Yes Cymru

Erih Shtrep

A think this movement is big enough to merit its own thread.   

Membership for Yes Cymru has increased to 17,000 and the several AUOB marches have been well attended

image.jpeg.f2d7afdec34ba0d42d12fb6e2245c381.jpegimage.jpeg.5288e961fb5c9d65e84a0b4b1a4e17f8.jpegimage.jpeg.5a2d7a829638faa52de53e9085c8d681.jpeg

Support for Welsh Independence continues to increase with just over 1 in 2 against the idea 

image.png.fd538377deb0563560a45a1e198e9e7a.png

Plaid Cymru leader Adam Price plans to offer a referendum if they win May's election to the Senedd, but support for independence hasn't resulted in a rush towards Plaid.   Opinion polls suggest around 40% of Labour voters back independence but unlike in Scotland there hasn't been a move towards the 'nationalists'.    

image.png.8a9d842bd6b1ce98720a6359c75fd44a.png

Labour remains heavy odds-on (1/5) favourites to gain the most seats at the Welsh assembly elections.  You can get 5's on the Tories with Plaid 18/1.   

Regardless there's marches planned for 2021 and the movement towards Welsh Independence continues, and we've witnessed how quickly things can snowball.    I really like Adam Price, give him a platform and he'll increase the numbers further.   

I noticed Yes Cymru's presence online, mostly because I am interested in the Scottish independence movement. However, unlike Scotland, I'm not sure Welsh independence is feasible. However, that's up to the Welsh people to decide, of course.

56 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

I noticed Yes Cymru's presence online, mostly because I am interested in the Scottish independence movement. However, unlike Scotland, I'm not sure Welsh independence is feasible. However, that's up to the Welsh people to decide, of course.

In what way don't you see it being feasible?

5 minutes ago, Juanhourjoe said:

In what way don't you see it being feasible?

Scotland has fishing, whisky and oil. What does Wales have? Much of the terrain is mountainous and unsuited to agriculture. What does Wales produce? How would it be economically viable?

9 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Scotland has fishing, whisky and oil. What does Wales have? Much of the terrain is mountainous and unsuited to agriculture. What does Wales produce? How would it be economically viable?

The run down former mining villages illustrates perfectly why Wales should govern itself.   Thatcher said don't worry we're investing in London, we'll look after you.    It will always be beneficial to run fiscal policies to maximise the wealth of your country.   

16 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Future Welsh governments could build up a better economy over time. As With Shtrep says, the London centric economy hasn't been good for Welsh prosperity. It would be up to the imagination and skills of the Welsh people to build something new under better investment conditions.

25 minutes ago, Juanhourjoe said:

It would be up to the imagination and skills of the Welsh people to build something new under better investment conditions.

531939383_tenor(25).gif.afd53094115aa9fdc520d9cfe4be7c3b.gif

Perhaps they would be better off with limited autonomy under their new Scottish overlords instead. I'm thinking a United Arab Republic style deal, after we kick things off by unilaterally annexing the Isle of Man.

1 hour ago, Juanhourjoe said:

Future Welsh governments could build up a better economy over time. As With Shtrep says, the London centric economy hasn't been good for Welsh prosperity. It would be up to the imagination and skills of the Welsh people to build something new under better investment conditions.

You know what would be good for Welsh prosperity? Some sort of European Governmentthat spends a fortune on infrastructure for deprived parts of Wales. But they voted against that. 

1 hour ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

The Union of Soviet Celtic Republics.

Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Isle of Man, Cornwall and Breton.

Pan-Celticism for the win comrades.

IMG_20210117_184121.thumb.jpg.f842286702b6e0ad2f4496712b630874.jpg

We all know who'd be the chad, Russian-style federation doing all the heavy lifting, space flight pioneering and Nazi killing in the republic, and who'd be the Ukraine-level dweebs tagging along and trying to defect to the enemy though.

Cardiff would need a Marshal of the Republic stationed there at all times to keep those diddies in line.

tumblr_83188c3109ca31ccfd5794c207876ce2_36d5130f_540.gif.12277ef319033aac17b72b49abefa8bd.gif

4 hours ago, Erih Shtrep said:

A think this movement is big enough to merit its own thread.   

Membership for Yes Cymru has increased to 17,000 and the several AUOB marches have been well attended

image.jpeg.f2d7afdec34ba0d42d12fb6e2245c381.jpegimage.jpeg.5288e961fb5c9d65e84a0b4b1a4e17f8.jpegimage.jpeg.5a2d7a829638faa52de53e9085c8d681.jpeg

Support for Welsh Independence continues to increase with just over 1 in 2 against the idea 

image.png.fd538377deb0563560a45a1e198e9e7a.png

Plaid Cymru leader Adam Price plans to offer a referendum if they win May's election to the Senedd, but support for independence hasn't resulted in a rush towards Plaid.   Opinion polls suggest around 40% of Labour voters back independence but unlike in Scotland there hasn't been a move towards the 'nationalists'.    

image.png.8a9d842bd6b1ce98720a6359c75fd44a.png

Labour remains heavy odds-on (1/5) favourites to gain the most seats at the Welsh assembly elections.  You can get 5's on the Tories with Plaid 18/1.   

Regardless there's marches planned for 2021 and the movement towards Welsh Independence continues, and we've witnessed how quickly things can snowball.    I really like Adam Price, give him a platform and he'll increase the numbers further.   

imagine looking at welsh labour and thinking ‘yes, those guys are doing a good job, let’s keep them in’

Oh Brother Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

welsh independence isn’t an bad idea, but it can only work if the welsh start to actually make sensible decisions at the polling booth.

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

^^^That and the main population centres are far closer to England than ours with much better transport links than they have from one part of Wales to another.

That does make national unity difficult, but they also have a common language that is far more widely spoken. As a nation I'd say that Wales is better defined in many ways than Scotland, but less well defined for the reasons you mention. 

As a state though, there has never been a unified single welsh state and they lack many of the institutions (especially law) that make Scottish civic nationalism potentially a more practical proposition.