Aberdeen Mcinnes what would you do thread.

1 hour ago, betting competition said:

The first 4 seasons under McInnes it was really good to watch but the last 3 has been dreadful. I've noticed a few Hibs fans are turning on Ross with the type of football they are playing.

Blame Richie Foran and Kenny Cameron for the downturn over the last 3 years.

Aberdeen needs a strong ICTFC.

Edited by PB1994

Problem for Aberdeen is you've had McInnes for 8 years so no real comparisons. In that time we've had Fenlon(nice guy but poor manager) Butcher (c**t and dreadful manager), Stubbs(nice guy and what we needed at the time, though if he hadn't won the cup he would have been deemed a failure). Lennon(c**t and erratic manager but got the job done) Heckingbottom (nice guy but poor manager). Jury still out on Ross but comparing him to the others I think he's doing a decent enough job and if he gets us the League Cup I think that would go a long way to appease the bed wetters. He does infuriate with team selection and subs but I think he's still learning. The style of football has been pretty erratic as well in this time with only periods under Stubbs and Lennon being exciting. I think what I'm trying to say is be careful what you wish for.......
I think herein lies a lot of the problem, our last manager to have (relative) success was Calderwood and he only managed league finishes of 4-6-3-4-4 and two domestic Cup semis, both of which ended in abject humiliation (1-4 vs United and 3-4 vs QotS). This was alongside numerous cup humiliations, and we only qualified for Europe twice. However, I'm hearing increasingly more fans referring to this as some sort of golden era in comparison to McInnes. Yes the UEFA cup run was nice but we only had to play one qualifier, in which we got two draws and only needed to win one group game to qualify for the last 32. That run is being used as a stick with which to beat McInnes now by those who want him out while conveniently forgetting that
1. We were abject in domestic Cup competitions
2. Calderwood spent a fucking fortune
3. Towards the end of Calderwoods era the football was as bad as it is now.

27 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I think herein lies a lot of the problem, our last manager to have (relative) success was Calderwood and he only managed league finishes of 4-6-3-4-4 and two domestic Cup semis, both of which ended in abject humiliation (1-4 vs United and 3-4 vs QotS). This was alongside numerous cup humiliations, and we only qualified for Europe twice. However, I'm hearing increasingly more fans referring to this as some sort of golden era in comparison to McInnes. Yes the UEFA cup run was nice but we only had to play one qualifier, in which we got two draws and only needed to win one group game to qualify for the last 32. That run is being used as a stick with which to beat McInnes now by those who want him out while conveniently forgetting that
1. We were abject in domestic Cup competitions
2. Calderwood spent a fucking fortune
3. Towards the end of Calderwoods era the football was as bad as it is now.

Spot on regarding Calderwood.

Although the earlier seasons were not as brutal in terms of football played, it was never great under him. A lot of Lee Miller falling over once we signed him to try and win set pieces.

Some great games during that period but a lot of dross. The cup record (which Mcinnes gets slaughtered for) as you say was appalling under Calderwood. Queen of the South was atrocious, add in cup exits to Queens Park, Dunfermline and a hammering from a shite Dundee United in a semi final and you can see how bad it was.  

We never even got to a final in 14 years pre Mcinnes. In the last 4 alone we've had 2 league cup finals (both Celtic) and 1 Scottish Cup Final (Celtic) and 3 semi finals (Motherwell/Celtic/Celtic). Even the other 2 were Quarter Finals (Hearts on Penalties & Motherwell again).

2 second places and 2 fourth places (1 on goal difference and 1 in a heavily curtailed season by 2 points) in the league in that time.

Yet some revisionists are determined to paint Calderwood's era as better 😄

Edited by afc_blockhead

57 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

f**k sake, you lost against a side with a new manager bounce, who 9 times out of 10 you would sweep aside easily.  You'll still finish 3rd.

Another way to look at it is we just got hammered by the team in last and look on course to finish behind a much smaller club for the third year running.

I agree that folk are getting a bit hysterical in general though

11 hours ago, afc_blockhead said:

We also finished above a big spending Sevco in 2nd in 1 of the seasons.

Slight correction, twice.

In both 2016/17 and 2017/18, Sevco came 3rd - behind both Celtic and Aberdeen each time.

Edited by tarapoa

22 hours ago, HibsFan said:

Argue all you want, but here's the long and short of it, lads.

When I was running around the Hampden pitch after seeing my side beat Rangers in the Scottish Cup final, there wasn't even the tiniest part of me going "god I'd trade it all in for a run of top four finishes and getting no further than the third qualifying round in Europe

That's fair enough given the monkey on your back with the 1902 thing - but probably the Scottish equivalent of a Wigan fan saying they're glad they don't have to watch Spurs each week.

The 38-game league season is really the gauge of how good a side you're watching.

23 hours ago, HibsFan said:

Argue all you want, but here's the long and short of it, lads.

When I was running around the Hampden pitch after seeing my side beat Rangers in the Scottish Cup final, there wasn't even the tiniest part of me going "god I'd trade it all in for a run of top four finishes and getting no further than the third qualifying round in Europe, all the while playing turgid football under Derek McInnes".

If you'd make that trade, then you Aberdonians are even more dour than your reputation.

I'm sure when your tinpot club was in the lower leagues you would happily traded our top four finishes.

And well done on the Scottish Cup win but I seem to remember that Final was between 2 lower league clubs.....

Just looked up our cup final history, League and Scottish.

Of our 31 finals.
vs Rangers 3/12
vs Celtic 4/11
vs Hibs 2/2
vs St Mirren 1/2
vs ICT 1/1
vs Dundee 1/1
vs Hearts 1/1
vs Dundee Utd 0/1

St Mirren and Dundee Utd the only non Old Firm teams to beat us in a final for 6/8

Hibs have been in 24 finals facing
Celtic 2/9
Rangers 1/3
Dumbarton 1/1
Dunfermline 1/1
Kilmarnock 1/1
Aberdeen 0/2
Hearts 0/2
Motherwell, Airdrie, Clyde, Livingston, Ross Co 0/1

So Hibs 3/12 against non Old Firm opposition in finals.

Why do they call it Hibsing it?

13 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Just looked up our cup final history, League and Scottish.

Of our 31 finals.
vs Rangers 3/12
vs Celtic 4/11
vs Hibs 2/2
vs St Mirren 1/2
vs ICT 1/1
vs Dundee 1/1
vs Hearts 1/1
vs Dundee Utd 0/1

St Mirren and Dundee Utd the only non Old Firm teams to beat us in a final for 6/8

Hibs have been in 24 finals facing
Celtic 2/9
Rangers 1/3
Dumbarton 1/1
Dunfermline 1/1
Kilmarnock 1/1
Aberdeen 0/2
Hearts 0/2
Motherwell, Airdrie, Clyde, Livingston, Ross Co 0/1

So Hibs 3/12 against non Old Firm opposition in finals.

Why do they call it Hibsing it?

Still, least you're not bothered about it.