotion" which is where you choose to become a piece other than a queen. The white pawn will take the black knight....then by choosing to become a white knight "forks" the black King and Queen. The white knight then takes the black queen and then the black rook.

I thought the black knight always triumphs?

EDIT: I see @tamthebam has already gotten in there with a Monty Python joke. Teach me to finish reading a thread before replying!

As you were.

Edited by Gaz

4 hours ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

Unlike the Queen the rook doesn't attack the h7 square so the king has that move, it's not stalemate.

King plus Rook can still mate so underpromoting to a rook wins. 

Thanks. I've been trying to figure out for about the last four hours how the rook and king can mate quickly but it hasn't come to me yet. Here's the best I've come up with so far (bear in mind I'm pretty new to the game),

Starting position: White pawn on g7, White King on g4, Black King on h6.

1. g8=R          Kh7

2. Re8          Kg6

3. Re6+          Kf7

4. Kf5          Kg7

5. Re7+         Kh6

6. Rh7#

I haven't figured out how to force mate quicker than that yet.

Edited by FemdomFilmFan

I can remember playing a game back in the day at the school chess club and taking a rook instead of a queen to avoid causing a stalemate. 

Mind when they used to show Play Chess on BBC during the holidays. They gave one example of a classic match where a grand master had promoted a pawn to a knight. All animated in high tech fashion using that lightboard with the pieces being wheeched off by some guy standing behind it.

32 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I still don't really understand stalement in chess terms. Friday night at Cappielow was a great other worldly example but on the chess board I can't see the difference between that and checkmate?

Well there are a couple of possibilities. Morton v Dunfermline was probably the equivalent of both players being left with just a king each, therefore unable to do anything other than move kings around the board.

You can also have the scenario where a player who is well ahead on pieces renders his opponent unable to move, but with the king not actually in check. That is also stalemate, but comparable to Danny Rogers dragging the ball into his own goal for a last minute equaliser 😖

Anyone who gets to the stage of promoting a pawn, should either not be playing chess, or not be playing that opponent.  If the game gets to that stage you, or your opponent (Or both) are simply pish.

My Russian cousin Grandmaster Superbigalski told me this.

Edited by superbigal

16 hours ago, FemdomFilmFan said:

Thanks. I've been trying to figure out for about the last four hours how the rook and king can mate quickly but it hasn't come to me yet. Here's the best I've come up with so far (bear in mind I'm pretty new to the game),

Starting position: White pawn on g7, White King on g4, Black King on h6.

1. g8=R          Kh7

2. Re8          Kg6

3. Re6+          Kf7

4. Kf5          Kg7

5. Re7+         Kh6

6. Rh7#

I haven't figured out how to force mate quicker than that yet.

Can anyone tell me if I could have forced mate faster? I just couldn't see a quicker solution at the time.

Oh shit, no, never mind. I just remembered the Black King can capture the White Rook. Damn it. Shows ya how new I am to the game. Damn. How can I force checkmate then from that starting position?

Edited by FemdomFilmFan

2 hours ago, FemdomFilmFan said:

Can anyone tell me if I could have forced mate faster? I just couldn't see a quicker solution at the time.

Oh shit, no, never mind. I just remembered the Black King can capture the White Rook. Damn it. Shows ya how new I am to the game. Damn. How can I force checkmate then from that starting position?

Reckon if you set it up for folk, they might be more likely to help!

https://www.chess.com/analysis

White Rook & King vs. Black King should always end up as a White win if played properly.

You need to keep the rook in the g column without putting the black king in check at any time & then manoeuvre the white king around it, always protecting the rook with the white king until the final move

You can force mate as follows

1. g8=R     Kh7

2. Rg5        Kh6

3. Kf5          Kh7

4. Rg6        Kh8

5. Kf6          Kh7

6. Kf7          Kh8

7. Rh6#

Edited by lichtgilphead
wrong column cited