Musical 1 + 1 = 0

Funky Nosejob

Those moments in music when two of your favourite things come together yet the result leaves you feeling distraught and questioning your previous choices.

In 1979, I had just started secondary school and was under peer pressure to choose between punk and disco. Thankfully, I heard “Going Underground” by The Jam on the radio and recognised the alternative to the previous false dichotomy. Mod Revival was my choice and I quickly fell in with like-minded friends.

Late 80s, and a girlfriend buys me a Motown compilation album, based on her assertion  that “Town Called Malice” has a Motown beat. A re-evaluation of Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye ensues, but one of the standout tracks for me is “Heat Wave” by Martha & The Vandellas which quickly becomes my Motown song of choice.

So, you’d think that The Jam performing Heat Wave would be magnificent. Well, ...

Sadly not.😖

• 1 month later...

Willing to persevere with this, but expecting to get shot down again.

Cool Jerk - Top toon from 1966, originally by The Capitols and expertly covered by the legendary Bootsy Collins.

The Go-Go’s - Ground breaking all female American punk band, best known in UK for supporting The Specials, Madness and The Police on tour and for their hits, We Got the Beat and Our Lips Are Sealed. Children of a later generation would be aware of Belinda Carlisle’s solo career and Jane Wiedlin’s portrayal of Joan Of Ark in Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure.

So I had high expectations of The Go-Go’s cover of Cool Jerk.
Can they do it? Can they do it? Can they do it? Can they do it? Alas, ...

I love Bruce Springsteen. I love rage against the machine. 

I really love the 'magic tour highlights' bonus songs which include a glorious live version of "the ghost of Tom Joad", performed by Springsteen on the Magic tour with Tom Morello. The original song is a slow, melodic, fumbling, raw mess. This particular version is souped up, 7 minutes long with one of the best guitar solos I've ever heard smashing through at the end. 

So, with all of the above in mind, you would think that RATM covering the same song sans Springsteen would be equally tremendous!

Its fucking not. 

White Wedding. Billy Idol sneering. The video with folk shaking their leather-clad arses to the tune. Queens of the Stone Age are covering it. It’s going to have scorching guitar solos, burst with energy, threatening vocals. And it falls flat.. 

Not terrible but disappointing.