Aberdeen Mcinnes what would you do thread.

6 hours ago, afc_blockhead said:

Spot on regarding Calderwood.

Although the earlier seasons were not as brutal in terms of football played, it was never great under him. A lot of Lee Miller falling over once we signed him to try and win set pieces.

Some great games during that period but a lot of dross. The cup record (which Mcinnes gets slaughtered for) as you say was appalling under Calderwood. Queen of the South was atrocious, add in cup exits to Queens Park, Dunfermline and a hammering from a shite Dundee United in a semi final and you can see how bad it was.  

We never even got to a final in 14 years pre Mcinnes. In the last 4 alone we've had 2 league cup finals (both Celtic) and 1 Scottish Cup Final (Celtic) and 3 semi finals (Motherwell/Celtic/Celtic). Even the other 2 were Quarter Finals (Hearts on Penalties & Motherwell again).

2 second places and 2 fourth places (1 on goal difference and 1 in a heavily curtailed season by 2 points) in the league in that time.

Yet some revisionists are determined to paint Calderwood's era as better 😄

Tbf I don’t think I’ve seen anyone on here even suggest that Calderwood’s era was better. 

I’ve not even seen anyone on twitter suggest that. The hat may be a different matter...

18 hours ago, TheScarf said:

f**k sake, you lost against a side with a new manager bounce, who 9 times out of 10 you would sweep aside easily.  You'll still finish 3rd. (Probably)

FTFY

17 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

IMG_20210118_013653.thumb.jpg.350acfe4c100eae86c0b6f83cc4a1f74.jpg

Shocking scenes from outside Pittodrie yesterday.

Noce of them to use his first name

17 hours ago, coprolite said:

Another way to look at it is we just got hammered by the team in last and look on course to finish behind a much smaller club for the third year running.

I agree that folk are getting a bit hysterical in general though

See the source image

10 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:
11 hours ago, HibsFan said:
Still, least you're not bothered about it.

Not bothered at all. Just like a wee stat to prove a point.

Lies, damned lies and HibsFan getting in a strop...

The thing is 3rd place (if one of the top 2 win the cup) gets you a Europa League Play-off spot, which guarantees third group stage football in at least the Conference League, if not the Europa.

That's been McInnes' (and Cormack's) ambition at Pittodrie, to get into the Group Stages of Europe. Surely, Aberdeen would stick with him til the end of the season. If he misses out on third, then its a different conversation.

If we are being realistic, who could Aberdeen currently appoint that could do as decent a job as Derek has done the past 7-8 years? In April 2013 when he took over they finished 8th. Since then they have finished no lower than 4th.

Surely Aberdeen fans would not want to settle for anything less than what they are getting now? For the next manager to be a success he would not only have to replicate what McInnes has done but he would have to go a step further, which can only mean one or all of the following:

1. win the Scottish Cup

2. Finish second or win the league

3. Enter the Europa League Group stages.

Be careful what you wish for. Getting rid of McInnes because people feel Aberdeen are "stagnating" is, IMO, a bad idea. There would have to be a high profile manager lined up for the job to justify it and even then it would be a gamble because you would risk losing the consistent top 4 finishes and return to the days of having bottom six finishes - pish by Aberdeen standards.

11 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

If we are being realistic, who could Aberdeen currently appoint that could do as decent a job as Derek has done the past 7-8 years? In April 2013 when he took over they finished 8th. Since then they have finished no lower than 4th.

Surely Aberdeen fans would not want to settle for anything less than what they are getting now? For the next manager to be a success he would not only have to replicate what McInnes has done but he would have to go a step further, which can only mean one or all of the following:

1. win the Scottish Cup

2. Finish second or win the league

3. Enter the Europa League Group stages.

Be careful what you wish for. Getting rid of McInnes because people feel Aberdeen are "stagnating" is, IMO, a bad idea. There would have to be a high profile manager lined up for the job to justify it and even then it would be a gamble because you would risk losing the consistent top 4 finishes and return to the days of having bottom six finishes - pish by Aberdeen standards.

Genuinely though, explain to me as a football fan, what's good about consistent top four finishes if they aren't backed up by cup successes or meaningful runs in Europe?

Because, yes, you can point to "well consistent top four finishes help to increase their budget", but that's been the case for 7 years and it's not won them a single trophy or taken them past the third qualifying round.

Where is the excitement in finishing in the top four every season, knowing that you'll almost certainly never finish higher than 2nd and, now, most likely 3rd? Especially when the avenues to cups and Europa League group stages seem so shut off with someone like McInnes in charge.

Maybe I'm just not wired right as a football fan, but this relentless obsession that some Aberdeen fans have with good league finishes, as if they actually mean something even if you don't perform in Europe/the cups, is just something I'll never understand.

Give me the cups and some good European runs any day over just grinding out third or fourth place every season, please.

Hibs fans seem far more obsessed with Aberdeen’s league finishes than even Aberdeen fans are.

Also good European runs are more likely when you actually qualify regularly. Hibs have won about the same number of cups as Aberdeen in the last 30 years or so and have they had any significant runs in Europe? Not really sure where the condescension is coming from? 

If league finishes are so unimportant why do football fans all over the world call for their managers to be sacked so often. Claiming that league finishes being important as a rare Aberdeen thing is a pretty odd take.

17 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Also good European runs are more likely when you actually qualify regularly.

Great, so when can we expect one from McInnes then?

Hibs, who don't qualify regularly, matched Aberdeen's best European run since McInnes took over, reaching the third qualifying round in 2018/19.

17 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

If league finishes are so unimportant why do football fans all over the world call for their managers to be sacked so often. Claiming that league finishes being important as a rare Aberdeen thing is a pretty odd take.

Because football fans are largely idiots and have bought into a belief - generated by a media desperate for clicks and talking points - that a few defeats on the spin should see a manager sacked? McInnes shouldn't be sacked FWIW, he should have the humility* to walk away, realising he can't take Aberdeen any further than the bare minimum league finishes that he's achieved with them on a big, unprecedented budget.

This thread talks about elite football, but it's just as true of Aberdeen, Hibs and many other clubs. What's the point in us just...existing (for want of a better word) to end up third/fourth and do absolutely nothing with it?

Cups and Europe. All that should matter to sides like Aberdeen. Given his budget and the supposed "consistency" that relentlessly finishing in the top four has brought Aberdeen, McInnes has clearly underperformed on both. Finishing in the top four of a league is not something you look back on fondly in fifty years time, face facts.

*Something he doesn't have as a west coast Levein, oozing arrogance and a stubborn belief that his methods are right no matter how many managers show him up both here and abroad.

Edited by HibsFan

39 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Genuinely though, explain to me as a football fan, what's good about consistent top four finishes if they aren't backed up by cup successes or meaningful runs in Europe?

Because, yes, you can point to "well consistent top four finishes help to increase their budget", but that's been the case for 7 years and it's not won them a single trophy or taken them past the third qualifying round.

Where is the excitement in finishing in the top four every season, knowing that you'll almost certainly never finish higher than 2nd and, now, most likely 3rd? Especially when the avenues to cups and Europa League group stages seem so shut off with someone like McInnes in charge.

Maybe I'm just not wired right as a football fan, but this relentless obsession that some Aberdeen fans have with good league finishes, as if they actually mean something even if you don't perform in Europe/the cups, is just something I'll never understand.

Give me the cups and some good European runs any day over just grinding out third or fourth place every season, please.

What’s better 3rd place and no cup or 11th and no cup? 

There's an element of lottery to the cups. Derek’s numbers haven't come up yet but it doesn't mean they won't. 

Less so Europe but there's stlll the luck of the draw. Maybe twice we had a reasonable expectation to go further and didn't. But we can't get started without a reasonable league finish. 

44 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

More trolling from the Aberdeen obsessive.

Rather than engage with the drivel I will say 3 things :

. In the last 10 years Hibs finishes in the league would be - 10th /11th/7th/11th (Relegated) / 2nd/3rd/1st (all in Championship) / 4th/5th/7th (SPL) . You don't "care" about league finishes because your team has had shit ones for a decade in the top league. As someone else said you will have wanted managers out who had you finishing in the bottom 6 (5 of your last 7 Premiership seasons). 

. Cup wins and finals matter to you? 1 cup win but not even another final since as far back as 2012! Must be shit being a Hibs fan by this measurement you've created.

. European Runs ?! You have had 3 goes at Europe since 2011 which achieved nothing. Well.. a 7 nil loss at home to Malmo. Again must be shit being a Hibs fans by this measurement you've created.

Even your cup win (which took over a fucking century to happen!) happened a couple of years after we last won a trophy.  You "should" win the league cup this season , although Hibsing it can be expected.

Aberdeen also regularly beat your glittering team of Brazil 1970's esque footballers.

Basically, you are talking shite / Aberdeen make you feel inferior (correctly) and you are a cock 😄

Edited by afc_blockhead