Aberdeen Mcinnes what would you do thread.

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm not being picky here, but within the last 10 years Hibs have been relegated and spent a couple of years in a lower division.  Your perception of 'success' is based (maybe correctly) on one Scottish cup win. In the same period of time, Aberdeen under McInnes have been remarkably consistent in the league and had the best European results of any Scottish side outside the OF in the last 30 years.

However, I think it's generally agreed that when McInnes eventually leaves Pittodrie, there will be justified criticism of his cup record. Well, his inability to win trophies to be more precise. We've been in a ridiculous amount of semi-finals and finals, but we've stumbled either through being utter pish or more often than not coming up against an unbeatable Celtic team.  

Somebody pointed out above that in the last 7 years, Hibs, Hearts and the Arabs.....teams with considerable budgets.....have all been relegated, while Aberdeen under McInnes have regularly been qualifying for Europe. That shouldn't be underestimated.

I still believe that the consistency of McInnes'  record with Aberdeen entitles him to some breathing space. I do understand though that others have a different opinion. 

The mcinnes era ‘might’ be coming to an end, but he should be looked back on fondly, without question. As a club we’ve progressed massively over the period, even if the first XI on the pitch at present is under achieving. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm not being picky here, but within the last 10 years Hibs have been relegated and spent a couple of years in a lower division.  Your perception of 'success' is based (maybe correctly) on one Scottish cup win. In the same period of time, Aberdeen under McInnes have been remarkably consistent in the league and had the best European results of any Scottish side outside the OF in the last 30 years.

However, I think it's generally agreed that when McInnes eventually leaves Pittodrie, there will be justified criticism of his cup record. Well, his inability to win trophies to be more precise. We've been in a ridiculous amount of semi-finals and finals, but we've stumbled either through being utter pish or more often than not coming up against an unbeatable Celtic team.  

Somebody pointed out above that in the last 7 years, Hibs, Hearts and the Arabs.....teams with considerable budgets.....have all been relegated, while Aberdeen under McInnes have regularly been qualifying for Europe. That shouldn't be underestimated.

I still believe that the consistency of McInnes'  record with Aberdeen entitles him to some breathing space. I do understand though that others have a different opinion. 

Unfortunately that will be his legacy. The Mark McGhee etc years will be forgotten, and McInnes will be judged a (relative) failure. (Not by me.)

Edited by Jacksgranda
Update

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, Jacksgranda said:

Unfortunately that will be his legacy. The Mark McGhee etc years will be forgotten, and McInnes will be judged a (relative) failure.

If the next manager comes in and instantly wins a cup double, then that will be the case. 

But I have the nasty feeling that a some point in the next 5 years, when McInnes is gone, we're going to be pining for an Aberdeen team with the same strength and general consistency as the sides under McInnes. 

10 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I think it's generally agreed that when McInnes eventually leaves Pittodrie, there will be justified criticism of his cup record. Well, his inability to win trophies to be more precise

And this is where the entire argument will always be between Aberdeen fans.

How do you judge a manager? Good league placing/euro results, or silverware.

I suppose only you guys can decide.

Well, you and the radge that is 

@Sortmeout

Edited by Green Day

1 minute ago, Green Day said:

@Sortmeout

It’s a question with no right answer really, from a fans perspective anyway. I’m sure hibs fans wouldn’t trade anything for that 2016 final but similarly I shudder to think where Aberdeen would be if we’d had Alan Stubbs for 8 years. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s a question with no right answer really, from a fans perspective anyway. I’m sure hibs fans wouldn’t trade anything for that 2016 final but similarly I shudder to think where Aberdeen would be if we’d had Alan Stubbs for 8 years. 

Yep.

And in fact every Hibs fan would agree that Stubbs was a great cup manager, we got to loads of semis and finals in his short time, but was utterly mince as a league manager.

Top marks at pumping the physio though.........

12 minutes ago, Green Day said:

@Sortmeout

Think the ideal world would be to do all of them which I’m pretty sure McInnes has done.

If McInnes does get sacked who do you think Aberdeen would want to replace him out of the following choices:

Steve Clarke

Alan (Scottish Cup winner) Stubbs

7 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Yep.

And in fact every Hibs fan would agree that Stubbs was a great cup manager, we got to loads of semis and finals in his short time, but was utterly mince as a league manager.

Top marks at pumping the physio though.........

Surely that should be in the NSFW forum? (Along with your incriminating photies.)

17 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

If the next manager comes in and instantly wins a cup double, then that will be the case. 

But I have the nasty feeling that a some point in the next 5 years, when McInnes is gone, we're going to be pining for an Aberdeen team with the same strength and general consistency as the sides under McInnes. 

Agree with this

My top 5 Dons manager: 

1/ Alex Ferguson

2/ Eddie Turnbull

3/ Probably Derek McInnes, but Ally McLeod would run him close

4/ D McInnes or A McLeod.

5/ Alex Smith and Jocky Scott

Craig Brown deserves a mention for steadying the ship.

Dave Halliday and Davie Shaw won trophies, too, but that was before my time. Donald Colman was also highly thought of (although he was "only" a coach). (Way before my time. Probably before my father's time, too.)

Note: This may not tally with any previous post about my top 5 Dons' managers.

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

My top 5 Dons manager: 

1/ Alex Ferguson

2/ Eddie Turnbull

3/ Probably Derek McInnes, but Ally McLeod would run him close

4/ D McInnes or A McLeod.

5/ Alex Smith and Jocky Scott

Craig Brown deserves a mention for steadying the ship.

Dave Halliday and Davie Shaw won trophies, too, but that was before my time. Donald Colman was also highly thought of (although he was "only" a coach). (Way before my time. Probably before my father's time, too.)

Note: This may not tally with any previous post about my top 5 Dons' managers.

Good list granda, but the man that's always forgotten is Billy McNeil.

Only one season at the Pitt o'dreams, but damn near won the league and got to the cup final. He also brought Gordon Strachan and Steve Archibald to the club, and effectively laid the foundations for Fergie to build the skyscaper on. 

There was no acrimony when he left to go back to his beloved Celtic, but I'm 100% certain he would have been a legendary Aberdeen manager. As it was, his 12 months in charge were absolutely pivotal to the future success of the club. A great man, a great manager.

Edited by Bob Mahelp

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Good list granda, but the man that's always forgotten is Billy McNeil.

Only one season at the Pitt o'dreams, but damn near won the league and got to the cup final. He also brought Gordon Strachan and Steve Archibald to the club, and effectively laid the foundations for Fergie to build the skyscaper on. 

There was no acrimony when he left to go back to his beloved Celtic, but I'm 100% certain he would have been a legendary Aberdeen manager. As it was, his 12 months in charge were absolutely pivotal to the future success of the club. A great man, a great manager.

I had a good think about including him, actually.

He would make my top 6. I sometimes wonder how things would have panned out had he stayed at Pittodrie and Alex had gone elsewhere. (Not sure where he could have gone to, tbh. Hearts? Hibs? The sleeping giant that was Dundee?.)

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

In the same period of time, Aberdeen under McInnes have ... had the best European results of any Scottish side outside the OF in the last 30 years.

Can’t say I agree with this. JC was obviously nowhere near as good a manager for us as McInnes has been, but his 2007-2008 European campaign was far more successful than any McInnes has had. Yes, it was only one campaign, and you can argue about individual results for sure, but not getting beyond the third qualifying round once can’t compare to reaching the last 32, no matter how it was achieved.

1 hour ago, TonyFerrino said:

The Hibs fabs are so happy as there are a handful of boisterous Aberdeen roasters who float about like bad a bad smell on Hibs match day threads when we are losing - you won't see that obviously so you'll just have to take my word for it.

They hang about on the Aberdeen threads like a bad smell too in fairness.

42 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

Can’t say I agree with this. JC was obviously nowhere near as good a manager for us as McInnes has been, but his 2007-2008 European campaign was far more successful than any McInnes has had. Yes, it was only one campaign, and you can argue about individual results for sure, but not getting beyond the third qualifying round once can’t compare to reaching the last 32, no matter how it was achieved.

They hang about on the Aberdeen threads like a bad smell too in fairness.

Jimmy Calderwood team in Europe that season won 1 game. It was also easier to qualify for group stages as we only needed to get through 1 game. To be fair we did play high level opposition and at home we was excellent not losing any games. 

If we finish 3rd this season then we would be in group stages of a European competition which it doesn't look like Mcinnes will be involved.

Edited by betting competition

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Woah, woah, woah. Let's back that up.

Rijeka (I) and Groningen away aside, what other results are we talking about here Bob?

Just now, HibsFan said:

Rijeka (I) and Groningen away aside, what other results are we talking about here Bob?

Aye that threw me a bit as well.

I don’t even think it’s the best European record of an Aberdeen manager since the turn of the century.

10 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Well, we're not talking this one See the source image