Aberdeen Mcinnes what would you do thread.

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

What’s better 3rd place and no cup or 11th and no cup? 

There's an element of lottery to the cups. Derek’s numbers haven't come up yet but it doesn't mean they won't. 

Less so Europe but there's stlll the luck of the draw. Maybe twice we had a reasonable expectation to go further and didn't. But we can't get started without a reasonable league finish. 

This is where I know I'm going to get shunned by the Dandies but that genuinely depends on a few things.

If you have a rollercoaster season where you end up surviving on the last day, or beating a rival in the play-offs to stay up, I'd consider that more exciting (and therefore 'better' to me as a fan) than a boring season where you beat everyone but the Old Firm and hit the glass ceiling in 3rd.

I think sometimes football fans confuse what they want and their board wants (ie. high league finishes, more money to pay themselves with, increased season ticket prices).

I have very low aspirations for Hibs as a club. If they continue to play their home games at Easter Road, run out in green and white, keep season ticket prices at a vaguely affordable level, and don't get taken over by Red Bull, I'll consider anything beyond that a bonus. Seriously.

1 minute ago, HibsFan said:

This is where I know I'm going to get shunned by the Dandies but that genuinely depends on a few things.

If you have a rollercoaster season where you end up surviving on the last day, or beating a rival in the play-offs to stay up, I'd consider that more exciting (and therefore 'better' to me as a fan) than a boring season where you beat everyone but the Old Firm and hit the glass ceiling in 3rd.

I think sometimes football fans confuse what they want and their board wants (ie. high league finishes, more money to pay themselves with, increased season ticket prices).

I have very low aspirations for Hibs as a club. If they continue to play their home games at Easter Road, run out in green and white, keep season ticket prices at a vaguely affordable level, and don't get taken over by Red Bull, I'll consider anything beyond that a bonus. Seriously.

I did enjoy Ebbe's time in charge but not Alex Mi****'s. It depends on what type of shite is being served. Usually though, bad is just bad. 

7 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Great, so when can we expect one from McInnes then?

Hibs, who don't qualify regularly, matched Aberdeen's best European run since McInnes took over, reaching the third qualifying round in 2018/19.

Cool, so as established Hibs win a similar amount of trophies as Aberdeen and haven’t done any better in Europe but Aberdeen fans should be weirdly happy with underperforming in the league also as apparently it’s somehow inextricably linked with winning cups?

This sounds more that you need other fans to care less about the league just so you feel better about Hibs underperforming more than they should. I doubt any Aberdeen fan on here wouldn’t swap any one of the 2nd or 3rd place finishes for another cup but we haven’t so are being realistic enough about what relatively meagre achievements we have made rather than some fantasy, pretendy being a bit shit means you’re more likely to win trophies bollocks that you’re talking about.

44 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Yet you're aspirations for Aberdeen are that top 4 minimum (including beating big spending **** to 2nd twice) / getting in more finals than any other team in Mcinnes time minus Celtic (giving us more chances to win a cup) and more attempts at Europe (including decent games against Sporting/Burnley/Sociedad etc over the years) is shite.

Okayyyyyyy 🙄

1 hour ago, HibsFan said:

I get the sentiment of your argument, I actually do. But I’m not sure it stands the test of objective reality. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

I'll tell you one thing, it's a lot more fun watching Aberdeen finish 2nd/3rd/4th under McInnes than it was watching us scraping 7th/8th/9th under Brown, McGhee, Miller et al.

However, it's an undoubted fact that McInnes has been let down by being unable to win the Scottish cup. This is what HibsFan alludes to, and of course he's right. 

Should we have won it in the last 7 years ? Well, having the 3rd largest budget (more or less) in the country is no guarantee of cup success. You can win 15 league games in a row and then  have an off day in the 3rd round and bang, you're out. 

To win the cup you usually need 5 good one-off performances, and more often then not, get lucky. I'm not demeaning Hibs cup winning year, but I seem to remember them getting lucky at Tynecastle, and then getting a few decent draws which included playing the team at the bottom of the Premiership in the semi-final and a lower league club in the final. 

They still had to win these games of course, but that's the element of luck which often helps club win trophies.

For me, the missed opportunity that jumps out was the semi final at Ibrox against St Johnstone in 2014. Controlling the game, 1 up, we missed a hatful of great chances and them lost to a Stevie May 1-2, when we should have had a final against the Arabs....and a golden chance for a cup double... wrapped up. 

The next couple of seasons we drew Dundee and Hearts away early on and went out to two pathetic performances. All the more galling in 2015 because the final was ICT against Falkirk. Nuts. Another huge chance missed.

After that, we suddenly discovered cup form only to constantly run up against an unbeatable Celtic team more often than not. 

Maybe it will still happen. Fergie took 8 years to win the League cup with Aberdeen, so who knows.

Genuinely though, explain to me as a football fan, what's good about consistent top four finishes if they aren't backed up by cup successes or meaningful runs in Europe?

Nothing much to be honest. Sadly this is the state of affairs we have to put up with in Scotland, where two teams dominate and have all the resources. That said, you’ve missed my point slightly - the scenario you’ve put to me there is miles better than finishing in the bottom six and not doing as well in the cups, which is what could happen to Aberdeen should they decide to punt McInnes. There isn’t anyone standing out to me that can better what he’s achieved.

Maybe I'm just not wired right as a football fan, but this relentless obsession that some Aberdeen fans have with good league finishes, as if they actually mean something even if you don't perform in Europe/the cups, is just something I'll never understand.
Give me the cups and some good European runs any day over just grinding out third or fourth place every season, please.

Aberdeen’s recent (past two decades) record in Europe is notably better than Hibs, McInnes has led them to the third qualifier multiple times.

He only has the League Cup to his name but in fairness Aberdeen would have won more cups had they not been up against a phenomenal Celtic side. My main gripe with McInnes and Aberdeen is their failure to challenge Celtic for the league title. Aberdeen were top one January and then shat the bed. Celtic were there for the taking.

I’m sure if you asked any Aberdeen fan if they would accept a poor league placing in exchange for the Scottish Cup they’d bite your hand off.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'll tell you one thing, it's a lot more fun watching Aberdeen finish 2nd/3rd/4th under McInnes than it was watching us scraping 7th/8th/9th under Brown, McGhee, Miller et al.

However, it's an undoubted fact that McInnes has been let down by being unable to win the Scottish cup. This is what HibsFan alludes to, and of course he's right. 

Should we have won it in the last 7 years ? Well, having the 3rd largest budget (more or less) in the country is no guarantee of cup success. You can win 15 league games in a row and then  have an off day in the 3rd round and bang, you're out. 

To win the cup you usually need 5 good one-off performances, and more often then not, get lucky. I'm not demeaning Hibs cup winning year, but I seem to remember them getting lucky at Tynecastle, and then getting a few decent draws which included playing the team at the bottom of the Premiership in the semi-final and a lower league club in the final. 

They still had to win these games of course, but that's the element of luck which often helps club win trophies.

For me, the missed opportunity that jumps out was the semi final at Ibrox against St Johnstone in 2014. Controlling the game, 1 up, we missed a hatful of great chances and them lost to a Stevie May 1-2, when we should have had a final against the Arabs....and a golden chance for a cup double... wrapped up. 

The next couple of seasons we drew Dundee and Hearts away early on and went out to two pathetic performances. All the more galling in 2015 because the final was ICT against Falkirk. Nuts. Another huge chance missed.

After that, we suddenly discovered cup form only to constantly run up against an unbeatable Celtic team more often than not. 

Maybe it will still happen. Fergie took 8 years to win the League cup with Aberdeen, so who knows.

Mitigated by the fact he'd won everything else prior to that including the European Super Cup.

14 hours ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

As much as I think McInnes has overstayed his tenure at Pittodrie, you have to think, in the present climate , who do you appoint now that Yogi has gone to County.

Stuart Baxter obviously

Guest Bob Mahelp
11 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Mitigated by the fact he'd won everything else prior to that including the European Super Cup.

True, but we had a weird block about the League cup under Fergie. We could never beat United or Celtic in the competition, and they year after we won the European double Airdrie knocked us out at Broomfield. 

Sometimes it's just like that...

7 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

True, but we had a weird block about the League cup under Fergie. We could never beat United or Celtic in the competition, and they year after we won the European double Airdrie knocked us out at Broomfield. 

Sometimes it's just like that...

My post was slightly tongue in cheek, but there's no doubt not winning the League Cup until he did was an anomaly. Don't think it would have detracted much from his legacy had he not won it, but  glad that he did obviously!

• 1 month later...