Phil Spector is dead

34 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

Clearly people set a low standard for what constitutes a celebrity years ago as I've never heard of him and fail to see why he was ever relevant

Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys - have you heard of him?

Wilson was so moved by Spector's production of 'Be my Baby' that he played it repeatedly every morning.

Wilson was a genius, but his records arguably wouldn't have sounded the way they did had it not been for Spector.

John Lennon & George Harrison - heard of them? Who did they ask to co-produce their early solo records? 

This is like that daft lassie who was editor of Smash Hits at the time George Harrison died - "What's all the fuss about? I could understand if it was Simon Le Bon or Tony Hadley"! :lol:

Edited by paranoid android

7 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys - have you heard of him?

Wilson was so moved by Spector's production of 'Be my Baby' repeatedly every morning.

Wilson was a genius, but his records arguably wouldn't have sounded the way they did had it not been for Spector.

John Lennon & George Harrison - heard of them? Who did they ask to co-produce their early solo records? 

1123341775_tenor(7).gif.607ba71985ac562889e2b2db62643277.gif

Well seeing they didn't have the Internet or computer games in the 1960s, if people obsessed about a fucking producer enough to turn him into a celebrity in their own right. 

Edited by vikingTON

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm a bit surprised the didn't let him out to house arrest when Covid hit, I think they did for most elderly rich convicts.

Widely reported as natural causes. Where are you seeing it was covid?

3 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:
3 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:
As a producer, he was only rivalled by Brian Wilson. As a human being, he was not the best.

Have to disagree Jimi, George Martin and his Abbey Road Massive take the gold medal.

George Martin's reaction to Let It Be's cover notes was that it should have read “Produced by George Martin, overproduced by Phil Spector.”

18 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Widely reported as natural causes. Where are you seeing it was covid?

https://news.sky.com/story/phil-spector-ex-music-producer-and-convicted-killer-dies-12190784

"TMZ says the 81-year-old was diagnosed with coronavirus four weeks ago and was transferred from his prison cell to a hospital.

It is understood he recovered enough to return to prison but relapsed, had trouble breathing and was taken back to the hospital, where he died."

Clearly people set a low standard for what constitutes a celebrity years ago as I've never heard of him and fail to see why he was ever relevant
That you haven't heard of him, which without knowing your age might be perfectly understandable, is reflective of nothing other than a gap in your own knowledge.

They say the line between genius and insanity is an extremely fine one and Spector perfectly demonstrated that.

An absolute genius music producer, Let It Be not withstanding, but a total lunatic with an already well demonstrated obsession with playing with guns long before the murder.

1 hour ago, paranoid android said:

This is like that daft lassie who was editor of Smash Hits at the time George Harrison died - "What's all the fuss about? I could understand if it was Simon Le Bon or Tony Hadley"! :lol:

That's amazing. If it was Ringo I'd agree.